bhschiedel

Celiac And Teeth/mouth Problems

Rate this topic

Hello--

If you've had problems with your mouth and teeth (eg enamel damage, persistent canker sores, late tooth eruption) that eventually helped confirm your diagnosis of celiac disease, I'd like to hear from you.

I have a strange "rash" on the inside of my cheeks that 3 doctors have looked and and just scratch their heads at, I'm postive it is some strain of thrush, due to the gluten intolerance, but thrush treatment does nothing for it, and it won't go away. I get sores in my mouth, and have one very small one on the inside of my lip that has been there for months, and never goes away. I get canker sores, and my teeth are weak.

My molars never fully formed (had to be closed by the dentist), and I still have a couple that haven't erupted. I usually had a couple different canker sores going at any one time. This didn't help diagnose however, and no doctor ever even suggested celiac disease until I myself insisted on testing.

I've had a lot of dental work done. Bad teeth run in my family.

My Dentist told me about 2 years ago that the enamel on my teeth was bad..like an immune response symptom. I had no idea what she was talking about!

I just went in for a clean and check today. I told her about my recent Dx when I made the appointment so she could check that the polish doesn't have gluten. She was surprised to hear I had Celiac, but she said it really showed in my enamel long before we knew what it was.

My 8yo has teeth problems because of Coeliacs but we were lucky that we figured it out early in her life. It also means she will have ongoing help from the public dental clinic to help prevent any problems.

My 6 1/2 year old has dental issues also. He has multiple fillings in his baby teeth. He also has issues with his bottom 1st permanant molars. They came in looking not right. We went to the dentist last month and I mentioned it to her. She said he has weak/soft enamel on those permanant teeth and the one came in with a cavity! She said when she was drilling the cavity out that some of the unaffected tooth started to crumble also. She had to do more work on the tooth than she expectd. Amalgam filling would not stick to his tooth, so our only option was composite filling. He is working on his top molars now and has not lost any baby teeth yet. It's a wait and see approach right now. I fully expect a lot more dental work in the future.