Lisa

Wikipedia Black-Out

Rate this topic

Pssshhh!!! Umm...OK. Think anyone will notice? Schools do not allow kids to use it, anyway.

Pssshhh!!! Just sayin' and I hear that Google and others might boycott as well. It's a bit of a news event when things go dark. It's rather news worthy when the internet protests for the first time.

JUST SAYIN' :rolleyes:

Uhm... spppp..... YES I think some people will notice. At least the hundreds of editors who constantly go thru every_fricking_article and leave comments on the "Talk" editing pages on why they thought they had to revise a perfectly good article so it contains less information. <_<

Then there is my favorite "please cite your reference sources" never occurs to Ms/Mr Editing Expert that the info may be original source.

I swear some of them may be needing a therapy session over this. They won't have anything to do Wednesday pm. :blink:

LMAO !! Just checked the local news paper and the lead article is "Wikipedia Editors question site's planned Blackout." I knew it !

Pssshhh!!! Just sayin' and I hear that Google and others might boycott as well. It's a bit of a news event when things go dark. It's rather news worthy when the internet protests for the first time.

JUST SAYIN' :rolleyes:

Google too? Well that's a whole different matter! A bunch of teachers may have to change their lesson plans if all the search engines join in.

:D Have fun with the topic.

Pssshhh!!! Umm...OK. Think anyone will notice? Schools do not allow kids to use it, anyway.

I have mixed feelings about that. While I have some empathy for those who would disallow it as a source, those people are being rather shallow in their thinking. Would those teachers allow a reference to Encyclopedia Britannica? Each is a compendium of material gathered from other sources. Most Wikipedia articles are supported by links to other sources. It is a quick way to find them. Google is another way to find information about a topic. Dead tree printed material is the medium of the twentieth century. That was yesterday. OK, end of rant.

Google has a black rectangle over the Google logo. You know, one of those ones the TV sometimes put over naked pics of some celebrity to cover the whole point of the story. :D

I think we're missing the bigger picture here. These sites/organizations are protesting to maintain the freedom of the internet.

Think about this . . . on this forum, we often talk about self-diagnosed medical conditions. What happens if some bureaucrat decides it's unsafe? That we are disseminating unapproved information that is unsanctioned by the modern medical establishment? Censorship is a slippery slope.

Thanks for posting about this!