This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Spaghetti Sauces Home Made

Linda422

Linda422 Newbie

I am very new to all of this and we love spaghetti and I would like to try and make my own so I know just what is in. Any one have a good one that you would share?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Sorry I don't have a recipe as I don't make my own spaghetti sauce. But if you ever wish to doctor up a premade one, all Classico red and white sauces are gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

shadowicewolf Proficient

when i used to be able to have tomatos, my mother would take canned tommatos (the sliced up ones) some paste, and season it with itallian seasoning. I'm sorry i can't remember the exact recipe, but its one that you can play with to get it just right. She also let it on a low boil pretty much all day (started it in the morning and was done by the time it was to serve it).

tarnalberry Community Regular

The easiest way to go is canned diced tomatoes, italian seasoning, salt to taste, and simmer until the consistency you want (like an hour or two).

Three other ways I make sauce:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/6981-as-promised-a-few-recipes/page__view__findpost__p__159198

Linda422 Newbie

The easiest way to go is canned diced tomatoes, italian seasoning, salt to taste, and simmer until the consistency you want (like an hour or two).

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/6981-as-promised-a-few-recipes/page__view__findpost__p__159198

Then italian seasoning is safe to use?

I have alway made my own from tomatoes pasted and tomatoes but forgot what seasoning to put in, must be old age that is messing with my brain... :D

Thanks everyone for your infor

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Whatever you do, make a ton of it. Freeze it and bring it out when you want it.

I have a recipe (Italian mil) but it is all technique, not recipe. My advice is to peruse recipe sites and find one that involves cooking the sauce for hours, with big chunks of meat and sausage added in for flavor. That will be a good recipe.

Marinara is much faster - chop tomatoes, herbs, seasonings and simmer for 10 minutes. Again, tons if recipes out there.

freeatlast Collaborator

Sorry I don't have a recipe as I don't make my own spaghetti sauce. But if you ever wish to doctor up a premade one, all Classico red and white sauces are gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

Classico Four Cheese is my favorite. Been using it for years. I always add fresh basil and greek oregano from my garden or in the winter, from my freezer. It's so good :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Then italian seasoning is safe to use?

With any prepared seasoning, read the ingredients carefully. But you can make your own from single-ingredient herbs and spices.

tarnalberry Community Regular

As peter noted, read the ingredient labels. I buy the large bottle of McCormick Italian Seasoning (majoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano, and basil) for times I'm feeling lazy. Single herbs individually is even better, because you can customize the flavor you want (sometimes I want it more sage-rosemary, sometimes more basil (though dried basil is never as good as fresh), sometimes something else. But if you're feeling lazy, and want nothing more than to dump three ingredients into a pot to simmer, well... it works great. :)

Linda422 Newbie

Thanks Everyone,

Right now I am too lazy to do to much of anything...just don't have the enery but I'll get there. We are going to can it instead of freezing it. :D

Linda422 Newbie

Thanks Tarnalberry I found what I was looking for on the site that you posted. :D

Adalaide Mentor

I'm sharing this only because it was shared with me. Love2travel shared this with me when I was desperate. I love how super easy it is too. Cook some veggies, throw some meat at it, add everything else. Then just leave it alone. I did also find youtube videos of him making the sauce, because who doesn't need a little Mario Batali in their lives?

Open Original Shared Link

Linda422 Newbie

I'm sharing this only because it was shared with me. Love2travel shared this with me when I was desperate. I love how super easy it is too. Cook some veggies, throw some meat at it, add everything else. Then just leave it alone. I did also find youtube videos of him making the sauce, because who doesn't need a little Mario Batali in their lives?

Open Original Shared Link

Now that is diff.....I printed it out and we will give it a try...Thanks so much.

Archived