BlessedMommy

Raising Chickens

Rate this topic

do lots  & lots  of  research on  backyard  chickens.....Consider how  you  will raise  your chickens. Cooped  & free  range  or  cooped  & confined.. What  about  neighbors?  Not  knowing  where  you live  some  places  have  laws  about  raising  chickens &  other  small livestock...Will  you  have  a rooster?  Even  though  it  seems  chickens  take  care of  themselves  they  do  require  lots  of  work... Fresh water  at least  twice a  day, vits & mins, a  hen house  with  roost.. Straw.....  If  chickens will roam your property  will they be  safe from predators? Fox  & coyote  can  tear  down  a  light  weight  fence.......rodents  at  times  will enter  a coop for  the feed...

chickens  make  great  pets!  Guiney hens are  also a  nice  bird to raise &  they love  ticks  to  eat.....there  eggs  are  small  but  tasty...

Ugh! A raccoon pulled my neighbor's chicken's head through the chicken wire. Obviously, the chicken's body did not fit. Had to use 1/4 inch wire on the coop. Then a neighbor's dog jumped the fence and killed two chickens (free range). The kids were not happy. Our town has rooster laws. If a chick turns into a rooster, they have to go! Smell. Yuck. Supposedly the kids were supposed to keep their pets clean...... Finally, invest in fly traps. We had a ton in our yard and they have since left -- the chickens and the neighbors, so have most of the flies. We did buy an outdoor ceiling fan to hang over our patio table. Keeps the flies from landing!

I am no expert, but check the feed for gluten.

Other than that, chickens are fun!

So nice! Don't take it the wrong way that I am against chickens. Guess who always did the pet sitting? I even brought them in my yard to control pests. It is hard to do on a small city lot and neighbors are not always happy about any any kind of pet. We do miss our chicken loving neighbors and have visited them in their new country house in another state.

It is nice to have eggs. But I have enough on my plate with a dog reminding me that it is time for a run and my veggie garden needs work. I already have tomatoes and my snow peas are thriving! Yet, here I sit... I am entitled to finish my coffee, right?

In the fall/winter chickens need to have artificial lighting in order to extend their light hours.  That is the most difficult part of our family"s

chickens. We feed my chickens some things that I can't eat, so far I seem okay with it.  The eggs will be brighter if the chickens eat grass.

I got free chickens when someone couldn't keep them in the city because of the noise.  Our farm has plenty of room and neighbors that enjoy hearing a rooster crow.

Dee.

I've been contemplating chickens still. Doing more research and thinking. I'm looking at them from a pet standpoint too, as if we get them, we'll be allowing them to retire to a life of luxury after they're done egg laying. (no need for meat, as we're vegetarian)

It sounds like they can supplement their diet with table scraps, which is great, because we have a lot of those around here.