This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pregnant And Eating Gluten

jemms

jemms Apprentice

I am either gluten intolerant or have Celiac's. basically the doctor could not give me a definitive answer. regardless, gluten makes me lethargic at times...that being said I am almost 5 months pregnant and have found myself eating gluten a lot more than I normally would. I feel that it isnt effecting me as it did before...so stupidly, I grab gluten stuff when I am out and about.

I am now terrified that my baby is going to have birth defects. I think I was under the impression that the placenta would protect him/her, but now am worried that I am not absorbing all the prenatal vitamins since I am eating gluten. I am freaking out and could really use a non-judgmental response. I have two other children who are healthy and thriving so I am just confused too. Thanks very much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

this is a tuff one.. only because once u go 100% gluten free- your body seems to be more hypervigilant and then your reactions from eating it *COULD* become more extreme. ??? but at the same time- if you are gluten intolerant or have Celiac-> then, continuing to eat gluten could harm your baby. Not because it will go thru the placenta and hurt the baby, but because it will harm u- and make u unable to absorb vitamins & nutrients... at least that's how i understand it... if eating gluten, when you are intolerant, can affect your fertility.. then it's not very safe to eat while pregnant... that being said- im sure many have had healthy pregnancies while never ever knowing they had gluten intolerance and never abstaining... there's a huge spectrum.

im a little out of the loop, so i hope someone else will reply here... good luck!

cassP Contributor

u should at least cut most of it out... it's not healthy for u... hope u get more helpful replies

Skylark Collaborator

If there is a chance you are celiac, you need to get off gluten 100%. It will ease your mind, and you can be sure you are absorbing vitamins.

MitziG Enthusiast

Birth defects? Not likely. Screamy, colicky baby with ear infections, reflux and funky rashes? Quite likely. Don't worry that you have done permanent damage, the majority of us were un dx celiacs eating gluten thru pregnancy. But do yourself and your little one a big favor and go gluten free from here on out. You will both feel better!

rosetapper23 Explorer

My mother had undiagnosed celiac when she was pregnant with me....and I was born with Ricketts due to my mother's malabsorption of Vitamin D and calcium. Would it have been better for her to have eaten gluten free? Most definitely!

UKGail Rookie

"Birth defects? Not likely. Screamy, colicky baby with ear infections, reflux and funky rashes? Quite likely. Don't worry that you have done permanent damage, the majority of us were un dx celiacs eating gluten thru pregnancy. But do yourself and your little one a big favor and go gluten free from here on out. You will both feel better! "

Yup, that ties in with my experience. Add in a severe lactose intolerance with one child too, and I couldn't manage to breast feed her (she was so tiny and I was a hopeless, exhausted first time Mum). Both my children were unusually small babies (just six pounds nothing each time), even though I am average size at 5'4", weighing 125 lbs before pregnancy and gaining about 25lbs during pregnancy. Second baby had sleep problems and recurrent ear infections.

Be extra vigilant for iron deficiency during pregnancy, even after you go gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Birth defects? Not likely. Screamy, colicky baby with ear infections, reflux and funky rashes? Quite likely. Don't worry that you have done permanent damage, the majority of us were un dx celiacs eating gluten thru pregnancy. But do yourself and your little one a big favor and go gluten free from here on out. You will both feel better!

This was my youngest son except he didn't have the ear infections but recurrent rhinosinusitus with the rest of it. By eliminiting the things in my diet I knew bothered him(rice, oats, dairy, tree nuts) is what eventually lead me to find out I had celiac(I was gluten light without even knowing it). Weird how things come full circle, because my son was diagnosed with celiac when he was almost six. I am convinced now that all his trouble was gluten related even as a baby.

I had both my boys before I knew I had celiac. They were born healthy at 8 lb 4 oz and 8 lbs 8 oz. You just need to try and eliminate it the best you can. Your health is dependent on you taking in the vitamins and minerals. You want to feel your best after he/she is born so you have the energy to take care of them and your other children.

Archived