Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glutenfreemamax2

Gluten Challenge For Diagnosis?

I went gluten-free October of 2010. I hot pregnant but remained gluten-free. I decided to consume gluten the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy so I could have a celiac panel ran. I only made it 3 weeks into the 3 months. I felt so awful and my gi symptoms were so bad I went back gluten-free.

I was talking to my sons gi today, and she said some dr.'s might use the failure of the gluten challenge as a positive for a diagnosis. Anyone know about this?

Gluten free since 10/1/10

3 year old gluten free since 10/16/10

Diagnosed with IBS in 2000

Appeared on the Dr.Phil Show 9/23/10

started working with Dr.Phil's nurtitionist and he discovered the gluten/dairy intolerance

Labs drawn on 10/16/10 waiting on results

10 pounds and 15 inches off so far!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I went gluten-free October of 2010. I hot pregnant but remained gluten-free. I decided to consume gluten the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy so I could have a celiac panel ran. I only made it 3 weeks into the 3 months. I felt so awful and my gi symptoms were so bad I went back gluten-free.

I was talking to my sons gi today, and she said some dr.'s might use the failure of the gluten challenge as a positive for a diagnosis. Anyone know about this?

As far as I know just from this site it seems not. I know that they deffo don't do it here in Australia - they are looking to change the diagnostic formula that they use here - but that would still require a very high positive blood test - which I assume you don't have either?

I feel your pain - I desperately want a diag as well. But last time I ate a meal of gluteny goodness I ended up in Emergency. It gives me transient intussusception- I have had it 5 times now :blink:

HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

It sounds like your son's GI should also be your GI. My GI doctor also considers this a valid form of diagnosis. He has everyone who has celiac symptoms and negative tests do the diet for a time and then challenge as part of the diagnosis process as he recognizes the high failure rate of blood tests and biopsies.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Gastro doc who wanted me back on glutens for 2 months to retest told me that if I went back into their office with symptoms that they would want to repeat the process all over again, I made it to day 12. Went to new doc, he then told me that when I got too sick to do the testing my gastro should have called it then. Hope that helps you.

Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.