This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Endoscopy Experiences?

Deniseannette

Deniseannette Newbie

Hey Everyone,

So, I'm having an endoscopy done this Thursday. I'm very nervous! I was so nervous that I actually rescheduled my last one! What a whimp, I know! I wanted to know your experiences with it? Did they knock you out completely? Would i be able to go to work the next day? What are the chances of complications? I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't do the blood panel first but, I guess i got to just go with it?

Wish me luck! Hopefully, I don't back out this time...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Hey Everyone,

So, I'm having an endoscopy done this Thursday. I'm very nervous! I was so nervous that I actually rescheduled my last one! What a whimp, I know! I wanted to know your experiences with it? Did they knock you out completely? Would i be able to go to work the next day? What are the chances of complications? I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't do the blood panel first but, I guess i got to just go with it?

Wish me luck! Hopefully, I don't back out this time...

First of all, have you been on gluten for a few months already? You must be on gluten for accurate results. Secondly, definitely request that many biopsies be taken. A very low percentage of biopsies are done correctly because too few samples are taken. The most recent number I have heard is at least 8-11 biopsies. Keep in mind there is still a chance of false negatives.

My experience was 100% fine. I was nervous for absolutely nothing. You are not technically knocked out but given a memory-erasing drug so you have no recollection of it at all. (It was as though I was knocked out. I remember talking to the surgeon about food and then I remember waking up in recovery with my husband holding my hand.) Hopefully I wasn't flirting with the doctor during the procedure! Kidding. A couple of hours later I was eating with no ill effects. The next few days my throat was slightly sore and my stomach was sort of gurgly but not a big deal at all. Don't back out (unless you haven't been consuming gluten) because it really is simple. I had my colonoscopy done at the same time to rule out anything else. The colonoscopy prep is more challenging than the endoscopy prep as you cannot eat for 48 hours, drink tons of liquid and then not drink for ages. Still, that wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Easier than going to the dentist!

You would certainly be able to return to work the next day. All the best with this!

carecare Enthusiast

yep...easy procedure. I just had mine this morning...and had the colonoscopy at the same time. I have no ill effects whatso ever from the procedure. They said I might have a little sore throat for a day or two but I don't even have that. It's like I had nothing done. I did come home and took a 4 hour nap but now I'm totally feeling fine.

love2travel Mentor

yep...easy procedure. I just had mine this morning...and had the colonoscopy at the same time. I have no ill effects whatso ever from the procedure. They said I might have a little sore throat for a day or two but I don't even have that. It's like I had nothing done. I did come home and took a 4 hour nap but now I'm totally feeling fine.

So glad it went very well for you, too. Not that it's surprising! :)

Booghead Contributor

It was easy. I am 17 and had mine done. I pass out any time somenoe pokes me with a needle, so that was part of it :P I had some pain the day after but that was from the colonoscopy they day before the endoscopy. Colonoscopys are much worse trust me!

I HATE NEEDLES. If they have me lie down I won't pass out. B)

psawyer Proficient

I have had the combined endoscopy/colonoscopy twice, and colonoscopy another time. The procedure itself is easy and painless. The purge to prepare for the colonoscopy is much worse than the procedure itself. If you are just doing the endoscopy, the colon purge is not needed--you just fast about twelve hours.

samie Contributor

I had a endoscope last january when I was in the hospital because of issues related to celiac and it was easy. They gave me an iv of medicene for anastesia. I was tired after it but took a nap and was fine. My two daughters had it done a few months ago and they were fine just tired so they took a nap after that they were fine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kitagrl28 Newbie

I had bloodwork done last week...I have a gallbladder u/s this week. On Jan 4 I have an endoscopy as well as a...hmm can't remember the name...not a full colonoscopy but just the very end (I have to do enemas, not a complete purge) because I've had some intermittent bleeding (probably from a fissure due to constipation).

I think if my bloodwork comes back okay its most likely I just have an ulcer or some inflammation for some reason...we shall see. My doctor is the one, though, who thought he should check me for celiac...it never crossed my mind.

BellaBella Rookie

Yep...piece of cake. I had the dual procedure last week and it was super-simple. (Minus the colonoscopy prep!)

They gave me something in the IV, I was out about 12 seconds later and then I woke up in recovery with my husband. I felt great although a tiny bit loopy. Hubby and I went for breakfast and then I went home to nap. I really didn't feel tired but thought I'd take advantage of the doctor's advice to rest...and I woke up about 5 hrs later. No pain, no discomfort, no feeling that anything had been done at all. Was fine the rest of that night and went to work the next day!

Archived