yankeegirl

Nothing Seen On Scope... Chances Biopsy Still Positive?

Rate this topic

I had my endoscopy today, and it showed a few things.. Like possible delay in stomach emptying (which I had an emptying study done for as well), mild gastritis and some edema and glandular changes in the duodenum. He took multiple biopsies, and we will see what those show. I am just at a point that I have been dealing with sickness for long enough that I want a diagnosis so badly. What are the chances biopsy will show what could not be seen on endoscopy?

The biopsy can show damage not seen with the scope. Microscopic damage is looked for and much more is visible to them. It is entirely possible and I've seen it reported here that no damage was visible by the Dr. but the pathologist was able to see it. So you could still be positive. They are supposed to take 6 biopsies though as the Celiac damage can be what they call "patchy". I sure hope they did. If only one or two are taken and not in the spots with damage then of course they won't see it even if it is there.

Many adult GI doctors will not even biopsy unless they can see it. And that was told to me by a nurse for a GI doctor and my dd pediatric doctor. I am glad yours at least took samples. My dd had no visible damage but "simplification" of the villi which is the start. You just don't go from healthy villi to total atrophy overnight!

Many adult GI doctors will not even biopsy unless they can see it. And that was told to me by a nurse for a GI doctor and my dd pediatric doctor. I am glad yours at least took samples. My dd had no visible damage but "simplification" of the villi which is the start. You just don't go from healthy villi to total atrophy overnight!

If that is true I think it is terrible.

It seems to defy the point of a biopsy...to look under the microscope.

Wow.

Thank you for sharing that.

It is actually uncommon for celiac damage to be visible- only the most severe cases are. The delayed gastric emptying is a big clue that celiac may be the culprit. However, if you have been on PPI's for a long time, they can also cause it.

Thanks so much for the info! He took multiple biopsies throughout.. So we'll see... Now to wait!

Thanks so much for the info! He took multiple biopsies throughout.. So we'll see... Now to wait!

Also, make sure you pick up a copy of the pathology report for your records when you meet again with the doctor to find out the results. I agree with others...many times damage is only visible upon examination with a microscope unless it's severe and can be seen with the naked eye.

I just don't see how in conjunction with this nasty rash it could be anything else.. If the biopsies show nothing, I think I will go to a derm to biopsy the rash too

Since your biopsy is already done, there is nothing keeping you from beginning the gluten free diet right away. Even if your biopsy is negative, you might see great results on the diet. Think of it as the "final" test . . .

Cara