BabsV

Cup4Cup gluten-free Flour

Rate this topic

One of my friends sent me a bag of William Sonoma's Cup4Cup gluten-free Flour (yes, I have AWESOME friends who have decided they are going to help me with the gluten-free lifestyle as much as possible...I know how lucky I am!)

Over the last couple of months I've used it to make 2 cakes, banana bread and zucchini muffins and they've all turned out just fine. The muffins actually puffed up and look more 'normal' instead of squat and dense like other gluten-free flours I've tried. My family has taste-tested all the recipes and can't really tell the difference between the gluten-free version and the full gluten version of the past. One of the cakes was my grandmother's easy chocolate cake recipe and while it tasted the same the cocoa powder didn't seem to blend as well with the flour mix and there were little white specks throughout the cake. Still tasted good (so I was told, I didn't have any) and was the right texture, it just looked really odd.

To let you know where I am coming from I have to admit I have never been a fan of baking...I love to cook but baking, eh, not so much. Plus I am currently living in Poland and finding the ingredients to create my own flour mix is a laughable idea. Seriously. I haven't been eating much gluten-free replacement food (giving my body time to heal and the horrible quality of the local stuff...OMG! tried a roll that has probably mentally scared me for life *shudder*) but I was desperate for something a little different for breakfast and had to make a cake for a potluck.

So I've seen good results from this flour. It is $19.95 for 3 lbs. I have no idea how that compares to other brands but if you aren't a big baker and need it occasionally, it seems to work with 1 to 1 substitution with my old recipes.

Glad you are finding something that works well for you. Next time try putting the flour blend and coco powder together through a fine mesh sieve or four sifter. It may help blend it bettter and elimiate those specks.

Glad you are finding something that works well for you. Next time try putting the flour blend and coco powder together through a fine mesh sieve or four sifter. It may help blend it bettter and elimiate those specks.

Ohhhh, thanks for that tip. Will have to try it.

I have written about this flour before. I promise I do not work for the company, but I love the stuff! I have made pie crist, cheese straws, biscuits, so many other things that I had given up on. The flour reeally does work "cup-4-cup". To me, it is a bargain at any price!