This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confused On Results

StevieZ

StevieZ Newbie

Hello,

So I got tested for Celiac by having a endoscopy/colonoscopy. Results came back positive. This was more than a year ago. I've been eating good since then. A few months ago I had some bloodwork done for food allergy tests, and the results came back negative for wheat and positive for milk/rice. I was really confused....

So I stopped eating milk/rice (and wheat still, even though that was negative) and got tested again 2-3 months later. This time the results came back negative for everything except for corn.

Why is this happening? Is this normal? If I really have Celiac, why am I seeing negative results for wheat and switching results for other things. Please help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

You are seeing negative results for foods that you are no longer eating. Autoimmune diseases, including celiac disease, produce antibodies in reaction to certain foods. If you do not eat those foods, there will be no antibodies--the tests will be negative. This is positive confirmation that your attempts to follow the gluten-free diet are succeeding.

nvsmom Community Regular

Hello,

So I got tested for Celiac by having a endoscopy/colonoscopy. Results came back positive. This was more than a year ago. I've been eating good since then. A few months ago I had some bloodwork done for food allergy tests, and the results came back negative for wheat and positive for milk/rice. I was really confused....

So I stopped eating milk/rice (and wheat still, even though that was negative) and got tested again 2-3 months later. This time the results came back negative for everything except for corn.

Why is this happening? Is this normal? If I really have Celiac, why am I seeing negative results for wheat and switching results for other things. Please help.

Celiac is an autoimmune disease in which your small intestine is attacked by your immune system when you consume gluten, which acts as the attack's trigger. If you do not eat gluten, the antibodies that were attacking your intestines will fall to low levels or even zero. This does not mean you are cured, only that you have not been eating gluten so your antibody levels have fallen. If you resume eating gluten, those levels will rise and your gut will be damaged once again.

Most celiacs are not allergic to wheat, which is (as I understand it) a histamine reaction. Very different responses.

I know many celiacs have further food sensitivities (I can't consume milk well for instance) but I don't know anything about allergies... I'm sure someone around here will be able to help.

Good luck, and I hope you figure it all out soon. :)

Oops... editted to add- what psawyer said. :)

StevieZ Newbie

Ok I kind of understand. Well, the real question then is am I really allergic to milk, rice, corn? If I originally had negatives on all of these when I was first diagnosed with celiac... why am I now getting positives on them?

mushroom Proficient

When you have celiac your autoimmune system is in overdrive and reacting to lots of things that it won't react to later. You just have to be patient, eliminate (for now) anything that upsets you, and look to add it back in later when you have healed. Some of these you may no longer be able to tolerate - it is just a wait and see game. I assume you had the additional testing because you were still having some food issues?

StevieZ Newbie

When you have celiac your autoimmune system is in overdrive and reacting to lots of things that it won't react to later. You just have to be patient, eliminate (for now) anything that upsets you, and look to add it back in later when you have healed. Some of these you may no longer be able to tolerate - it is just a wait and see game. I assume you had the additional testing because you were still having some food issues?

I had the 2nd test because I noticed I was occasionally feeling a little tired/bloated... and that's when the test came back positive for milk/rice this time.

If I eliminate whatever shows up as positive, how will I then know if my body is back to tolerating it? Should I start eating milk and rice now that those tests came back negative? I would think my body has fully healed by now from the gluten, it's been more than a year. I just don't see how someone can have to keep going back every 2-3 months to get food allergy tests to see if there is something new you are allergic to or to see if you are allergic again to something that was negative beforehand.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Eh we normally wait at least 6 months. I cut milk out (but not cheese) when i was still dealing with major GERD issues. Added it back about a year later with no issuez.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived