ShannonA

Only Whole Foods Diet

Rate this topic

Since going gluten free 1 month ago, now I seem to only tolerate whole foods. I chose to try removing gluten from my diet to see it daily migraines x 2 years and my neuroLogical symptoms would improve. The severity of the migraines have eased up and I am able to do much more before becoming fatigued, I was in bed for a whole year. So looking at the positive, it's looking good. But I only tolerate whole foods, why? Is this maybe my body's way to try to heal by saying " don't give anything unnatural ". I just don't understand the physiological aspect of what is going on. And neither can any doctor. Thanks for any input!

I don't know, but, I am glad you are getting results, and stick with it, because you can continue to improve for years.

Much of our processed foods have additives/preservatives and strange, hard to digest chemicals in them which are designed to thwart the growth of bacteria and molds and fungus, and/or they have herbicide and pesticide residues in levels too low to bother the unwell, but which set off the sensitive. Your lower intestines are full of bacteria which help digest food, so altering the type or health of the bacteria in there is, of course, going to alter how your gut functions.

edited to add: I have to stick to mostly whole foods, also, if I want to be able to function "almost as if a normal person."

• Upvote 2

I also need a whole foods diet. Early on I found that I did better with things made in facilities which didn't process gluten than ones that just cleaned their lines between runs. Consequently, I believe that at least some of my issues come from gluten cross contamination.

I am not sure if this answers the question, but I think of the gut as being tasked with double duty, 1) digestion/absorption of food and 2) first line of immune system defense. Whole, clean, minimally processed food is easiest to digest and assimilate which perhaps lightens the burden on the gut portion of the immune system, thus perhaps freeing up more of the total immune system capacity to go after other threats more aggressively...

I am not sure if this answers the question, but I think of the gut as being tasked with double duty, 1) digestion/absorption of food and 2) first line of immune system defense. Whole, clean, minimally processed food is easiest to digest and assimilate which perhaps lightens the burden on the gut portion of the immune system, thus perhaps freeing up more of the total immune system capacity to go after other threats more aggressively...

Agreed! My thoughts completely!!