rami

Question About Test Results.......

Rate this topic

We just got the celiac panel results back for my 9 year old son and 27 month old daughter and I have a couple questions that I was hoping you all might have experience with

9 year old

ttg IgA. 5

Standard range <=19

ttg IgG. 2

Standard range <=19

Total IgA. 284

Standard range 37-186

27 month old (using same standard range for the ttg tests)

ttg IgA. 2

ttg IgG. 3

Total IgA. 45

Standard range 15-106

Our pediatrician stated that both kids were negative for celiac and that we didn't need to have the 9 year old retested. He did have a higher than normal total IgA which she said means he has a very healthy immune system. Have any of you had a higher than normal total IgA and if so what was your doctor's response. Will either of the kids need to be retested?

The reason we had them tested was because my 8 year old son was diagnosed with celiac after abnormal bloodwork and biopsy. I guess I'm confused because the pediatric GI indicated that even if both kids were negative we would have to retest both in three years. Anyone have experience with this situation? Thanks for your help,

The GI is correct that they should be tested again. I've read that re-tests should take place at 3-5 year intervals - unless symptoms arise. Celiac Disease can be triggered at any age.

If they already have symptoms with negative blood work - gluten should be completely removed for at least three months to monitor symptoms.

I don't have an answer about elevated Total IgA.

We just got the celiac panel results back for my 9 year old son and 27 month old daughter and I have a couple questions that I was hoping you all might have experience with

9 year old

ttg IgA. 5

Standard range <=19

ttg IgG. 2

Standard range <=19

Total IgA. 284

Standard range 37-186

27 month old (using same standard range for the ttg tests)

ttg IgA. 2

ttg IgG. 3

Total IgA. 45

Standard range 15-106

Our pediatrician stated that both kids were negative for celiac and that we didn't need to have the 9 year old retested. He did have a higher than normal total IgA which she said means he has a very healthy immune system. Have any of you had a higher than normal total IgA and if so what was your doctor's response. Will either of the kids need to be retested?

The reason we had them tested was because my 8 year old son was diagnosed with celiac after abnormal bloodwork and biopsy. I guess I'm confused because the pediatric GI indicated that even if both kids were negative we would have to retest both in three years. Anyone have experience with this situation? Thanks for your help,

The only references i could find were to alcohol consumption and diabetes.

My nephew was too young to be tested, so all gluten was removed from his diet then at 16 months he was given regular cereals, bread and pasta for a week, he screamed the whole time, so is now gluten free again. When he's older they will look at putting him back on it to have him tested, but for now they are happy to have a gluten-free diet, which means I feel better when my daughter visits, I know they will know how to feed her because they are also vegan. I just have to make sure to remind them of her other allergies too.

Can you remove gluten from their diet then when they are older put them back on it for a few months to test them again?

That's great that your kids are nagative for celiac. As others said, they could develop it later in their lives since the autoimmune diseases usually run in families, then again they may never get it. :)

Be on the lookout for symptoms since many young kids can test negatively for celiac even if they have it. And retest every few years to be safe, or put the whole family gluten-free and then celiac will never show symptoms even if it is triggered. :)

Best wishes.