joshy

Gluten Sensitivity - Concentration

Rate this topic

i have just been tested for celiac disease but it has come back negative but since going gluten free for 4 weeks now all of my symptoms which included  constipation, stomach cramps and migraines are all gone  all remains is always feeling tired even tho sleeping 9 hours or more a day, The Main problem i still have is trouble focusing  driving is hard since if i look at the road too long i just day dream    my question is  has anyone had the same problem that has gone away or is this unheared of     please anyone  need help  its effecting my life alot 

Regardless of diagnosis, the fact that you had many symptoms improve after removing gluten indicates you can't tolerate it.  

Make sure you are not getting any gluten from processed foods and are preventing cross-contamination.  If you haven't read this thread - it contains valuable information regarding getting the gluten out:

Newbie Info 101 - Celiac Disease - Coping With - Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum

Additionally, have you had any nutrient testing to see if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals?

Finally, it can take time.  That you have had many symptoms improve is encouraging...it just may take longer to overcome the fatigue.

Hang in there :)

You said you had JUST been tested, and you also say you have been off gluten for four weeks. Were you off gluten when you were tested? If so, you might have gotten a false negative.

Anyway, I agree with Lisa - you need to give it more time. Some symptoms clear up more quickly than others. AND you should get your vitamin and mineral levels tested. And you should read the Newbie 101 thread. She pretty much said it all. I just wanted to second it. :)

Yes, concentration was a big problem for me.  It did go away gluten free.  It does come back when I get glutened.  My son has the same issue.  I couldn't even concentrate enough to read the newspaper before diagnosis.  He can't do schoolwork when glutened.  We are both super sensitive and had to go to extremes to avoid all gluten.  

Has anyone else get a pain in the chest, right in the middle  hurts when you push on it   seems to come and go,   Also anyone with gluten insensitive notice nerve damage  seem to have muscle spasms in my stomach muscles an arm muscles

Edited by joshy

Glad to hear a lot of your symptoms are better after going gluten-free! After getting diagnosed with coeliac and going gluten-free I still felt really really tired and unable to concentrate (daydreams - me too) until the doctor had another look at my records and realised she should have prescribed me iron supplements for anaemia. D'uh.

Even though your bloodwork was negative I'd really recommend getting tested for anaemia or other deficiencies. I'm feeling better within about five days of starting the supplements. For the record - I tried chemist bought ones previously and they did nothing, so IMO it'd be worth trying to get tested and get the prescription ones if it is iron you need. Good luck (and as everyone else has said, give yourself time to recover!). 

I'm feeling better within about five days of starting the supplements. For the record - I tried chemist bought ones previously and they did nothing, so IMO it'd be worth trying to get tested and get the prescription ones if it is iron you need. 

That's interesting.  I have been hearing a lot about how supplements are unregulated here in the U.S. and sometimes don't contain what they are supposed to.  I'm guessing that you are in the U.K., is that the case there too?

At first I took a combined iron + vit C from a large high street chemist (you guessed correctly, I'm a Brit :)) They're once daily contain 60mg Vit C and 1mg Iron. The prescription ones are twice daily, Ferrous Fumarate 210g, 69g of 'elemental iron'. So it probably has a lot to do with quantities but I wouldn't have realised the difference (and what a difference) without trying the prescription ones too. I don't really know about the testing and eggs over here, though.

Eggs? Eggs?! I meant 'regs'. Thank you auto correct.