BarryC

Does Gluten Affect The Thyroid?

Rate this topic

I am sure this has been covered, but I have always had a 'slow metabolism' although tests indicated normal TSH levels. Has anyone noticed their metabolism improving after being gluten free?

Try searching on Hashimoto's Thyroiditis Barry.  It is an auto-immune condition associated with celiac disease.  Celiac disease is a chronic condition, so it puts a strain on the whole body over time if the gluten-free diet is not followed.  On top of that, it can cause mal-absorption of nutrients.  So while your body is trying to heal and maintain itself, it is doing that work without all the tools it needs.  Kinda the old 1-2 whammy.

If you suspect Hashimoto's thyroiditis, you need more than a TSH test done.  I suspected a thyroid problem for 15+ years but my doctors only tested my TSH which was always normal or just above normal; I didn't realize that my city's TSH range is ridiculously large (0.2-6) compared to most of North America (-0.5-2 or 3).  Your TSH should be near a 1. Check your free T3 and free T4, which should be in the 50-75% range of your lab's normal reference range.  TPO Ab should also be low.

Good luck.

I got Grave's about 11 years before my Celiac diagnosis but you would know if that was your problem,  Hyper is a lot different than Hypo omg.  I think Hashi's is more prevalent among Celiacs though. Don't really see many on here with Grave's Disease. But like Nicole said, 1.0 is about where I feel the best too.

My TSH has become more normalized and I believe it's more due to compliance, I actually remember to take my pills now everyday, brain fog isn't nearly as bad. My dosage has dropped considerably in a matter of months, by half.

Hi Barry, sometimes the TSH levels appear to be in the "normal" range, but you could still have a problem with your thyroid. This is a really helpful website you should check out, and you'll probably find this article interesting: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/celiac/

It's very common for people with celiac to have autoimmune thyroid issues. I would recommend getting a full thyroid panel lab test done, as well as getting your antibodies tested.