1 1
liya

Gluten Free Thyroid Medicatiion

Rate this topic

Greetings to all.

I seem to react to Synthroid and did not realize that it contains Gluten. On Synthroid I am very constipated and have a lot of pressure behind my eyes due to fluid retention.

Are there any Gluten Free T4 medications that I can use instead of Synthroid. Armour Thyroid also did not work for me.

Thanks and best wishes to all

Synthroid does not have gluten. That's a myth that keeps getting repeated but it's simply not true. I called Abbot and asked last fall when I tried it for a while. Since it's a sugar base they are not testing the raw ingredients and won't make a gluten-free claim, but it's as safe as a box of confectioners sugar from the store. The tablet does have some allergens though. Some people react to the lactose in the tablet if they are lactose intolerant or sensitive to dairy. Others react to the providone or dye. It also has a tiny amount of corn starch if you're very sensitive to corn.

Fluid retention and constipation can be hypo- symptoms, and straight T4 is not so good for reversing hypothyroidism.

Levoxyl is tested for gluten and is guaranteed to be <20ppm. Tirosint is a new liquid T4 that is free of allergens, gluten, and dyes. Mylan generic is also safe. Avoid Paddock.

Thanks soooooo much for your response.

Liya

As Skylark said, my son is on Mylan. I spoke with them within the past month.

I have mentioned this in another medication thread that if it seems to be an issue you may have better luck getting a full, unopened bottle from the pharmacy. The pill trays they count meds on aren't cleaned between counts so there is a risk of CC with other meds that do contain gluten in them. To be sure of no x-con we get a full, unopened bottle of Mylan for my son.

I agree with Skylark,but I also want to comment on levothyroxine(generic) many people tolerate this..For me after only 2 pills I got very sick ended up with angio lymphatic edema for 8 1/2 months....severe....I was first on synthyroid for years but always felt dead....

After much fighting with the endo I now take nature-roid, ( RLC Labs)whole glandular..I love this ..I feel more alive than ever, no brain fog, depression ...100% better than when I was on synthyroid T-4 only...

I had RAI in 2007 was hyper had RAI then went hypo,Grave's Disease& Dysthyroid orbitpathy....

I agree with Skylark,but I also want to comment on levothyroxine(generic) many people tolerate this..For me after only 2 pills I got very sick ended up with angio lymphatic edema for 8 1/2 months....severe....I was first on synthyroid for years but always felt dead....

After much fighting with the endo I now take nature-roid, ( RLC Labs)whole glandular..I love this ..I feel more alive than ever, no brain fog, depression ...100% better than when I was on synthyroid T-4 only...

I had RAI in 2007 was hyper had RAI then went hypo,Grave's Disease& Dysthyroid orbitpathy....

I'll second NatureThroid. Great stuff. Don't ask why I'm not on it right now... long story.

PricklyPear

I can only guess why you are not on NT!!! Stupid doctor????? My story is VEY long too!

PricklyPear

I can only guess why you are not on NT!!! Stupid doctor????? My story is VEY long too!

Actually, that's not it. More to do with the iodine question and changing too many things at once. I don't think I'm terribly sensitive to the type of med, luckily. They are all equally bad or good (Armour was good, then the reformulation was bad). Plus, that whole natural thyroid shortage thing made me have a different med every two months... so, we are trying to keep it stable while we adjust everything else. Too many variables.

Thanks soooooo much for your response.

Liya

Good luck finding one that works. I'm on NP Thyroid by Acella, yet another different natural thyroid. I feel much better with some T3.

I'll third on Nature-throid. I like it, it has always done well for me.

The reformulation nightmare put me off Armour forever. It doesn't work as well as it used to, and they played horrible politics with patients. Inexcusable.

My pharmacy keeps switching me back to Armour because it's the only "natural" they stock; I keep telling them "put it away and order my Nature-throid...I'll never use Armour again".

I was lucky, during the shortage I was able to get Thyroid made by Erfa, through a Canadian pharmacy. I really liked it, it worked incredibly well for me but like naturethroid, it only comes in 60 mg tabs and I use 90. At least the naturethroid tabs are scored now.

Like Beachbirdie, I started on Armour until they reformulated it and then switched to Nature-throid. I also take and additional T3 which I get from a compounding pharmacy. I have been taking Nature-throid for a while now and seem to do well on it.

Tirosint is awesome! And it comes in blister packs so no room for x-c and it will remind you that you forgot to take it on Thursday.