luckymommatoo

Blood Test Results -- What Do They Mean?

Rate this topic

So this is completely out of the blue for me. I thought I was lactose intolerant, but the NP said, "let's just test you for gluten."

Here's what came back:

Tiss Transglutamin IgA 62 High -- gluten intolerance

Anti-Gliadin IgA Ab >100 High

IgA 98 Normal

I have a call into the NP, but am trying to figure out what the heck these mean. Does "gluten intolerance" = celiac?

thanks,

-e

Welcome!

The first two tests show an immune system reacting to gluten, as in celiac disease. The third test says your overall immune system is normal. Low on the third test could suggest a false negative on the first two, which is why it has to be done.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't diagnose, but...

Peter, thanks for the quick reply! Sigh. I don't know if I'm ready to go down this rabbit hole...

Still waiting for a call back from the NP. Would a GI referral be normal at this point? I'm not very symptomatic, so it's not affecting my life very much.

Welcome!

The first two tests show an immune system reacting to gluten, as in celiac disease. The third test says your overall immune system is normal. Low on the third test could suggest a false negative on the first two, which is why it has to be done.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't diagnose, but...

So this is completely out of the blue for me. I thought I was lactose intolerant, but the NP said, "let's just test you for gluten."

Here's what came back:

Tiss Transglutamin IgA 62 High -- gluten intolerance

Anti-Gliadin IgA Ab >100 High

IgA 98 Normal

I have a call into the NP, but am trying to figure out what the heck these mean. Does "gluten intolerance" = celiac?

thanks,

-e

Well, celiac is defined as gluten intolerance, but you need a doctor to really give you the word. All I can say is with your labs, you're looking like a contender... :ph34r:

Do you have any other issues?

Autoimmune disorders

Autoimmune disorders occur ten times more commonly in celiac disease than the general population. They include insulin dependent diabetes, thyroid disease, Sjogren's syndrome, Addison's disease, autoimmune liver disease, autoimmune cardiomyopathy, and neurological disorders. When both occur in a patient, the celiac disease is frequently silent, as a result the autoimmune disorder is usually diagnosed first.

http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.org/C_Doctors/C08-AssociatedCond.htm

Ack! Not that I'm aware of. I am tall and thin and have trouble gaining weight (which is what started this whole odyssey). Thyroid has been tested and nothing's ever come up. I am constantly battling yeast. But that's it. I feel like I have normal energy (for a mom with two kids who's about to turn forty! ;-) ).

Do you have any other issues?

Autoimmune disorders

Autoimmune disorders occur ten times more commonly in celiac disease than the general population. They include insulin dependent diabetes, thyroid disease, Sjogren's syndrome, Addison's disease, autoimmune liver disease, autoimmune cardiomyopathy, and neurological disorders. When both occur in a patient, the celiac disease is frequently silent, as a result the autoimmune disorder is usually diagnosed first.

http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.org/C_Doctors/C08-AssociatedCond.htm

This is the FULL panel you should have for testing for celiac. looks like something is missing. Read Lisa's post in this thread:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/92470-help-me-with-these-tesultsplease/page__pid__792784#entry792784

Looks like they ought to do the full panel on you.

This is the FULL panel you should have for testing for celiac.

For sure, the IgG tests would add certainty to the finding. But the reported IgA results are strongly indicative.

• Upvote 1

Um, you may not want to go down the rabbit hole now, but much better to go down on your own then to wait until you fall in it. If you have celiac, you WILL fall. And likely your kids will too. Do NOT blow this off. Spend some time snooping here and you will see what your future holds if you do. Celiac doesn't go away, it just gets bigger and badder. Get the full panel done, asap!

Um, you may not want to go down the rabbit hole now, but much better to go down on your own then to wait until you fall in it. If you have celiac, you WILL fall. And likely your kids will too. Do NOT blow this off. Spend some time snooping here and you will see what your future holds if you do. Celiac doesn't go away, it just gets bigger and badder. Get the full panel done, asap!

If the kids are old enough, you might as well get them done at the same time.....