This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hard Alcohol

ERR

ERR Apprentice

Hi All. I am a guy that got diagnosed with Celiac about 3 years ago. I went gluten free got tested and have never looked back. I have thought that I am not particularly sensitive as I have only glutened myself 4 or 5 times in 3 years. However, I have had a problem now for 6 months. I have been having what feels like a urinary tract infection (burning, itching, difficulty emptying bladder completely) that can sometimes seem like it radiates up into my intestines. I have been from doctor to doctor (PCP, Urologist, GI) and have been tested for the basics: UTI, Bladder infections, STDs, even HIV. I took two spearate courses for

Prostatisis but the antibiotics weren't effective.

But I have a theory. The symptoms come and go. Some weeks symptom free. I drink a fair amount (usually wine). My theory is that this is a Celiac response to bourbon. It seems like about 24 hours after I drink bourbon I get the symptoms.

So my question is this -- anyone ever have similar symptoms? I never got the GI symptoms of Celiac, so I realize I may just react differently to different things. Any advice, input, experiences greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stanleymonkey Explorer

bourbon is made from corn or more usually, maybe you have a corn sensitivity, or the bourbon is cross contaminated

the gluten is supposed to be removed during distillation, but who knows.

also is caramel colour added? caramel in alcohol is usually from malt

Lisa Mentor

caramel in alcohol is usually from malt

Nawl...that's outdated information. ;) Caramel Color is no longer considers a gluten concern.

ERR Apprentice

bourbon is made from corn or more usually, maybe you have a corn sensitivity, or the bourbon is cross contaminated

the gluten is supposed to be removed during distillation, but who knows.

also is caramel colour added? caramel in alcohol is usually from malt

To tell you the truth I don't know. I have never really paid much attention to the particulars of the bourbon I have been drinking. I searched the archives here and noticed that Jack Daniels is gluten free. So it would be easy enough just to stick to that (although I would miss my Woodford Reserve). Most recently I was drinking Jim Beam.

Separate from the specific cause, has anyone ever experienced UTI type symptoms from glutening?

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

I have similar urinary symptoms, but I'm a girl. The doctors think it's interstitial cystitis, which isn't actually a bladder infection but feels like one. It feels like I can't empty my bladder fully (even though it's empty when it feels like this), aching, throbbing, and like my bladder is full of broken glass. I'm new to this and waiting on a biopsy, so I'm still eating gluten, and now I see it always flares up on days after pizza or wheat pasta. I never saw it sooner because its usually 24hrs (or more) after I've been on a "gluten bender." it's my least favorite gluten pain.

For what it's worth. Azo tablets are really good for my bladder pains, although it turns your pee orange and I don't know if it's gluten-free. I really hope it is, although I guess I won't need it when I quit eating my trigger! Bleh.

I really sympathize. :/

Korwyn Explorer
But I have a theory. The symptoms come and go. Some weeks symptom free. I drink a fair amount (usually wine). My theory is that this is a Celiac response to bourbon. It seems like about 24 hours after I drink bourbon I get the symptoms.

I have problems with one particular Scotch (Bowmore). No other Scotch I've had affects me but this one. So it could be something during the ageing process, perhaps the paste they seal the barrels with. I haven't been able to find out particulars on what they use, which is frustrating because I like this one.

...it's my least favorite gluten pain....

Ok, I have to ask....what is your favorite gluten pain? :D

ERR Apprentice

Thanks guys. I am meeting with the very smart doctor who first diagnosed my Celiac later this week. If he has insight I will bring it back. For right now I think I am going to stick to wine. Meh.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I have problems with one particular Scotch (Bowmore). No other Scotch I've had affects me but this one. So it could be something during the ageing process, perhaps the paste they seal the barrels with. I haven't been able to find out particulars on what they use, which is frustrating because I like this one.

That's interesting. I thought I reacted to Redbreast the time I tried it. Other Irish and Scotch whiskies haven't bothered me. I was wondering if it was in my head. :lol:

Hawthorn Rookie

From a non Gluten viewpoint, are you drinking plenty of water? Alchohol is really dehydrating and I know if I have too much I tend to get cystitis like symptoms. If I take a pint of water before sleeping, not so much of a problem, although i tend to drink water like it's going out of fashion the morning after anyway because I get so thirsty.

It would be a shame to give up your favourite tipple if it's something as simple as needing more water :)

notme Experienced

taking tylenol makes me have all kinds of urinary tract pain. i was skipping ibuprofen for awhile trying to avoid iodine - anything to help make skin clear up. does your bourbon give you a headache? ;) i think this website recommends maker's mark? i use it in recipes as i am not a bourbon drinker.

ERR Apprentice

From a non Gluten viewpoint, are you drinking plenty of water? Alchohol is really dehydrating and I know if I have too much I tend to get cystitis like symptoms. If I take a pint of water before sleeping, not so much of a problem, although i tend to drink water like it's going out of fashion the morning after anyway because I get so thirsty.

It would be a shame to give up your favourite tipple if it's something as simple as needing more water :)

Definitely good advice.

Korwyn Explorer
From a non Gluten viewpoint....

*GASP*

:lol::ph34r::lol::ph34r::lol: BLASPHEMY :lol::ph34r::lol::ph34r::lol:

Don't you know that EVERYTHING revolves around gluten?!?!?!?!?

:D

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

Ok, I have to ask....what is your favorite gluten pain? :D

Gut pain. It makes me feel "normal" after all my reactions that doctors won't link with gluten!

(is that weird? Oh well.)

ndw3363 Contributor

Bladder pain was one of my first symptoms. It lead me to a doctor who put me on two rounds of antibiotics. Which gave me candida problems for 3 years (still fighting it, but winning a little at a time). What worked for me was cutting out starches and sugar for awhile and drink A LOT of water. I try not to drink much - it seems to bring it back every time (although not as severe anymore). I was tested for everything under the sun as well, and was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. Once I changed my diet a bit, my "condition" went away. I know doctors are just trying to help, but until they get on board with dietary/lifestyle changes and natural ways to heal your body, I won't be going to a traditional doctor again (unless an emergency). I was actually told that what I ate would have no effect on my symptoms - seriously?

Korwyn Explorer

Gut pain. It makes me feel "normal" after all my reactions that doctors won't link with gluten!

(is that weird? Oh well.)

:lol: Define: weird! :)

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Gluten definitely caused my interstitial cystitis. I was treated for years with antibiotics and always felt I had a bladder infection but it didn't test positive for bacteria. This problem plagued me for years. I thought it was always going to be there. When I went gluten free to deal with muscle weakness and migraines, I was absolutely shocked to have solved the bladder infection problem accidentally.

I have not had one single episode in the 9 months I have been gluten free.

I don't know about the alcohol issue, but I can positively affirm your theory that gluten can cause bladder infection-like symptoms. It was an unbelievable relief to me to be rid of that problem.

Archived