This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Egd And Colonoscopy Over

Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

EGD-

Esophagus - no abnormalities seen

Stomach - no abnormalities seen

Duodenum - no abnormalities seen

The GI did take biopsies to rule out celiac and inflammatory bowel disease.

Colonoscopy

No abnormalities such as ileitis, polyps, tumors, diverticula, or colitis were seen.

It will be a week before I get the actual results. Of course, he told me Blacks don't get celiac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

EGD-

Esophagus - no abnormalities seen

Stomach - no abnormalities seen

Duodenum - no abnormalities seen

The GI did take biopsies to rule out celiac and inflammatory bowel disease.

Colonoscopy

No abnormalities such as ileitis, polyps, tumors, diverticula, or colitis were seen.

It will be a week before I get the actual results. Of course, he told me Blacks don't get celiac disease.

I hope you were able to punch him in the stomach and blame it on the anesthesia.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I didn't, but he also said it was more prevalent in Scandinavian people, lol. He was nice though, aside from that.

You have a skin rash, right?

Have you been able to get it biopsied?

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I do have a few rashes, but everyone keeps telling me it is just eczema. I haven't had it biopsied.

Can the GI really see any damage without doing a biopsy? We may have just caught it early before it got really bad? I have only been getting sick with bad stomach issues since February. The anemia and DH rash started last year. I have eczema looking rashes and a little DH pops up here and there.

Now people think I imagined everything or they say they are at a loss as to what could be wrong.

If damage is really bad it can be seen without a microscope; however, just because he didn't see it doesn't mean it isn't there and won't be found with the microscope. Technically, they are looking for microscopic damage.

Of you are a DH celiac your best bet is a skin biopsy. Typically intestinal damage is less in DH patients - the damage is on your skin.

Find a good derm who has biopsied DH, get a biopsy. Stay on gluten till you're done testing.

IrishHeart Veteran

Of course, he told me Blacks don't get celiac disease.

:o

O M G

Where is THAT stated in the "diagnostic criteria"??

What rock did this tool crawl out from under?? What an ass hat.

Wish I had been there when he said that....... :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

There are no valid statistics for the number of blacks with DIAGNOSED Celiac because this kind of archaic thinking leaves many people undiagnosed!

Read these, honey and maybe send them to this GI:

Open Original Shared Link

Not only was his comment incorrect (the majority of celiacs are of European descent, yes) but the DQ2 genes are spread world wide, including Africa. He has not done much reading lately.

Besides, how the hell does he know your heritage?

Man, that just irritates the crap out of me.

Doctors make assumptions and people stay sick.

EVEN if your biopsy is negative, I have read almost all your posts and you may be NCGI (non celiac gluten intolerant) and you do not need anyone's permission to be gluten free.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

:o

O M G

Where is THAT stated in the "diagnostic criteria"??

What rock did this tool crawl out from under?? What an ass hat.

Wish I had been there when he said that....... :angry:

I wish he had just said he would do the biopsy instead of throwing that useless fact in.

I see that it says: Forceps biopsy times 4 from third part of duodenum. I assume that means he took 4 biopsies? So my B12 was fine, my Vitamin D extremely low, any my thyroid is on the low end of normal. Clean colon, stomach, and esophagus. What is causing the burn after I eat??? Crazy.

If I hear another call Dr. House joke, I am going to scream.

I wish he had just said he would do the biopsy instead of throwing that useless fact in.

I see that it says: Forceps biopsy times 4 from third part of duodenum. I assume that means he took 4 biopsies? So my B12 was fine, my Vitamin D extremely low, any my thyroid is on the low end of normal. Clean colon, stomach, and esophagus. What is causing the burn after I eat??? Crazy.

Did they run an iron panel on you? Not just ferritin but iron stores, full panel? If not, request it. Along with ALL b's and calcium and k.

IrishHeart Veteran

Plus he only took 4 biopsies from one section....how about looking around a little , doc??!! :rolleyes: My doc says you have to do it from various sites.

I heard the HOUSE thing for 3 years myself.

We don't need HOUSE. This isn't a mystery to us.

Gluten causes all these problems.

Do what Prickly suggests--get the DH biopsy then.

DH IS celiac.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

How frustrating! :o Maybe the biopsy will tell more?

Have you had your gallbladder tested for the burning sensation? Not just ultrasound, but HIDA scan too?

Dr.s that don't stay up on the latest information say that celiac disease is a failure to thrive/diarhea in babies with European descent. That leaves most of us off the Ceiac "list"!

I was told I was "too old"..at least you're just "too black"? I don't know why it made me mad when they said I was old? Maybe it was the gluten? LOL

IrishHeart Veteran

or.....how about being told you're too fat? :blink:

then again, when I lost 90+ lbs. in a short time, it did not matter either.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

Have you had your gallbladder tested for the burning sensation? Not just ultrasound, but HIDA scan too?

Dr.s that don't stay up on the latest information say that celiac disease is a failure to thrive/diarhea in babies with European descent. That leaves most of us off the Ceiac "list"!

I was told I was "too old"..at least you're just "too black"? I don't know why it made me mad when they said I was old? Maybe it was the gluten? LOL

Too old? In reading some of the posts here, most people are older! 25 and beyond. Disease has no age or race requirements. Sad that we live in a world where people still think that way.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

Just two ultrasounds. What is the HIDA scan?

IrishHeart Veteran

Too old? In reading some of the posts here, most people are older! 25 and beyond. Disease has no age or race requirements. Sad that we live in a world where people still think that way.

It's because they are taught in medical school that celiac disease is a disease of malabsorption in children. That's just not the case. So, people go all their lives being diagnosed with various other AI diseases and conditions and being symptom-treated (for things like arthritis, psoriasis, asthma, heart disease, thyroid disease, GERD and "IBS", reproductive problems, etc.) -- instead of them finding the underlying cause, which is often celiac.

This is why when someone younger like you tells us all your symptoms, they are like giant red flags to us. We lived them all and the last thing we want to see is another person fall through the cracks.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Ultrasounds look for stones or sludge blocking the gallbladder or bile ducts. A HIDA scan tests if the gallbladder knows to squeeze when it's supposed to. It's a test for gallbladder function.

I complained of stinging pain and nausea. I thought it was my GB. I got an ultrasound and it was fine. From then on if I complained about those symptoms my Dr. got angry and at one point shouted at me that "there was absolutely nothing wrong with my gallbladder".

Six months after going gluten-free I got a HIDA scan ordered by another Dr. I was told mine wasn't functioning very well..and I should consult a surgeon.

So..I went from "fine" to needing immediate surgery? :o I looked it up and took myself off PPI medication in the hopes it might improve. So far..my symptoms are better gluten-free and PPI free. I'm not having a surgery if I don't need to!

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

It's because they are taught in medical school that celiac disease is a disease of malabsorption in children. That's just not the case. So, people go all their lives being diagnosed with various other AI diseases and conditions and being symptom-treated (for things like arthritis, psoriasis, asthma, heart disease, thyroid disease, GERD and "IBS", reproductive problems, etc.) -- instead of them finding the underlying cause, which is often celiac.

This is why when someone younger like you tells us all your symptoms, they are like giant red flags to us. We lived them all and the last thing we want to see is another person fall through the cracks.

The ironic thing is prior to my scopes today, when they survey you before your procedure, it was documented that I indeed have asthma, GERD, eczema, and low thyroid function.

But since I am Black, it doesn't matter!

My dad at first thought I had an ulcer, gastritis, and now food poisoning. I have had food poisoning and it involved vomiting. I have yet to do that.

IrishHeart Veteran

The ironic thing is prior to my scopes today, when they survey you before your procedure, it was documented that I indeed have asthma, GERD, eczema, and low thyroid function.

But since I am Black, it doesn't matter!

It matters to a celiac-savvy doctor who knows what the symptoms of gluten intolerance are kiddo.

If you do not get any help from this guy, time to move on.

tom Contributor

Ditto!

GFinDC Veteran

A HIDA scan checks for gallbladder function. So nice we learn all these medical terms with this disease.

I was going to suggest possible h.pylori as a pain cause also. Innards gots all kinds of things that can make them hurt. :(

I used to have pain that was probably gastritis (irritated stomach lining). And plenty of stomach gas whenever I ate. It went away after being gluten-free for a while. The gas in the stomach sure made it hurt though.

Archived