This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Advice Re Low Carb, Moderate Protein, High Fat Diet?

love2travel

love2travel Mentor

After seeing numerous articles, TV shows, etc. on this topic my husband and I are going LCHF for several reasons:

1.  Sugar is inflammatory - I would love to lose this horrid 24/7 pain!

2.  Prevent diabetes and Alzheimer's

3.  Improve short-term memory

4.  Weight loss

5.  Become healthier - I eat WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too many carbs!

So, it seems as though this is sort of primal or paleo but yet not exactly.  I have seen this called the Swedish diet. 

Any tips and experience or favourite websites to share?  This is going to be difficult not having rice, potatoes, bananas, etc. but we are both very motivated to do this.  And I rather like the idea of bacon and eggs regularly!  :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

For baking, Elana's Pantry is a good place to start.

love2travel Mentor

Thank you.  I have skimmed many posts re certain diets without really paying much attention but now I am.  Actually, I am not calling it "diet" but rather a lifestyle change in the right direction!

moosemalibu Collaborator

The website I Breathe... I'm Hungry is great for low carb high fat menu ideas. A lot of it is gluten free too.

Open Original Shared Link

love2travel Mentor

Thanks a bunch!   I thought you might have some advice.  :)

moosemalibu Collaborator

Thanks a bunch!   I thought you might have some advice.  :)

I do love food. Although I am eating high carb high protein low fat right now. But.... my body doesn't seem to like anything right now. I am not digesting my food that great lately. Taking my enzymes,etc but still see some undigested food in the toilet (gross..sorry!)

I keep reminding myself that I am still healing. But it's so demotivating to have chronic D when I used to have beautiful,normal BM my entire life. Sigh. One day at a time. Let us know how the lifestyle change goes!

GF Lover Rising Star

Here is a list of Anti-Inflammatory foods.  It could help you with some food choices,  Good luck starting your new Life Style !

Colleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

It's called the PALEO diet. I am doing it to reduce inflammation too.

(and lose the 40 lbs. I gained post DX).

I am on it right now. So is J.

Glad to have the company! :)

I like this chick's book and blog (in addition to reading Robb Wolf's book and visiting Elana's Pantry)

P.S. why didn't ya just ask me, sweets ? I thought you knew I had gone "all Paleo" ...LOL

love2travel Mentor

I knew you were on paleo but the one I am doing is called ketogenic.  The % fat is 65-70, 20-25 protein and 10 carbs (our goal is 50g).  Is this similar to paleo?  I am still in the research stage and have much to learn.  :P   What percentage breakdowns are you doing?  We began today by eliminating sugar.  We are both excited to begin this new journey but admittedly will miss some of our favourite things.  The high fat portion is absolutely the opposite of what we have known all our lives and so foreign.  But BACON!  :lol:   And whipping cream.  And butter.  And chicken skin.  And lots of cheese!  :wub:

IrishHeart Veteran

I knew you were on paleo but the one I am doing is called ketogenic.  The % fat is 65-70, 20-25 protein and 10 carbs (our goal is 50g).  Is this similar to paleo?  I am still in the research stage and have much to learn.  :P   What percentage breakdowns are you doing?  We began today by eliminating sugar.  We are both excited to begin this new journey but admittedly will miss some of our favourite things.  The high fat portion is absolutely the opposite of what we have known all our lives and so foreign.  But BACON!  :lol:   And whipping cream.  And butter.  And chicken skin.  And lots of cheese!  :wub:

Paleo is meat, fish, poultry, wild game, eggs, nuts, veggies, fruit and  good fats like: avocado, coconut oil. Olive oil 

No dairy. 

No refined sugar.

No grains.

No legumes.

It's not exactly my cup o'tea, but I am giving it a good solid trial run.

love2travel Mentor

Thanks for explaining.  Ketogenic is similar except that it allows dairy and lots of it but only high-fat dairy which excludes milk.  So, we have begun to drink unsweetened coconut and almond milks.  Who would have thought that 1% dairy milk contains 12 g carbs and the coconut and almond only 1g?  I didn't!  :o

moosemalibu Collaborator

Paleo is meat, fish, poultry, wild game, eggs, nuts, veggies, fruit and  good fats like: avocado, coconut oil. Olive oil 

No dairy. 

No refined sugar.

No grains.

No legumes.

It's not exactly my cup o'tea, but I am giving it a good solid trial run.

Yep. This is a great definition. Some people even go as far as to only eat what is grown locally in there area.

love2travel Mentor

This stuff is all so new to me.  Never in a million years did I think I would embark on such a "diet"!  But I am.  :)  Thanks for your support and advice.  Today is only Day 2 (sounds like the gluten thing all over again) but it is a start.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Lovely Traveler,

You might want to limit the fruit also.  Fruits have natural sugars which are carbs.  So, kinda shoots down the ketogenic diet there.  The idea of the ketogenic diet is to switch the body from carb burning mode to fat burning mode.  So the fewer carbs the better.  In theory.  Theories are great!  :blink:

Well, basically eat bunches of meat and veggies and nuts and not much else.  Eggs are ok too.  Marks Daily Apple is paleo centric so a good site to look at.  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/%C2'> Of course you can roast your meats on a big open fire pit or do some kind of slow cooker dealie.  There is no restriction on how to prepare your meals there.  Lots of room to experiment in fact.

frieze Community Regular

berries are generally lower on the glycemic scale, I think.....

answerseeker Enthusiast

I'm going to be trying low FODMAP to see if I improve. I'm still having "issues" and inflammation is my nemisis. my lungs, my "bottom", my joints are all inflamed right now. not a happy camper :(

Dr. Oz just had a segment on how certain carbs are related to alzheimers disease and memory issues in general. take a look at his website and you can watch the episode.

IrishHeart Veteran

berries are generally lower on the glycemic scale, I think.....

Indeed! ;) 

love2travel Mentor

Yes, we are really restricting our fruits (sadly) and starchy vegetables, of course.  Today is only Day 3 and I feel irritable, sort of ill and really, really crave something sweet.  Am guessing it is withdrawal.  What sweet things do you eat?  I made cinnamon bun muffins yesterday (decent) and Oopsie bread today (not nearly as good as I was hoping a) but really wish I could have grapes or apples or something.   :wacko:

We really enjoyed our bacon and eggs this morning, though!  :lol:

BUT I WANT FRUITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!  

GFinDC Veteran

Here's some recipes for ya.

I don't eat paleo myself.  Tried it for a while and it didn't seem to help me.

love2travel Mentor

Thanks.  I have been using this site for a few recipes and am making cheese biscuits and crackers this afternoon.  For some reason I was not thinking of net carbs earlier but total carbs.  Net carbs really makes a difference in things such as fruits which makes me a happy girl.  :wub:

My plan is to give this a good three months and note any changes. 

IrishHeart Veteran

My plan is to give this a good three months and note any changes. 

Dear B,

If it is encouraging at all, I have been doing this Paleo diet since Dec. 13th and I can report some things to you.

As we share the same  residual symptoms post DX, maybe it will help? :) 

I had  very definite w/d from sugar,  gluten-free grains, legumes and dairy. No doubt about it.

Headache, tummy aches, weirdo bowel stuff,--alternating D and C,   feeling like a grouchypants, facial breakouts,

strange weakness while trying to exercise, nausea while trying to exercise, fatigue, bad breath--geesh!. (I understand that is ketosis)

Really wicked cravings for chocolate, salty things, bready things. ugh!

That is stopped, pretty much and my breath is kissy sweet once more  :lol: 

Good stuff: I don't feel like a stuffed sausage inside my own skin anymore. Giant tummy bloat

is going down, slowly. My rings turn around on my hands, LOL. 

I don't feel so fat and stuffed and sore in my gut after every single meal. I was really starting to not enjoy eating again

because I felt so horrible after eating. That is not a good thing for food peeps like us LOL

Feel clear in my head.

No afternoon flagging, then surging (which is insulin spikes in me).

My sleep is not interrupted 5-6 times a night. I awaken refreshed.

I went to the gym today and felt much better. If the miracle happens and we both get out of this continual pain, won't we

be happy campers?

I find it very interesting that Robb Wolf (the paleo guy whose book I read) mentions his mother's health history in the beginning

chapters and as I read it, I said to myself, "That woman is a celiac!". As it turns out, yes, indeed she is. And he was withering away and in pain himself before he went paleo. He is the picture of health.

Stay the course, my friend. Maybe this is our answer. I should have stuck with it when I tried it before right after DX, but I had no patience back then and the call of the G F baked goods was too strong.

<_<  :D 

nvsmom Community Regular

I've dabbled in keto diets but full off the wagon over Halloween and the holidays and never stayed the course long enough to get into ketogenesis. I plan on doing a fast in a week, after I have had some lab work done, and then embracing low carbs again.

These sites were a bit helpful to me:

I loved this doctor's site on her experiences:

I used fitness pal to tweak my diet to get it into the right ratios

I like the Fast Diet at it follows the same principles as the keto diet - mainly that burning fat is good. It can help you get into ketosis faster.

I found getting into the diet - getting used to it and dealing with sugar withdrawal - was the painful part. Once I got used to it, I felt quite good, better than I normally do while eating carbs. A short fast of 1-3 days can help you get into ketosis in a matter of days rather than weeks. I ate a LOT of nuts, meats, eggs, avocado, seeds and coconut cream. I had a green smoothie most days with a minimal amount of fruit... I'm not a fruit lover though.

love2travel Mentor

OK.  It has been ten days and I have no more energy than before, nor do I feel better otherwise.  Have not lost an ounce but trying to be patient about that one.  I would have thought that results from rapidly and seriously decreasing carbs would be in evidence but perhaps it is a bit like the gluten thing where resolution can take ages.  Is that the case?  Just wondering whether I am doing something wrong.  Oh, and I am always famished.  Trying to fill up on good fats but it seems as though my stomach is an endless pit!  Both my husband and I are sleeping poorly (my husband always sleeps - he could sleep on a concrete slab in the middle of traffic in Delhi).  I do not intend to be a whiner but basically am wondering whether this is normal or whether in your esteemed (!!) opinions something should be tweaked/changed/adjusted.  ;) 

IrishHeart Veteran

Sounds like some major withdrawal and body changes going on to me. 

I am still wonky myself, but J feels fine. Go figure.

"They say" it takes at least 1-3 months for changes to occur..??..hang in there.

Wait a month before weighing yourself. Your body will become a fat burning machine "They say"

I feel less hungry this week. In fact, I am not hungry at all and force myself to eat at times. 

love2travel Mentor

Sounds like some major withdrawal and body changes going on to me. 

I am still wonky myself, but J feels fine. Go figure.

"They say" it takes at least 1-3 months for changes to occur..??..hang in there.

Wait a month before weighing yourself. Your body will become a fat burning machine "They say"

I feel less hungry this week. In fact, I am not hungry at all and force myself to eat at times.

Thanks for the encouragement! My patience is growing thin (ha) as I have read about loads of people who see improvements quickly. But mine is a body ravaged by celiac which makes me even more...uh...special.

Happy to hear you are no longer hungry. That gives me hope as well.

There. Focus is officially shifting from this stuff to several unread books that I am itching to read!

Archived