This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gallbladder Issues Related To Gluten Intolerance?

Aviiii

Aviiii Newbie

Sudden symptoms that arose last fall...SUPER bloating, like I look pregnant again after eating, and really bad constant heartburn. Tried the tums, otc heartburn stuff, nothing helped. I'm on a heavier prescription for that now, but I have osteoporosis in my family and do not want to take it : (

Symptoms I have had most of my life...heartburn once in while, constipation, migraines, diarrhea, fuzzy brain, serious enough anxiety that I have previously been on meds, and it's been really bad again lately, psoriasis (head).

I did get the "celiac panel" blood test just last week which came back negative. I do see on here that I may need more tests...but I have to find out what exactly was on that panel. I stopped eating gluten around xmas and did feel better. It was hard though and I eventually went back to it for the last 2.5 months or so thinking that wasn't my issue. I did just start again and am off my heartburn med for now, with no issues. 

This month I was finally diagnosed with Biliary Diskenesia, basically my gallbladder empties just barely. My hida scan came back with 6% functionality. I thought all these stomach issues were symptoms of that. The second opinion I went to to talk about surgery, insists they are not related. The first doc thought they were maybe related. So that puts me back to square one with all the stomach issues. My gallbladder doesn't hurt so I'm keeping it for now unless it starts hurting. But if I thought it would help with the stomach issues I would so take that sucker out! Any thoughts from you all? I thought I read something about many people with gluten/celiac issues having gallbladder issues too.

I guess I just want an answer...which I'm starting to realize I may never get and I may just have to be zen about that! I'm trying : ) Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

The pain of a gallbladder is not fun. Mine was 5% when i had the HIDA scan done. I opted for the surgery because it was a constant pain. I could hardly stand to move. Heck, even the recovery from the surgery was no where near as bad (it still hurt) as the pain my gallbladder caused me.

I would look into further testing for celiac.

What tests did you get?

IrishHeart Veteran

Since gall bladder disease IS associated with celiac and gluten intolerance (and the majority of my family members, including me--no longer have a gall bladder )

I would say  YES! it is related.

I had mine removed at 25 because I was so very sick .....and that was just the beginning of all my problems

I was not diagnosed until 53, but not before I acquired dozens of horrid symptoms you do not want.

"Untreated celiac disease can be life threatening. Celiacs are more likely to be afflicted with problems relating to malabsorption, including osteoporosis, tooth enamel defects, central and peripheral nervous system disease, pancreatic disease, internal hemorrhaging, organ disorders (gall bladder, liver, and spleen), and gynecological disorders. Untreated celiac disease has also been linked an increased risk of certain types of cancer, especially intestinal lymphoma."

Open Original Shared Link

https://www.celiac.com/articles/119/1/Gall-Bladder-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease---By-Ronald-Hoggan/Page1.html

cyclinglady Grand Master

My GB was functioning at zero percent!!!!!  Had my GB removed in Las Vegas while on a business trip.  It actually started to rot!  Yuck.   Felt great after it was removed after having issues for 30 years (pain so severe at times I would pass out!)  Developed celiac disease just recently (or at least it was diagnosed with only anemia and thyroid symptoms).   My Dad's one of seven siblings and six of them have had a non-functioning GB -- no stones.  I definitely think celiac disease is related.  One of my Dad's sisters had the GB curse and  still had issues after surgery  (thinking back I think she had celiac disease).  She had pancreatitis twice later and ended up dying from it.  I think she might have lived if she had been diagnosed with celiac disease (her sister and niece,  both GB free,  have gluten issues and I'm the first to get a formal diagnosis).

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

when I was first looking into constipation issues, the gallbladder kept coming up, but I kept reading about horrific pain others would have, and I don't have that.  my older sister had her gallbladder removed in the 7th or 8th grade, which is really young, but I remember her being in intense pain.  I think she has a problem with gluten, but I'm just the younger sister, so what do I know :lol:   I had a liver/gallbladder ultrasound done of mine, and the GI said it looked perfect, but I've never had one of those HIDA scans done.  

Thankfully, my constipation has improved since going gluten free, but from what I've determined, I am having some fat malabsorption problems.  Is it possible to have your gallbladder not function properly, but not be in pain?

Aviiii Newbie

Hi everyone. Thank you for the replies! I have to find out what exactly was on the blood test panel.

Shadow...I see the list of tests that one should get and I'm sure it wasn't complete. I will request the list from my doc to see what was on their panel. I have been gluten-free on and off for a few months so I will have to weigh getting back on again for further testing. I feel a little better right now gluten-free for a few days!

Power- I def do not have the gallbladder pain. I have seen people that have...sweating and lookin like they're going to pass out...I get twinges here and there but I eat pretty low fat so I only feel it when I have an avocado or beef which I rarely have. So I'm hesitant to take it out even if it is functioning at 6%. The docors both said I should not worry about leaving it in if I am not in pain.

I just hate to cut out so much if it's not gluten. I'm sure you all understand! This is frustrating.

Aviiii Newbie

Very interesting links IrishHeart. Thank you!

Since gall bladder disease IS associated with celiac and gluten intolerance (and the majority of my family members, including me--no longer have a gall bladder )

I would say YES! it is related.

I had mine removed at 25 because I was so very sick .....and that was just the beginning of all my problems

I was not diagnosed until 53, but not before I acquired dozens of horrid symptoms you do not want.

"Untreated celiac disease can be life threatening. Celiacs are more likely to be afflicted with problems relating to malabsorption, including osteoporosis, tooth enamel defects, central and peripheral nervous system disease, pancreatic disease, internal hemorrhaging, organ disorders (gall bladder, liver, and spleen), and gynecological disorders. Untreated celiac disease has also been linked an increased risk of certain types of cancer, especially intestinal lymphoma."

https://www.celiac.com/articles/119/1/Gall-Bladder-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease---By-Ronald-Hoggan/Page1.html

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

My GB was functioning at zero percent!!!!!  Had my GB removed in Las Vegas while on a business trip.  It actually started to rot!  Yuck.   Felt great after it was removed after having issues for 30 years (pain so severe at times I would pass out!)  Developed celiac disease just recently (or at least it was diagnosed with only anemia and thyroid symptoms).   My Dad's one of seven siblings and six of them have had a non-functioning GB -- no stones.  I definitely think celiac disease is related.  One of my Dad's sisters had the GB curse and  still had issues after surgery  (thinking back I think she had celiac disease).  She had pancreatitis twice later and ended up dying from it.  I think she might have lived if she had been diagnosed with celiac disease (her sister and niece,  both GB free,  have gluten issues and I'm the first to get a formal diagnosis).

Mine was right there with yours. The assistant surgeon said it looked dead when they took it out. :blink:

cyclinglady Grand Master

when I was first looking into constipation issues, the gallbladder kept coming up, but I kept reading about horrific pain others would have, and I don't have that.  my older sister had her gallbladder removed in the 7th or 8th grade, which is really young, but I remember her being in intense pain.  I think she has a problem with gluten, but I'm just the younger sister, so what do I know :lol:   I had a liver/gallbladder ultrasound done of mine, and the GI said it looked perfect, but I've never had one of those HIDA scans done.  

Thankfully, my constipation has improved since going gluten free, but from what I've determined, I am having some fat malabsorption problems.  Is it possible to have your gallbladder not function properly, but not be in pain?

I only got annual gallbladder attacks (I always passed out).  Each ultrasound show a healthy gallbladder without stones.  In retrospect, I think the annual attacks were times that my gallbadder wouldn't empty, would cause severe pain (usually lower abdomen) and then it would start working again.  No visit to the ER ever caught it even though I had a strong family history.  One gastro thought I had abdominal epilepsy, but fortunately, the nero disagreed!  It wasn't until five years ago, that the doc in Las Vegas ordered a HIDA scan after the ER doc admitted me thinking that I had appendicitis (raging infection).  So, don't bank on an ultrasound.  However, if you can keep all your "parts" then do it!  Maybe if I had known about celiac disease, I'd still have my gallbladder.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I only got annual gallbladder attacks (I always passed out).  Each ultrasound show a healthy gallbladder without stones.  In retrospect, I think the annual attacks were times that my gallbadder wouldn't empty, would cause severe pain (usually lower abdomen) and then it would start working again.  No visit to the ER ever caught it even though I had a strong family history.  One gastro thought I had abdominal epilepsy, but fortunately, the nero disagreed!  It wasn't until five years ago, that the doc in Las Vegas ordered a HIDA scan after the ER doc admitted me thinking that I had appendicitis (raging infection).  So, don't bank on an ultrasound.  However, if you can keep all your "parts" then do it!  Maybe if I had known about celiac disease, I'd still have my gallbladder.

Mine showed up fine on the blood tests and the ultra sounds. No gallstones here.

Aviiii Newbie

Mine showed up fine on the blood tests and the ultra sounds. No gallstones here.

I was lucky in that I know a few people that had serious gallbladder issues, and they said to push for the hida scan. The ultrasound found nothing for me either...just some "sludge" but they said it wasn't important. Doc was very surprised when the hida came back so low. It is twingy on and off so I'm sure it will eventually get painful enough to remove...I won't wait once I have one of those attacks! I feel bad you all had to go through so much pain with yours, that's awful.

• 1 year later...
Chrissie32 Newbie

I know this is an old thread but I'm interested as I have been told I have to have my gall bladder out and I have a bile duct blockage (this was about 6 weeks ago) I had some blood test results back yesterday that confirmed Celiac. I have had severe pains on and off for years and always put it down to trapped wind/indigestion...never realised it could be this! Must say it does worry me that I've had gallstones and Celiac for so long without knowing it.

Questore Rookie

What scares me to death is how much we have going wrong with us, and the Medical Community barely knows what is going on!

So much pain and suffering on this board...I keep praying for all of you!

Archived