This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Face Swelling

w8in4dave

w8in4dave Community Regular

I have noticed in the am my face is swollen. Not super bad but like under my eyes and maby a lil on my lips.   Also even tho I am using a C-pap I am snoring. So my throat may be swelling a bit? I don't know what it is from? I am not eating any Corn or Gluten products. I am being extremely careful. Last night we had pork chops with Mushrooms and cheese, I had beans and rice dish with it and some asparagus with a bit of hard cheese on it and a tinge of salt. This morning my face was a lil swelled. My Dr. Apt is Jan. 6th. should I call the dr. and bump it up? Or should I wait? Do you think Mushrooms can cause this ??? I hope not!! I love Mushrooms!! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ohhhhh maby it is rice? ohhh jeeze!! Why does this happen? Ughhh! 

frieze Community Regular

I have noticed in the am my face is swollen. Not super bad but like under my eyes and maby a lil on my lips.   Also even tho I am using a C-pap I am snoring. So my throat may be swelling a bit? I don't know what it is from? I am not eating any Corn or Gluten products. I am being extremely careful. Last night we had pork chops with Mushrooms and cheese, I had beans and rice dish with it and some asparagus with a bit of hard cheese on it and a tinge of salt. This morning my face was a lil swelled. My Dr. Apt is Jan. 6th. should I call the dr. and bump it up? Or should I wait? Do you think Mushrooms can cause this ??? I hope not!! I love Mushrooms!! 

?pillow?

GF Lover Rising Star

Hey Wendy,  I had that happen when I started a new med.  Have you started any new meds or supplements? 

Colleen

1desperateladysaved Proficient

SUBJECT CORN:  Did you check your salt?

I went to a sight about corn allergens and noticed that iodized salt is on the unsafe list.  This doesn't surprise me, since I have reacted to salt in the past.  The company that processed the salt I reacted to said they would not guarantee it was corn free.  I use sea salt, but one has to watch even that for additives.  You may wonder why your body reacts when it didn't seem to before.  My guess is that an avoidance of corn(In one with intolerance)  helps your body recognize a difference when you have a problem. This makes me wonder if corn is the reason for my mysterious face puffiness.

I have been wanted to find a corn word list, so I took the occasion of this post to look one up. .

I better check if the link works, since I just couldn't cut and paste it, but typed it in myself.  Somehow, I can't get to the link I picked.  I searched google for corn allergies and then I clicked on an allergen list at wwwcornallergens.com.  I can't seem to get to the link except by google.  I need to print this list and go through my supplements again!

Mushrooms are in the fungi family, if that helps.  I react to fungi such as mushrooms, yeast, and household mildew. 

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Some people develop reactions to nightshades.  I believe mushrooms are nightshades - could this be it?  Do you notice this when  you eat mushrooms?

shadowicewolf Proficient

Some people develop reactions to nightshades.  I believe mushrooms are nightshades - could this be it?  Do you notice this when  you eat mushrooms?

Mushrooms are not nightshades. Nightshades are but not limited to: tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers (both bell and spicy kinds).

Sounds like an allergy to me. Have you tried anything new lately?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ok I know it is not my pillow, It is not any new meds, I did not use iodized salt, and I have not eaten anything new. Geeze just waiting for something eles! I have a sneaky feeling it is the rice, but I guess it could be the Mushrooms also. We use alot of Mushrooms. But usually don't eat that much rice, untill I found myself not aloud to eat corn. Like I said it has happened before just not as bad as this. So I guess it is a grain free diet for me! Lets hope the Potatoes and Tomatoes are still ok!! I am going to eat a sweet potato and a burger for dinner! No Bread. No other veggie. Just a sweet potato and a burger I will go grain free ,see what happens for a couple of weeks. Then try and eat some mushrooms. If I swell I know it's the Mushrooms, If I don't I will have to think it is the rice. Pfftt! I am getting a lil ticked off about now!! I shoulda called the Doc but I didn't. 

Ok after thinking this over and stuff. I do remember having a couple pieces of Candy Saturday. I even posted "I thought I was Glutened" could it of carried over?It was corn, Not Gluten. 2 lil pieces of candy. I do remember having this happen before. I just thought it was morning puffyness but evidently maby it wasn't. It just wasn't as bad as it was before. I am just going to be Grain Free, Corn Free, and everything eles till I see the Dr. This is Crazy!! My eyes are still a lil puffy!! The only one thing good about it, is It has taken away the wrinkles under my eyes. I did find this tho... I think Diane seen it also.. I am not sure what Raccoon eyes look like, I don't have Dark circles, but I have puffyness!! Pfftt! Not as puffy now tho.. 

Open Original Shared Link

I found this site. It says Tea bags can have corn it them. I will have to do alot of home work! I also took a bite of Cottage cheese yesterday. Then I said "What am I doing?" so I looked and sure enuf! Corn in it! My face was a lil swollen today not much. I just am going to have to go all natural foods! It will be too hard for me to handle! I will ask the Dr. For a nutritionist. Maby someone can help me figure this out! I know you guys are all here, but I need something eles to read. Without hrs. and hrs. on the net. 

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

This is geared towards kids, and includes grain products - which obviously are off limits for a Celiac - but the list of "foods to avoid" on the last 2 pages may include foods that you wouldn't at first consider as not being safe:  Open Original Shared Link

(sorry if this is all obvious stuff to you - I'm not familiar with corn issues)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

SCD lifestyle has some no grain recipes to help you out.   That is a website This diet was created to help heal people with celiac that were not otherwise healing.  I grind my own nuts and use them for muffins, pancakes, and cookies.  I also have the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle   Intestinal Health Through Diet.  by Elaine Gottschall B.A. M. Sc. where I get many recipe ideas.  I am not sure if I have trouble with all grains or not, but I feel this food is very filling and nutrient dense.  Even my non celiac children really like it.

bartfull Rising Star

The candy most likely had corn syrup instead of sugar.

Daisy brand cottage cheese has nothing evil in it. I have used it and not only did I not get sick, but it tastes great.

Yes, teabags often contain corn. They use cornstarch to dry the paper. Loose tea and a teaball works.

And the rice could well be "polished" with corn starch. I use Uncle Ben's and it has no corn at all. I've never had a problem with it. I DID buy the store brand once when they were out of Uncle Ben's and sure enough, I got sick from it.

Well Seems I have no clue!! The only thing I drank today was water, I havn't had anything to eat all day! Nothing!! And now my face is starting to swell just a bit! Not bad. I can feel it!! Will a bite of corn in Cottage Cheese bother me this long? Thanks for the tips!! Yea who knew that Corn would be in Cottage cheese? I took one bite!! Was packing hubbs lunch. Pffttt So now what? I hope I don't swell anymore! This ticks me off!! 

bartfull Rising Star

Getting corned is like getting glutened. Some have one reaction, some another. And those reactions can last a few hours or a few weeks.

But I'm wondering if something else is going on. I just googled causes of facial swelling and a Livestrong article said that hypothyroidism can cause it. And of course we all know that many celiacs have thyroid problems.

Thank you Bartfull, Yes my Dr. Always checks my thyroid, I have a appt. soon I will ask him to check again. I also wonder if it is environmental I run a craft shop for the month of Dec. It starts the day after thanksgiving. The last few days I have been in the wood heated garage where they make Grave Blankets and such. I am usually in the Craft shop. Where there is a different kind of heater. and not all the pine stuff being cut and thrown. Maby I am grasping at straws. I am not sure. But I will have my Dr check my thyroid, and I have also learned that there is a test they can do for a corn intolerance , I am sure there is one for a rice intolerance , But it is right at the holiday season! Any Dr. he sends me to will give me an appt. for after the hoildays. If I get any worse I will go to the ER. I have decided to let them figure it out.. I am so frustrated!!  And you know who is so very busy making stuff for my craft shop, Afraid to eat and or drink anything! I am sick of being allergic to everything! Ughhhh.. I know so many feel my pain! Thank you everyone! For all your help! 

frieze Community Regular

Thank you Bartfull, Yes my Dr. Always checks my thyroid, I have a appt. soon I will ask him to check again. I also wonder if it is environmental I run a craft shop for the month of Dec. It starts the day after thanksgiving. The last few days I have been in the wood heated garage where they make Grave Blankets and such. I am usually in the Craft shop. Where there is a different kind of heater. and not all the pine stuff being cut and thrown. Maby I am grasping at straws. I am not sure. But I will have my Dr check my thyroid, and I have also learned that there is a test they can do for a corn intolerance , I am sure there is one for a rice intolerance , But it is right at the holiday season! Any Dr. he sends me to will give me an appt. for after the hoildays. If I get any worse I will go to the ER. I have decided to let them figure it out.. I am so frustrated!!  And you know who is so very busy making stuff for my craft shop, Afraid to eat and or drink anything! I am sick of being allergic to everything! Ughhhh.. I know so many feel my pain! Thank you everyone! For all your help! 

have you tried an antihistamine?

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree with Frieze.  My first line of defense for allergies is Benedryl (or generic version).  I keep the kind that dissolve under the tongue with me in my purse.  

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I also wonder if it is environmental I run a craft shop for the month of Dec. 

I think you may be onto something there.  I tend to be very sensitive to anything smelly and am allergic to dried flowers - they make my eyes red, itchy, and puffy.  Fresh cut wood, markers, glue... all are pretty much a guaranteed headache for me.

WestCoastGirl Apprentice

I really don't think it's the rice.

Have you considered lactose intolerance?

Well I don't think it is lactose. I can go months without it. I just dont eat much cheese and drink much milk. can't tell you the last time I drank milk. but anyway. I think it is the environment. I should of known. I will still have the Dr. check my thyroid. 

WestCoastGirl Apprentice

Well I don't think it is lactose. I can go months without it. I just dont eat much cheese and drink much milk. can't tell you the last time I drank milk. but anyway. I think it is the environment. I should of known. I will still have the Dr. check my thyroid. 

Right, but the thing is you did eat cheese the day you swelled, right? Not trying to talk you into it, LOL. Just putting it out there. Good luck with your thyroid test!

Right, but the thing is you did eat cheese the day you swelled, right? Not trying to talk you into it, LOL. Just putting it out there. Good luck with your thyroid test!

Might have ... Not sure ! I don't remember... I will keep an eye on that also, Just to be sure,  Thanks :) So far all my thyroid tests have been negative .... I think I will eat Rice tomorrow and see how it affects me. Just to rule it out. Ya never know. 

WestCoastGirl Apprentice

Good luck and I hope you figure it all out and feel better! We really are like scientific experiments on ourselves in this quest. Eliminate this, try that...It's the only way to know what we can eat and what we can't.

Ok last week alot of chicken and potatoes. No swelling, yesterday I had a chicken salad for Lunch, I didn't eat breakfast, I had a lil steak for dinner with some left over steamed Broccoli , gluten-free quinoa.  Bam snoring thru the night and woke up with a swollen face. I did read not very many are allergic to Quinoa. Do you think it could be the beef? I read this Open Original Shared Link It says :

Digestive Symptoms:

• Abdominal pain
  • Indigestion
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Diarrhea

Respiratory Symptoms:

• Runny nose
  • Stuffiness of the nose
  • Sneezing
  • Watery eyes
  • Coughing
  • Asthma (wheezing)

Cutaneous Symptoms:

• Swelling and itchiness of the skin
  • Lip, tongue and throat swelling
  • Hives

Anaphylaxis is a more serious complication that cannot be disregarded. This will begin with the swelling of the face, rapidly progressing and affecting the entire body. Without proper medical attention anaphylaxis will end up into a life-threatening anaphylactic shock.

Archived