Rate this topic

Hi community,

I am curious about what are the real genes implicated in Celiac ??

DQ-2 and DQ-8 ??

Because, Enterolab has another mind thinking that there are more genes, if they are correct, 90% of the poupulation have the genes.

Thank

I know it sounds strange but what genes are considered celiac associated genes can vary from country to country. Many people have the associated genes but don't develop celiac and just having the genes is not diagnostic. We have much, much more to learn about the genetics involved with celiac and gluten intolerance.

The DQ2 and DQ8 genes are said to respnosible for only about 40% of the risk for celiac, so other genes like myo9b and others carry more risk. The greatest risk is having a relative with celiac.

I have DQ5 and DH, and one does not need the celiac genes for DH

Where do you get testing for the other genes if u.S. Panels concentrate on 2, 8?

i read on other forums that some phoned the labs and they actually had tested for the other genes, but not reported them to the doctor (I guess to not to confuse the doctors, too much information) and they got all the results, both alpha and beta chains.

So I suggest you try to find out if they tested alpha and beta chains.

They started doing that the last two-three years or so.

i read on other forums that some phoned the labs and they actually had tested for the other genes, but not reported them to the doctor (I guess to not to confuse the doctors, too much information) and they got all the results, both alpha and beta chains.

So I suggest you try to find out if they tested alpha and

beta chains.

They started doing that the last two-three years or so.

Mine tested alpha and beta, but the whole thing is confusing.

Mine tested alpha and beta, but the whole thing is confusing.

Nora is very good at untangling all these confusing things. :D Try posting them and see what she says.

• Upvote 1

Where do you get testing for the other genes if u.S. Panels concentrate on 2, 8?

I had mine tested with Enterolab after my DD had doctors tell her that her biopsy and blood test were both a false positive because she didn't have DQ2 or DQ8.

I had mine tested with Enterolab after my DD had doctors tell her that her biopsy and blood test were both a false positive because she didn't have DQ2 or DQ8.

Well, I have a kit and need to send it in. Perhaps that will shed light further.

Now we found articles that say the japanese celiacs have DQ9, simply because DQ9 is the main gene over there by number.

Now DQ 9 differs from DQ8 by one amino acid only , and it is capable of binding gliadin molecules in a 3D model.

(0303 is DQ9)

Now 6% of celiacs have half genes, and 2% have other genes, so why doctors can say for sure that a symptomatic patient cannot be celiac with a DQ 9 gene is beyond me. And the japanese celiacs are DQ9.

Thanks for the answers. But, I still don't know what are implicated genes ??

It looks like nobody knows the true. Enterolab says one thing, others say another, and so on !!

Is there an absolute list of genes necessary to develop Celiac ??

Or the genes theory is something no true ??

Thanks.

It looks like nobody knows the true. Enterolab says one thing, others say another, and so on !!

Thanks.

There are two main genes recognized in the western world -dq2 and dq8. There are another 13 implicated. I read a synopsis the other day that one is more specific to "activated" celiac than dq2, 8. There's constant research - and just because more have been identified doesn't necessarily mean more people carry the genes, it can also be more SPECIFIC identification.

Thanks.

I would not regard the current genetic information available as anywhere near definitive.

• Upvote 1

Here is something that says 9 out of 37 celiac children did not have DQ2 or DQ8

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21434588

still it does not say what genes they had

I guess most had half genes and one or two had other genes, based on other articles of the same kind

Kimball Genetics division of Labcorp is who we used. They send just the summary to your dr, but if you call the genetic councilor they will give the full results.