glutenfreemamax2

Gluten Challenge For Diagnosis?

Rate this topic

I went gluten-free October of 2010. I hot pregnant but remained gluten-free. I decided to consume gluten the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy so I could have a celiac panel ran. I only made it 3 weeks into the 3 months. I felt so awful and my gi symptoms were so bad I went back gluten-free.

I was talking to my sons gi today, and she said some dr.'s might use the failure of the gluten challenge as a positive for a diagnosis. Anyone know about this?

I went gluten-free October of 2010. I hot pregnant but remained gluten-free. I decided to consume gluten the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy so I could have a celiac panel ran. I only made it 3 weeks into the 3 months. I felt so awful and my gi symptoms were so bad I went back gluten-free.

I was talking to my sons gi today, and she said some dr.'s might use the failure of the gluten challenge as a positive for a diagnosis. Anyone know about this?

As far as I know just from this site it seems not. I know that they deffo don't do it here in Australia - they are looking to change the diagnostic formula that they use here - but that would still require a very high positive blood test - which I assume you don't have either?

I feel your pain - I desperately want a diag as well. But last time I ate a meal of gluteny goodness I ended up in Emergency. It gives me transient intussusception- I have had it 5 times now :blink:

It sounds like your son's GI should also be your GI. My GI doctor also considers this a valid form of diagnosis. He has everyone who has celiac symptoms and negative tests do the diet for a time and then challenge as part of the diagnosis process as he recognizes the high failure rate of blood tests and biopsies.

Gastro doc who wanted me back on glutens for 2 months to retest told me that if I went back into their office with symptoms that they would want to repeat the process all over again, I made it to day 12. Went to new doc, he then told me that when I got too sick to do the testing my gastro should have called it then. Hope that helps you.