This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

DH And Been Glutened

lub2bmom

lub2bmom Apprentice

How fast do you guys break out if you are "glutened" by mistake? I went out to eat with my sister in law tonight to a Mexican restaurant -- and granted i'm newer are this -- so i assumed the corn chips were okay to eat and the wait staff only spoke spanish so they had no idea what gluten free meant -- and by the time i left, i could see hives starting on my wrists... *sigh* ...

Any tips on easing the itch once you have a breakout?

Thanks!

Itchy Diane... :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

May not have been gluten. May be iodine - as in iodized salt, seafood, sea salt, dairy, etc.

Go on a gluten free, low-iodone diet (see description googling "thyca"). If it's DH you should see relief quick, since DH needs iodine to create the sores.

Aside from stopping new sores, everyone has their own way of getting through a breakout. Ice packs and moisturizers work for me.

Good luck.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I almost had all my lesions healed after a year of ups and downs, flares and healing.

Got glutened last week. I thought I had gotten away with it as I had no symptoms for 2 days.

Then got major migraine and the day after new blisters...tiny pinpoint blisters that hurt, hurt, hurt.

Miserable.

I don't know how long it will last, but for now I am avoiding gluten and iodine again. Ugh.

Tea bags moistened...help the pain...but only temporarily.

I thought I would react more quickly and less severely since I had been gluten free for so long.

But I was wrong. Apparently I still have a lot of antibodies in the skin.

Got neurological symptoms now too.

For the itching/pain you can use Walgreens brand of Pain Relieving Ointment...it is just Benzocaine and eases things for a while. Hope the reaction doesn't last long for either one of us. :)

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

I agree it might be iodine! Usually i react within 12 hours or so but I had a salty restaurant meal where I was reddened by the end of it. And then I realized my red complexion all my life was probably DH. It really blows my mind how little iodine it takes to cause a reaction, but restaurants use lots of salt (and sugar and fat) to make their food tasty.

I hope you feel better!

• 2 weeks later...
16mixingbowls Newbie

How fast do you guys break out if you are "glutened" by mistake? I went out to eat with my sister in law tonight to a Mexican restaurant -- and granted i'm newer are this -- so i assumed the corn chips were okay to eat and the wait staff only spoke spanish so they had no idea what gluten free meant -- and by the time i left, i could see hives starting on my wrists... *sigh* ...

Any tips on easing the itch once you have a breakout?

Thanks!

Itchy Diane... :-)

Tortilla chips should be okay but often are fried in the same oil used to fry glutened foods; chille rellenos, the flour tortilla shells for taco salads, etc. Never eat chips in a Mexican food restaurant unless they specifically tell you the chips are in designated oil. Same goes for potato fries; they are often fried in the same oil as chicken wings/tenders and other wheat flour coated foods. I'm posting my first post to this forum after being gluten-free for 5 years, all because I'm beginning to believe my scalp acne isn't acne, but DH. I don't have insurance right now so I'm looking for solutions that don't require an RX. Sorry no tips on easing the breakout!

Archived