BabsV

Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust Mix

Rate this topic

For the first time I tried Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust mix on Sunday night...woke up feeling bleh on Monday morning and had pain issues throughout the day, didn't sleep well last night and am really tired today. Seems like a glutening but the ONLY thing different or new that I've had in my diet over the last few days is one slice of pizza made from that mix. It was a white pizza with a little olive oil, mozzarella and some herbs/spices (from Penzeys and I've used the blend before so I doubt they are the problem.) The pizza pans are brand new and the pizza was cut with a knife that's been scrubbed/used previously with no problem for me so I doubt cross contamination can come into play. Has anyone else had a problem with this mix or other products from the same company? I'm not opening that bag of Bob's Red Mill Quinoa since I'm feeling a little leery at this point. Thanks!

What's IN the mix?

Check the label. Could be an ingredient is not agreeing with you. (do not assume CC okay?)

I use BRM products all the time without a problem, BUT I recently discovered that I feel yucky, get a stomach ache and have allergic responses when we use any BEAN flours in our baking. Hubs tried Garganzo bean flour in our bread recently and I felt awful from it.

I know that BRM mixes often contain Garbanzo and Garfava or Fava bean flours. I put 2 and 2 together and just took those out of my lineup to see if that's the culprit. (but I am pretty sure it is as I do not tolerate soybean or lupin bean flour either). I love the BiAglut corn pasta--but the lupin bean flour made my throat and mouth burn. I tried their crackers--same result. (Corn and I are fine so I know that's not it. :) )

On Sunday, I made cookies for hubs with BRM all-purpose mix--and I tasted a few. It did the exact same thing. Stomache ache, felt yucky and stuffy and burny in the mouth! I read the label---bean flours! That was enough to convince me.

Just suggesting here! :)

For the first time I tried Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust mix on Sunday night...woke up feeling bleh on Monday morning and had pain issues throughout the day, didn't sleep well last night and am really tired today. Seems like a glutening but the ONLY thing different or new that I've had in my diet over the last few days is one slice of pizza made from that mix. It was a white pizza with a little olive oil, mozzarella and some herbs/spices (from Penzeys and I've used the blend before so I doubt they are the problem.) The pizza pans are brand new and the pizza was cut with a knife that's been scrubbed/used previously with no problem for me so I doubt cross contamination can come into play. Has anyone else had a problem with this mix or other products from the same company? I'm not opening that bag of Bob's Red Mill Quinoa since I'm feeling a little leery at this point. Thanks!

Could be the xanthan gum. I wasn't able to tolerate it either for along time until more healing could take place.

I can't use the BRM pizza dough mix, because it contains cane sugar. I have a diagnosed allergy to cane sugar which causes me palpitations and nausea. So you could be allergic to almost anything. OOOPS. Just noticed you used real mozzarella cheese on your pizza. What about dairy or casein? That's a common delayed reaction (IgG or IgA mediated) allergy, more common than cane sugar. I can use any of the Bob's Red Mill products which are clearly labeled gluten free (and don't contain any of other 6 allergens) without reaction.

I've used the pizza mix just last week without any problems, and I run towards

the very sensitive side of things. I second the xanthum gum or the mozzarella being the likely culprits, rather than cc in the BRM. I've NEVER had a problem with any of their products.

Some of us react to gluten free oats. I can't tolerate any BRM products because they process the oats in the same plant.

Some of us react to gluten free oats. I can't tolerate any BRM products because they process the oats in the same plant.

I'm the same way as raven. Can't tolerate because of the oats.

Thanks for all the replies...Ingredients are listed as: whole grain brown rice flour, potato starch, whole grain millet, whole grain sorghum flour, tapioca flour, potato flour, evaporated cane juice, xanthan gum, active dry yeast, sea salt, guar gum.

I'm 5 months into the gluten-free diet and I've only just started to introduce some replacement foods. God only knows what might have set me off. I'll have to compare this list of ingredients with a couple products I've tried successfully.

I don't think it was the cheese because in the last 3 weeks I've reintroduced dairy (cheddar and mozzarella) into my diet and haven't had a problem with them other than a little gut gurgle the first time as if my body was saying, "Hey, what is this?!?!" I intentionally didn't put a lot of cheese onto the pizza and only had one piece from one of the pizzas (I made two from the mix.)

I haven't had oats since before my diagnosis in August 2011 -- I have always detested oatmeal. *shudder* But I used to make my own granola and never seemed to have a problem.

I now understand what the doctor meant when she said the first 6-12 months is a steep learning curve in terms of the diet!

I now understand what the doctor meant when she said the first 6-12 months is a steep learning curve in terms of the diet!

oh, it sure is! :rolleyes: It's a roller coaster ride. <_<

Millet is tough to digest. For me anyway.

Could be just a glitch. Try it again later?

oh, it sure is! :rolleyes: It's a roller coaster ride. <_<

Millet is tough to digest. For me anyway.

Could be just a glitch. Try it again later?

I'll probably try it again in a few months just to see if I have the same reaction...