This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3Yr Old, +Enterolab But -Blood & -Biobsy, Twin Sis Has Celiac

MaZoodleTwins

sa1937 Community Regular

I feel like it is a huge pain in the butt, anytime I call the GI office I end up getting transferred somewhere else. I was asking the lady at the GI office yesterday and she said she didn't know anything about it that I had to talk to the records department. I am having my husband fax the forms today while he is at work and I will call the records dept after he has sent them to make sure they understand what papers I actually want. If they were closer I would just drive there but it is 30min one way and I'd have to drag my twins along and the records dept already told me that they won't print anything on the spot.

I should receive the reports next week sometime so when I get them I will post the results...and if I actually get the right things.

I wonder why people have to make it so difficult. Yes, please do post the results when you get them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaZoodleTwins Newbie

:o :o :o :o

OH!!! Sorry about getting your child's gender wrong. :( :(

Have you seen any change on the diet?

Lol, it's no big deal :)

So far the only change I have noticed on the diet is that my extremely picky, barely ever eat much food at all girls have started eating! Like Zoey(one not dx with Celiac) has started eating meat, this is something that she NEVER NEVER has done no matter how much bribing I've tried to do. The only 'meat' she would ever eat was a McD chicken nugget or anything that was really processed and soft. Never would she eat bacon or lunch meat but on Saturday we had pancakes & bacon and SHE asked for a piece of bacon and then she actually ate the whole piece. Later SHE asked for lunchmeat ham and actually ate several pieces. She is actually eating all or most of her food, both girls are and this is something that just rarely happens. So, I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but I think Zoey eating meat is the most shocking. They are both still constipated and needing Miralax on a daily basis.

nora-n Rookie

I remember from the old days, people got the U of Maryland (where Fasano is) to review the slides and they got the diagnosis with symptoms and slight changes in the biopsy samples

MaZoodleTwins Newbie

I received Zoeys Procedure & Pathology report. After the receptionist told me I HAD to get it from the medical records place, I later talked to a nurse from the GI dept who said it was no problem and mailed me the reports.

It looks like they took 12 biobsy, so I'm guessing that is quite a few. Here is what the paper says.

The Procedure/Operative Report.

The duodenal mucosa in the 2nd & 3rd portions appear normal. 4 biobsies were obtained. In the duodenal bulb, there was a mild nodularity; no obvious notching or blunting of the rings(right after her procedure he told us she had mild blunting, didn't say anything about nodularity-are those the same?) Biobsies were obtained from the bulb as well. The gastric mucosa appeared normal. There was well defined squamocolumnar junction. The entire esophageal mucosa appeared normal.

Biobsies were taken from:

*Duodenum x4

*Duodenal x2

*Gastric antrum X2

*Distal esophagus x2

*Proximal espphagus x2

Pathology Procedure:

Microscopic Examination:

Sections show small bowel mucosa, duodenal mucosa, gastric mucosa, esophogeal mucosa in the normal limits.

Final Diagnosis:

Duodenal biobsy: No diagnostic pathology

duodenal bulb:No diagnostic pathology

antrum biobsy:No diagnostic pathology

esophageal biobsy distal:No diagnostic pathology

esophageal biobsy proximal: No diagnostic pathology

Endoscopically and histologically normal, no evidence of Celiac disease.

Any thoughts on the Procedure or Pathology report. I thought the Pathology report would be more detailed with numbers and such but it doesn't give any details. And what does No diagnostic pathology mean?

We have all been on the gluten free diet for 1 week & 1 day so far and both girls are still constipated but their appetites have increased, especially Zoey. She has gone from the pickiest eater to actually trying and eating things that she has never before. So far neither of them have been complaining of abdominal pain so we'll see how that goes and if their constipation ever goes away.

1974girl Enthusiast

Sorry- I am just now seeing your question...

Yes, my child with mild blunting did show a postive blood test. Technically, it was half and half but enough to warrart the biopsy. She did have a negative blood test 4 years ago at her Thyroid diagnosis (age 7). From what I hear, she probably had celiac first and then developed the thyroid. So who knows if that first test was accurate. I took the results over the phone and never got a copy. I now wonder if they missed something. She doesn't have any GI symtoms. She could eat a loaf of bread and be fine...outwardly. Did you ever call the hotline? I have also heard that a milk allergy can cause mild blunting. Have you had that tested?

frieze Community Regular

I received Zoeys Procedure & Pathology report. After the receptionist told me I HAD to get it from the medical records place, I later talked to a nurse from the GI dept who said it was no problem and mailed me the reports.

It looks like they took 12 biobsy, so I'm guessing that is quite a few. Here is what the paper says.

The Procedure/Operative Report.

The duodenal mucosa in the 2nd & 3rd portions appear normal. 4 biobsies were obtained. In the duodenal bulb, there was a mild nodularity; no obvious notching or blunting of the rings(right after her procedure he told us she had mild blunting, didn't say anything about nodularity-are those the same?) Biobsies were obtained from the bulb as well. The gastric mucosa appeared normal. There was well defined squamocolumnar junction. The entire esophageal mucosa appeared normal.

Biobsies were taken from:

*Duodenum x4

*Duodenal x2

*Gastric antrum X2

*Distal esophagus x2

*Proximal espphagus x2

Pathology Procedure:

Microscopic Examination:

Sections show small bowel mucosa, duodenal mucosa, gastric mucosa, esophogeal mucosa in the normal limits.

Final Diagnosis:

Duodenal biobsy: No diagnostic pathology

duodenal bulb:No diagnostic pathology

antrum biobsy:No diagnostic pathology

esophageal biobsy distal:No diagnostic pathology

esophageal biobsy proximal: No diagnostic pathology

Endoscopically and histologically normal, no evidence of Celiac disease.

Any thoughts on the Procedure or Pathology report. I thought the Pathology report would be more detailed with numbers and such but it doesn't give any details. And what does No diagnostic pathology mean?

We have all been on the gluten free diet for 1 week & 1 day so far and both girls are still constipated but their appetites have increased, especially Zoey. She has gone from the pickiest eater to actually trying and eating things that she has never before. So far neither of them have been complaining of abdominal pain so we'll see how that goes and if their constipation ever goes away.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived