This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Do

Bet

Bet Newbie

Since stopping bran andall wheat products, my psoriasis has reddened more. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bet Newbie

Forgot to add that I not celiac. Health forums suggest that a gluten free diet helps but I have not seen this. Perhaps someone inthe group had psoriasis?

Juliebove Rising Star

I am not celiac either nor do I have wheat issues. It is my daughter who does. But I have psoriasis. I find that taking turmeric helps.

mushroom Proficient

I am approximately three years post psoriasis diagnosis and (coincidentally) three years plus post gluten free. In those three years I have been convinced that gluten had no effect on my psoriasis. I have been self-injecting Humira to control my psoriasis and RA. Because of skin infections I have not been able to take the Humira injections for the last three months (Humira depresses the immune system which I need to fight infections) and this time when off Humira I have not had a flare of my arthritis or the psoriasis (although it has been threatening) has not broken through again). I am still hopeful that the diet will eventually suppress the symptoms of both. Time will tell. Someone mentioned on the board that almonds can cause psoriasis to flare, so I have changed my nut intake and will see if it makes a difference, because my scalp is bothering me again.

bartfull Rising Star

I went gluten free BECAUSE of my psoriasis. It just happened that when I went gluten free I also went corn free without thinking about it. My psoriasis healed. Then I made some gluten free cornbread. The psoriasis came right back.

I was eating Blue Diamond raw almonds as a snack for a while, then I ran out. A few weeks later I bought them again, and the psoriasis flared again.

So here I am, wondering if I actually AM gluten intolerant, or if it was the corn and nuts all along. But I am 100% convinced that food causes psoriasis. What I have done now is to limit my diet to just a few things I know don't bother me. And I have become even more strict. I won't eat ANYTHING I didn't cook myself, and I won't eat out of any CONTAINER that isn't glass or ceramic, and that I washed myself.

I will NEVER, NEVER eat or even touch my face without washing my hands first. When I visit friends, I never allow their dog or cat anywhere near my face, and of course, I wash my hands after touching them. Been shopping? Whoever touched that door handle or the shopping cart may have just touched bread, (or they may have a cold), so once again, time to wash the hands.

And I know how bad frequent hand washing is - my psoriasis is (was) on my hands, and it HURT to wash them. But do it anyway.

And keep in mind that the gluten symptoms may have been masking other intolerances. I'm betting that I will find more problem foods as time goes on. But it's all worth it in the long run. Food isn't nearly as important as feeling good.

lovegrov Collaborator

My psoriasis started AFTER I went gluten-free.

richard

Bet Newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I got the latest saying that psoriasis started after beginning a gluten free diet.

I also has immune problems - discoid lupus, arthritis so having P is no surprise. I will stick with

it for a few months and see.

At the health store the lady raved about Sea Buck thorn oil as being great for P. Anyone heard of it?

I am amazed at the restrictions caused further by a low oxalate diet I need to follow. I bought sprouted bread NY Ezekial which is quite good. Thanks for the support.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks for all the replies. I got the latest saying that psoriasis started after beginning a gluten free diet.

I also has immune problems - discoid lupus, arthritis so having P is no surprise. I will stick with

it for a few months and see.

At the health store the lady raved about Sea Buck thorn oil as being great for P. Anyone heard of it?

I am amazed at the restrictions caused further by a low oxalate diet I need to follow. I bought sprouted bread NY Ezekial which is quite good. Thanks for the support.

If your going gluten free I don't think you can use that bread. The ingredients I bolded are not safe for us.

INGREDIENTS: Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt.

The company does make some gluten free items but make sure they say gluten free on them. There have also been folks who have had cross contamination issues with the brand. You might want to something like Udi's, Kinnickinnick or another gluten free one.

Reba32 Rookie

I've had psoriasis all my life, (I'm 44) and I've been gluten free for nearly 2 years now (since Dec. '09). It hasn't stopped the psoriasis at all. But I'm also in the process of testing for additional auto-immune diseases, (psoriasis *is* auto-immune btw!) which could be flaring and aggravating the psoriasis further.

Stress can cause psoriasis to flare, which is annoying, because it's a never ending circle. We get stress, it flares, then we stress about the flare...

Archived