peeptoad

Genetic Testing For Celiac

Rate this topic

The blood test (or buccal swabs I think can also be used) that look for HLA DQ2 and DQ8 are often used to test for celiac disease, yes?

I think it is an accurate way to determine one's risk for celiac, but not necessarily whether one actually has the disease? (is this correct?)

Anyway, my GI doctor mentioned this test to me last year, but basically told me that it wasn't worth testing because I am adopted (and therefore do not know any genetic history, etc). Does this sound right? I mean, what difference would it make if I don't know anybody biologically related to me? The test would still be a predictor of the disease wouldn't it?

IDK, I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I would benefit from any additional testing. (probably not; I'm almost at the point of giving up on all doctors to help me with this)

Genetic testing can be part of the diagnosis picture but there are more genes associated with celiac than just those 2. Also folks can have the genes and never develop celiac. The best test there is at present is a strict trial of the diet.

Thanks. A trial of the diet is kind of what I figured would be the most accurate(and what you alluded to in another thread). Just wanted to check and see if there was something I was missing re: the genetic test. I've been losing faith in a lot of lab tests as of late... I guess a diagnosis of IBS will do that to a person.

You doc wants you to do a celiac blood test rather than a genetics test because even in the worst case for genetics results, it still does not mean you have celiac disease. It's more useful if you had close relatives, because if it might help you estimate risk for you family members.

There's certainly nothing stopping you from trying gluten free yourself, but I would think hard about it. If you do this you remove the opportunity to do a blood test or biopsy. Neither one will operate properly unless you have been eating gluten for two or three months. So, if you have continuing trouble you will be stuck in limbo wonder if you just aren't properly eating gluten free, or if you just haven't been on the diet long enough. Get the blood test now and handle those doubts.

not all celiacs have the genes for it (i'm thinking 2-3%?).

It helps paint a picture as it were.