sariesue

Requesting Second Tests

Rate this topic

Last year I had an upper endoscopy with 1 biopsy because of some digestive issues I'd been having. My says that the vili looked normal and that nothing was wrong with my gut. Then I was tested for food allergies to gluten and those were negative. My allergist said that I most likely have as gluten intolerance and that if I could try going gluten-free. I went gluten-free for a while and all my symptoms went away. Then I went back to eating gluten to see if it was just a coincidence. Since then my symptoms have come back in full force. I want to get retested for celiac since gluten especially since only one biopsy was taken and he never ran the blood tests. The only problem is that my GI dr refuses to even consider that gluten is the cause of my problems.

Last year I had an upper endoscopy with 1 biopsy because of some digestive issues I'd been having. My says that the vili looked normal and that nothing was wrong with my gut. Then I was tested for food allergies to gluten and those were negative. My allergist said that I most likely have as gluten intolerance and that if I could try going gluten-free. I went gluten-free for a while and all my symptoms went away. Then I went back to eating gluten to see if it was just a coincidence. Since then my symptoms have come back in full force. I want to get retested for celiac since gluten especially since only one biopsy was taken and he never ran the blood tests. The only problem is that my GI dr refuses to even consider that gluten is the cause of my problems.

I do think your body has given you a very clear answer.

That said, are you now eating gluten-free? If so, you'll have to do a gluten challenge before even having a shot at a diagnosis. From what I've read here, that means eating the equivalent of 3 to 4 pieces of bread daily for approx. 3 months. Ouch!

• Upvote 1

I do think your body has given you a very clear answer.

That said, are you now eating gluten-free? If so, you'll have to do a gluten challenge before even having a shot at a diagnosis. From what I've read here, that means eating the equivalent of 3 to 4 pieces of bread daily for approx. 3 months. Ouch!

I haven't really been eating gluten-free recently, more of trying to choose foods that are naturally gluten-free. I'm trying to decide whether or not to get retested before I go completely gluten-free.

I haven't really been eating gluten-free recently, more of trying to choose foods that are naturally gluten-free. I'm trying to decide whether or not to get retested before I go completely gluten-free.

If you have been eating foods that are naturally gluten-free, you'll probably have to do the challenge.

Yes I do realize that I will probably go back to eating tons of wheat, and I'm ok with that. But, can I request a second battery of tests? I would like to go to a different GI dr since I am generally unhappy with the one I have been seeing since I've waited 2 weeks now to get my b-12 levels back.

Your allergist may be able to order a celiac panel based on your improvement on a mostly gluten-free diet. You need to eat gluten for three months to make it worth getting tested.