roxieb73

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy

Rate this topic

Any tips? I know with my double DQ1 status chances that it is shows anything are slim but I have other reasons to have it done like vomiting blood. So wish me luck.

Roxie

You have all the luck I can throw your way. I hope it solves some of your issues. Be well.

EGD is a piece of cake. (Gluten free cake cuz if it was real cake it would be enjoyable!)

But it is no big deal- be over before you know it. I didn't even have a sore throat after. I did have a lot of belly pain for a few days though (irritated duodenum I was told when I went to the ER)

Make sure to confirm the number of biopsy samples the GI will take before you go under! Bare minimum of 4- 8-16 is recommended. Most only do 1 or 2, and a few think they can just "look around" and rule out celiac. (Mine was one of those. I grudgingly got him to agree to take 4 samples IN the OR! He told me he cud dx celiac by looking! As it turned out, in my case he cud. But when he did my daughters, he was shocked because her intestines looked perfect, but the biopsies I forced him to do showed celiac. Ha! Vindication!)

Anyway...just don't be afraid to be firm about what he is going to do. You would be shocked how many people go under for a celiac check and the doc ends up not doing it cuz he thinks he finds out "the real probblem" this happened to both my nieces and a good friend! So they had surgery for nothing and ended up on PPI's because the doc dx barretts esophagus in all of them. Duh! Celiac can cause Barretts!

Anyway...hope yours goes very well and they get to the bottom of your problem!

• Upvote 2

Bring someone with you to talk to the doctor when you are done.

I was a babbling idiot after the sedative wore off so I have no idea what I said to the doctor and not really sure what he told me . . . I had to call back the next day to get information/instructions, etc.

Cara

• Upvote 1

And Roxie, between now & then gorge yourself on all the gluteny things you love the best. Make a total pig of yourself! Maybe it will make you so sick of those food items that when you go gluten-free you'll never miss them & will in fact gag at the very thought of them.smile.gif

A little psychological warfare never hurt anyone.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

You have all the luck I can throw your way. I hope it solves some of your issues. Be well.

Me too thank you so much! :D

EGD is a piece of cake. (Gluten free cake cuz if it was real cake it would be enjoyable!)

But it is no big deal- be over before you know it. I didn't even have a sore throat after. I did have a lot of belly pain for a few days though (irritated duodenum I was told when I went to the ER)

Make sure to confirm the number of biopsy samples the GI will take before you go under! Bare minimum of 4- 8-16 is recommended. Most only do 1 or 2, and a few think they can just "look around" and rule out celiac. (Mine was one of those. I grudgingly got him to agree to take 4 samples IN the OR! He told me he cud dx celiac by looking! As it turned out, in my case he cud. But when he did my daughters, he was shocked because her intestines looked perfect, but the biopsies I forced him to do showed celiac. Ha! Vindication!)

Anyway...just don't be afraid to be firm about what he is going to do. You would be shocked how many people go under for a celiac check and the doc ends up not doing it cuz he thinks he finds out "the real probblem" this happened to both my nieces and a good friend! So they had surgery for nothing and ended up on PPI's because the doc dx barretts esophagus in all of them. Duh! Celiac can cause Barretts!

Anyway...hope yours goes very well and they get to the bottom of your problem!

That is great advice. Thank you for sharing your story too. I really don't expect the biopsies to turn up anything. From what I have read it is VERY RARE for a DQ1 to have villi damage.

Bring someone with you to talk to the doctor when you are done.

I was a babbling idiot after the sedative wore off so I have no idea what I said to the doctor and not really sure what he told me . . . I had to call back the next day to get information/instructions, etc.

Cara

Hahaha :D Thanks Cara got it covered my mom is a nurse and she is taking me. ;)

And Roxie, between now & then gorge yourself on all the gluteny things you love the best. Make a total pig of yourself! Maybe it will make you so sick of those food items that when you go gluten-free you'll never miss them & will in fact gag at the very thought of them.smile.gif

A little psychological warfare never hurt anyone.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

This I will definately do! :P Going to say my goodbyes to my favorite Lo Mein tonight. :)