This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Other Sober Celiacs?

brooklyngal

brooklyngal Rookie

Hi all. Just wondering if there are any other celiacs here who don't drink – what do you do for fun? Sometimes I feel like all I can do is go to coffee shops!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Bowling. Picnics. Walks. Kayaking. Movies. Places that play music - you don't have to drink. Juice shops. Play pool. Swimming. Fishing. Boating. Rent a paddle boat or board at a local lake. You can go to bars to socialize and dance.

bartfull Rising Star

Get a dart board and start a league with your friends. We used to play at a different person's house every week and the winning team won the right to wear the "Citizen Dart" t-shirts for a week. (And if you felt mean you could bring it back the following week without washing it first!)

If darts isn't your thing you could choose another game. Make it a party but make sure any food is gluten-free.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I don't drink and never have--my religion forbids it. 

There's lots of stuff to do for fun! Today we went canoeing and tomorrow we're taking the kids to the water park.

GF Lover Rising Star

I don't understand why your social life would be limited by not drinking.  That's like a celiac not doing anything because they can't eat some of the food.  All establishments that sell alcohol also sell soda etc.  I went to a golf tournament today and there were many people drinking.  I didn't.  There was no problem and I would never consider not going because someone there might be drinking.  

Being Celiac and being Sober are very similar.  Both can be self limiting if you let it.  Your health depends on making good health decisions with any disease, condition, sickness etc. Be confident in yourself that you will make the appropriate decision if and when the time comes that you are temped.  This is about your health....nothing more, nothing less.  

Don't be upset by my comments.  I know well of the subject to which I speak.

Colleen

LauraTX Rising Star

I am a Celiac who doesn't drink.  I was never a big drinker, I just view it as unnecessary to me having a good time.  So I designated drive people when drinking is involved.  If we go to a bar, I get soda... if we are at a restaurant, I get something nice and talk the drinkers into paying for it.  But that is not a frequent happening, maybe once or twice a year.  If you are a recovering alcoholic who purposefully avoids tempting situations, then that is another thing.  But since you have not indicated that, I agree with GFLover/Colleen in that it should not be limiting of what you do.  I will go out to a nice restaurant that already has a wine glass at each spot, and when they ask what you want to drink give them your order and say "We won't be having any alcohol tonight"  to save them the spiel.  

I do avoid situations where there are rowdy crazy drunk people and/or there is drug use, because those are things I don't feel comfortable being around.  So, I like rock music, but don't go to the concerts.  I also have terrible asthma and can't hang out anywhere people are smoking, but with many laws nowadays there are few places that applies to.  But there are plenty of other things to do.  All of the ideas listed above are good ones.  I like to have people over to my house and just hang out, we have a single male friend and I like to make him a good home-cooked meal every so often since his family is far away.  You can volunteer, too... just pick something in an area you enjoy.

user001 Contributor

I don't even go to coffee houses because I can't drink coffee and im afraid to drink from a mug because I dont trust that people clean them properly and I'd feel like a fool drinking hot tea from a mug with a straw. I hang with my family for fun, invite my friends over for a chat and cook us up something delightful, or buy some premade gluten free treats and make us some teas and sip them on my porch. I always used to the be person to cook for friends before, so I figured why does it have to change? I also like nature walks, which often includes photography. I just learned how to swim and I love it because I can get really good exercise and it doesn't bother my joints, my friends like to come along if they are visiting. We go to the boardwalk at the shore (I bring a gluten free to-go treat) and play boardwalk games. I sometimes go out to 'eat' with friends, but I eat beforehand so it's not tempting. I get some water, with a straw and enjoy the company. Food is just so social and it tends to make people feel weird the first time you do this, just tell them you aren't there for the food, you are there for their company.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

As a young adult, I found having a bit of sugar and a big coffee before going out helped me have a good time more than alcohol ever did.  Being active helped me keep my energy levels up so I could keep up with friends at 2am.

You can go anywhere you want while sober.  In fact, I think drinking limits your activities more than sobriety.  When drinking you can't drive or boat.  All sports would be harder. Dancing is never as good (although you might THINK you look better LOL). Conversations are affected by drinking as is decision making.... If you think about it, drinking is pretty limiting.

If you want to go to the bars, that's fine too.  Drink a coke, dance the night away, beat everyone at darts, Get some phone numbers, and then be the designated driver to your friends.  Sounds like a good time to me.  :)

Archived