JenC

Can You Help Me With Test Results?

Rate this topic

Daughter's new ped said he'd ordered full celiac panel including the genetic testing. Not so much. :angry: Here are the results. Can anyone help?

Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody, IGA

Less than 3

Less than 5 = Negative

5-8 = Equivocal

Greater than 8 = Positive

Immunoglobulin A

17 (out of range)

24-121 is the range

Gliadin Antibody, IGA

Less than 3

Less than 11 = Negative

11-17 = Equivocal

Greater than 17 = Positive

Her Hemoglobin is 14.1 (range 11.3-14.1), her Hematocrit is 43.5 (31-41 range), MCV is 90.1 (70-86 range). Do these numbers mean anything?

I'm so frustrated. I don't want to remove gluten if we don't have to, but I sure don't want to leave it in if we shouldn't.

Daughter's new ped said he'd ordered full celiac panel including the genetic testing. Not so much. :angry: Here are the results. Can anyone help?

Immunoglobulin A

17 (out of range)

24-121 is the range

Her Hemoglobin is 14.1 (range 11.3-14.1), her Hematocrit is 43.5 (31-41 range), MCV is 90.1 (70-86 range). Do these numbers mean anything?

I'm so frustrated. I don't want to remove gluten if we don't have to, but I sure don't want to leave it in if we shouldn't.

If serum IgA is really only 17, it is too low and will cause inaccurate results on the celiac tests. Your daughter needs more testing.

Is your daughter having symptoms that might point to celiac? If symptoms go away on a gluten free diet, that tells you as much as any tests.

I agree with the previous poster. She is IGA deficient so the IGA testing is useless. If she is still eating gluten and symptomatic you could ask for an endoscopy but that has a pretty high rate of false negatives also. Giving the diet a strict try may be your best option. Especially if you have other celiacs in the family.

That's what I thought about the IGA deficiency. So there is no other labwork or even stool testing that would tell us anything? We aren't interested in doing a biopsy at this point, as she already went under general anesthesia earlier this year for dental work (due to the gluten problems, we suspect). Yes, she shows many signs of celiac, but my husband is hesitant to do a 3 month trial without some lab results showing we should. Maybe the genetic testing is in order.

Thanks for your replies.

That's what I thought about the IGA deficiency. So there is no other labwork or even stool testing that would tell us anything? We aren't interested in doing a biopsy at this point, as she already went under general anesthesia earlier this year for dental work (due to the gluten problems, we suspect). Yes, she shows many signs of celiac, but my husband is hesitant to do a 3 month trial without some lab results showing we should. Maybe the genetic testing is in order.

Thanks for your replies.

?IGg testing? otherwise tell the husband to back off, lol

?IGg testing? otherwise tell the husband to back off, lol

Is the IgG testing accurate for kids under 5? The more I look the more I think our chances weren't that great of getting a diagnosis in the first place. I think I've got my husband on board to do 3 month trial.

Is the IgG testing accurate for kids under 5? The more I look the more I think our chances weren't that great of getting a diagnosis in the first place. I think I've got my husband on board to do 3 month trial.

All celiac testing has high rates of false negatives and those are even higher in children. Glad to hear your husband is willing to do the 3 month trial but do be strict and take the needed precautions to prevent CC. It wouldn't be a bad idea for you and your husband to get a celiac panel done as it is fairly common that there is more than one celiac in a family from what I have seen.

I am very glad you will have your husband going along with a trial. It can make all the difference in the world to help you succeed! As the poster above said, be really strict and watch the cross contamination. It wouldn't actually hurt to put the whole family on the trial! We have done it, and it was only hard for a very short time until we learned there are plenty of yummy things to eat that don't have gluten!

The hardest thing, I think, was not being able to eat out easily.

Good luck.