Dugudugu

Is Celiac Disease Always Inherited From Birth On?

Rate this topic

As my IgA and B12 were very low, being extremely tired, and despite having a negative celiac blood results, I started a gluten free diet two months ago. My patience is being challenged as I haven't seen any improvements, in fact, I am more tired than ever. But that's not why I starting a new topic.

Let say I have celiac disease or a gluten intolerance, shouldn't I have this from baby on? I cannot remember my mother having issues with me keeping the food in, or being slow in growth.

It celiac disease or gluten intolerance something you can 'just' get over the years? I am 42 yrs. Just wondering...

Thank you for any reply.

From the limited knowledge I have, yes it can. It may "exist" in you from birth, but symptoms and/or damage can be triggered by something that happens in your life (stress, other medical problems, pregnancy, etc.)

Speaking only about celiac disease, you can have the gene....but it needs to be triggered to cause celiac. I actually did have it from birth...but that's a long story. Most people seem to develop celiac sometime in their lifetime, but, again, it needs to be triggered by a particular event.

Yes, for Celiac Disease you must have a celiac gene from birth, but the disease can be triggered at anytime for a variety of reasons.

I was diagnosed at 42 but had obvious symptoms from my early 20s along with some symptoms my entire life that weren't apparent until I was diagnosed and learned about celiac.

Thank you.

And gluten intolerance? Is that also from birth?

As far as I have read, the jury is still out with regard to a genetic link in gluten intolerance -- someone else may have better intel with regard to the genetic link to intolerance.