mommyto2kids

Is Anything At A Chinese Restaurant Safe?

Rate this topic

Is anything at a Chinese restaurant safe to order? I'm sad. My family just went out and I stayed home. Does anyone know if any of their sauces are gluten free? Please let me know if you know of anything that is often found on a menue and safe for us.

I understand some restaurants like pf Changs do use gluten free soy sauce, but I do not eat at Chinese restaurants because I am soy intolerant (as well as beans and a lot of other stuff) :D

Plain white rice? I have occasionally ordered steamed vegetables and shrimp at Chinese restaurants when I'm traveling. To be honest, even the steamers make me nervous in places that serve steamed buns. I don't know how well they can clean the bamboo steamers, but I didn't get sick last time I was traveling and ordered plain steamed veggies.

Nothing from the woks is safe becasue they are seasoned so the soy sauce is never really cleaned off. Even if there were a gluten-free sauce it would be cross-contaminated because the sauces are prepared in the wok. You can get packets of San J tamari sauce to bring with you and put on your food.

My town has P.F. Chang's, which has a gluten-free menu. Their food is quite good and cooked in dedicated gluten-free woks.

Bad thing about Chinese if they use so much soy sauce. Try Thai instead. Some dishes are made with soy sauce but not all. We go to a Thai place that has all the ingredients listed on their menu. The dishes with the coconut milk do not have soy sauce. This is how I get my Asian fix when I go out. You can buy (order) gluten-free soy sauce and it tastes real good. It can get it in the bottle or individual serving sizes for taking with you.

Some white sauce dishes, although I can't say about CC.

richard

This is a tough one for me too. Hubby wanted to order Chinese last night and I told him I couldn't because I wouldn't risk eating anything. So I ended up eating leftover soup instead of beef with broccoli and eggrolls. :(

I did eat at one local restaurant that had steamed veggies and meat and it was okay. I didn't get glutened. I had brought my own gluten-free soy sauce. But I felt like it was a meal I could have easily fixed at home and for a lot less money. I've also eaten at P.F. Changs and that was great. If you have one close to you, I'd recommend trying it.

Fried rice is super easy to make yourself at home with gluten free soy sauce. I was making it myself even before I got glutened.

Bad thing about Chinese if they use so much soy sauce. Try Thai instead. Some dishes are made with soy sauce but not all. We go to a Thai place that has all the ingredients listed on their menu. The dishes with the coconut milk do not have soy sauce. This is how I get my Asian fix when I go out. You can buy (order) gluten-free soy sauce and it tastes real good. It can get it in the bottle or individual serving sizes for taking with you.

I've made my own Thai twice after being diagnosed, found a gluten-free soy and now use Tamari. We found a new Thai place (my old one wasn't to receptive to gluten-free and didn't understand what I was asking), the new place knows what I can have and can't have, on the receipt my item is in English and Thai so the cook doesn't mess it up. They use NO Soy in my food and noodles are all rice. I have been there twice and last night we had takeout, I called and said it's Cathey gluten free, she asked me after every item is this for you.

Try and find a good Thai place and go in one day and speak to the person behind the counter, explain gluten-free if you feel comfortable go back and eat and make friends with them. Trust me they will take care of you.