Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sunny1008

Are These Symptoms Of Gluten Intolerance?

YES! I was practically sleepless for 2 years. Could not swallow, gagging on foods, my mouth, tongue, throat swollen and BURNING, my jaw and face in pain, eyes swollen, dry and itchy and my face just throbbed. My ears rung constantly. My chest, ribs, and lungs hurt,

If felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest and in my sternum. The gripping pain spread throughout my chest--it was as if I had swallowed a golf ball and it was stuck right there. Nauseous and dry heaving (or vomiting) and abdominal cramping the whole time.

Guess what we thought would help? yes, the famous tea and TOAST. :blink:

I just walked round and round my house sobbing quietly so I would not wake up my poor hubs who had already sat up with me for hours while I was passing out on the toilet. He washed me down with cool cloths and carried me into bed, where I could not sleep anyway from the pain in my skin, joints, bones and insomnia. I was revved up on gluten.

I cannot adequately express in words how bad it was. I often said I'd rather be dead than live like this. (obviously, I did not mean that as I fought hard to find an answer)

Believe me, if your symptoms are related to gluten and you do off it, you'll get relief from that wicked pain.

YES! I was practically sleepless for 2 years. Could not swallow, gagging on foods, my mouth, tongue, throat swollen and BURNING, my jaw and face in pain, eyes swollen, dry and itchy and my face just throbbed. My ears rung constantly. My chest, ribs, and lungs hurt,

If felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest and in my sternum. The gripping pain spread throughout my chest--it was as if I had swallowed a golf ball and it was stuck right there. Nauseous and dry heaving (or vomiting) and abdominal cramping the whole time.

Guess what we thought would help? yes, the famous tea and TOAST. :blink:

I just walked round and round my house sobbing quietly so I would not wake up my poor hubs who had already sat up with me for hours while I was passing out on the toilet. He washed me down with cool cloths and carried me into bed, where I could not sleep anyway from the pain in my skin, joints, bones and insomnia. I was revved up on gluten.

I cannot adequately express in words how bad it was. I often said I'd rather be dead than live like this. (obviously, I did not mean that as I fought hard to find an answer)

Believe me, if your symptoms are related to gluten and you do off it, you'll get relief from that wicked pain.

IrishHeart,

Oh my gosh, that is terrible! How did you survive all of that??! I can definitely relate to your symptoms, although mine are not as extreme as yours were. I wake up every night, especially if I have eaten something that is hard to digest (i.e. the strawberries the other night). I have spent many a night with the cool cloth on my forehead trying to get some relief! Sometimes I get this feeling where I feel nauseous but hungry at the same time, if that is even possible. UGH, this is no fun!

Sunny

No, it was no fun at all. But most of the GI symptoms I had are resolved.

I hope you can find relief in the coming weeks.

IrishHeart,

Another question: In the beginning when you first went off gluten, did you still feel sick to your stomach all the time? I feel sick after eating, no matter WHAT I eat, even if it does not have gluten in it. The only time I don't feel sick is in the morning after I eat a bowl of gluten-free rice krispies. But the whole rest of the day I am sick with nausea, indigestion, acid reflux, etc...

I have only been completely gluten free for a couple of weeks. I am assuming this is par for the course, until my gut heals??

Thanks again!

Sunny

And Sunny, take culturelle or some kind of gluten-free probiotics. I wasn't where you or IH were & I still know it when I've forgotten to take my culturelle. Hits me between breakfast & lunch & then I say Oops! Forgot my culturelle.

And in the last year, year & 1/2 before I figured it all out I had that nausea, indigestion thing going on while at the same time being hungry. The nausea was really strange for me as I have experienced very little nausea in my lifetime.

You undoubtedly need some vitamins. See if you can get your doc to check your levels so you know what to take. If doc won't do it & you can pay for it out of pocket then I'm sure you can go to a lab & get the blood draw & check them yourself.

Yes, hon, sadly, I took a long time to heal before I felt well.

But everyone is different and healing times vary.

Just hang in there.

Drink a lot of water and try taking out dairy for a few weeks.

OK, I am hanging in there! ;)

And Sunny, take culturelle or some kind of gluten-free probiotics. I wasn't where you or IH were & I still know it when I've forgotten to take my culturelle. Hits me between breakfast & lunch & then I say Oops! Forgot my culturelle.

And in the last year, year & 1/2 before I figured it all out I had that nausea, indigestion thing going on while at the same time being hungry. The nausea was really strange for me as I have experienced very little nausea in my lifetime.

You undoubtedly need some vitamins. See if you can get your doc to check your levels so you know what to take. If doc won't do it & you can pay for it out of pocket then I'm sure you can go to a lab & get the blood draw & check them yourself.

Hi Squirmy,

I tried taking a probiotic the other day (one of those pearls) and it made me SO nauseous. I told my GI doc that and he said if that happens, then it is working against you. (???)

Good idea about the vitamin levels. I will ask to have them checked. I know D and B12 are deficient.

Thanks!

WHAT??

Probiotics cannot "work against" you, hon. That's crazy. They are naturally occurring organisms in your body. Why would he say that?

Read this please.

http://thefooddoc.com/probiotic_facts

Try taking a small dose for a few days and work your way up?

Try a different brand, like the Culturelle DF ?

Skip every other day and see if they sit better?

DRINK a lot of water. You are dehydrated, no doubt.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, take a probiotic that is dairy free.

I take Nature's Bounty Chewable Acidophilus with Bifidus, which is milk free.

When I was just diagnosed, I tried probiotics (can remember which brand) and they did not settle well with me at all. I've heard the same from others on the forum.

Hope for your feel better soon. :)

Lisa raises a good point.

Some people can't tolerate them at first.

It does not mean they are not good for you, or that they

are harmful, but maybe they are just too much.

Skip them for now. You can always try them again in a few weeks.

Lisa raises a good point.

Some people can't tolerate them at first.

It does not mean they are not good for you, or that they

are harmful, but maybe they are just too much.

Skip them for now. You can always try them again in a few weeks.

OK, I will wait a couple of weeks and then revisit them.