Rate this topic

Just wondering if anyone with Celiac have no reaction to plain wheat flour , such as eating white bread?  I ask because I have been in a health crisis the past 4 years or so with no good explanation as to why, but I do know that eating certain things make me sick such as BBQ sauce and other things that contain trace amounts of wheat, but plain white bread does not seem to make me sick, so I wonder if it is just an allergy or something.

Symptoms are: sometimes immediate and sometimes hours later. One time after eating BBQ sauce I immediately experienced Anxiety, sense of impending doom, and nausea. I then stopped gluten for almost a year, and took enzymes with each meal, then decided to try eating white bread and practically eating everything I saw. Experienced no symptoms until about 5 days later eating pizza I got a mouth sore and the next night after eating leftover pizza , woke up at 2am wiiide awake suddenly and feeling nausea, shaking and had a normal BM and felt a bit better then had diarrhea then symptoms mostly subsided. I have experienced these symptoms many times in the past so I know its wheat related. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

I seemed to react slightly differently to different gluten containing products - I know there was a difference between bread and beer - but it wasn't a huge difference. To be honest, when I was diagnosed I was eating gluten most days of the week so I was living in a pretty constant state of illness and inflammation so I tended to not notice the acute symptoms flare-ups much. For example, I used to get a stomach from waffles in the morning but I thought it was the syrup and cut back on that. Anyway, I noticed stomach pain more on an empty stomach.

Make sure you had the full celiac panel done. Not every celiac is positive in every test... or in any. The tests are:

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG

EMA IgA

total serum IgA control test

AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older less reliable tests)

My symptoms seem so random when eating gluten products. Sometimes I get reactions sometimes I do not.

Symptoms change. I had years where I felt good and others where I was pretty bad. Some years I suffered with joint pain and other years had lots of bloating. Some meals caused pain and others didn't... I had no clue it was gluten related for almost 4 decades because my symptoms were all over the place... I got used to being sick.

Make sure you had the full celiac panel done. Not every celiac is positive in every test... or in any. The tests are:

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG

EMA IgA

total serum IgA control test

AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older less reliable tests)

Symptoms change. I had years where I felt good and others where I was pretty bad. Some years I suffered with joint pain and other years had lots of bloating. Some meals caused pain and others didn't... I had no clue it was gluten related for almost 4 decades because my symptoms were all over the place... I got used to being sick.

thanks for replying, what you said about symptoms changing seems like it would make perfect sense for my situation , before becoming chronically ill, I was feeling euphoric almost all the time, but I attributed that to the physical exercise from being in the Army. However I did always eat a TON of food every single meal I ever ate just about since I was a baby until I became ill, and that seemed to make me feel great when I always ate a lot, I was never overweight though which makes me believe that I was not getting much nutrition from food. Nowadays are different I eat much less, I do not crave bad foods anymore, but that is because I had to go really hard on myself about my diet and eventually got myself out of it by eating a lot of fruit, seemed to be the only way, because of blood sugar issues.

Celiac is an antibody reaction so it is not surprising when it takes up to a week to react after resuming eating gluten. Being woken up by digestive issues in the middle of the night is also a sign. At least according to my GI doctor. If you were gluten free for a year it can take some time for the antibodies to build up to levels where they can give a positive blood test. If you want to be retested for celiac do keep eating gluten until all your testing is done.

Aside from a six month period in my 20's I NEVER had a clear and immediate reaction to gluten. Even now, it takes 12-24 hours.

Reaction time and individual food reactions, IMO, has absolutely no bearing on diagnosis. At least not for me. Some people have immediate and clear reactions, but it isn't a requirement to have Celiac disease or gluten intolerance.

Thank you guys for the replies, I now have a more clear answer to me health, also I know tomatoes are not a problem, i eat salsa all the time with no problems. Just about anything with hidden wheat in it will make me sick for sure.

I don't know where you live, but wheat isn't hidden. Most countries have a law that it must be disclosed in the ingredients. it makes no sense that you can eat a large amount of wheat and claim to have no issues, yet a tiny amount that might or might not be in BBQ sauce bothers you. I haven't seen any BBQ sauces with wheat- maybe malt vinegar is the gluten? Obviously, to me, if a large wheaty gluten bomb doesn't bother you, it is likely something else.