This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Anyone Ever Successfully Wean Off Of Nexium?

CajunChic

CajunChic Explorer

I've been on various PPI's since 2009. I've been on nexium continuously since 2012. My dr says my endoscopy showed "mild reflux" but I can't get off of this medicine! I've been gluten-free now for 13 months, and noticed my reflux isn't near as bad as it used to be. When I first went gluten-free, I was able to wean to 20mg every other day. Slowly it got worse and now I'm currently back to 40mg daily. Is this something that won't go away?

I also have bile reflux into my stomach, from my gallbladder surgery. Anyone ever dealt with that? I was given carafate for it and can't tell if that's the problem or acid. I'm feeling so much better but this just lingers on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

You could try going on something slightly different and OTC like Zantac or Pepcid.  Unfortunately, some people including myself are just prone to having GERD, and will be stuck on something strong forever.  My GERD issues tend to fluctuate and flare up periodically, sometimes I have to take two Nexium 40mg per day for a short period to get it under control.  You may be able to find a happy medium somewhere, it will just take more experimentation.

CajunChic Explorer

I've tried every over the counter H2 blocker, too weak. I didn't realize flare ups were normal, so that helps. I guess this is not going to go away, I was hoping my diet was going to be the answer to my GERD. Thanks for your reply!

JodyM75 Apprentice

I have been on prescription Prilosec/Nexium/Generic for over 15 years.  I was on 20mg 1xday, then 40mg, then back to 20, then 20mg twice a day.  I have a hiatal hernia that causes bad heartburn no matter what I eat, etc, so mine is a plumbing problem and not (necessarily) a food issue.

In June 2013 my dose had been upped to 20mg twice a day.  I had known for some time that this med caused some side effects and in September 2013 I decided to start weaning myself off.  The kind I get is a capsule with little white balls inside.  I know there are other kinds.  Anyway, I opened one up and counted the balls: 18.  I started by taking one ball out, so I was taking a dose with 17 little balls.  I did that for two weeks (17 little balls twice a day).  After two weeks, I bumped down to 16 balls.  I kept that pace up until I was at a half-dose in January, and I've been there ever since. 

This dose is working fine for me, I haven't really had any breakthrough hearburn.  I will try to continue weaning myself down.  I did this without telling my doctors I was going to do it BUT I have told them since then.  Everyone is fine with it.  My GI does NOT want me to go lower with my dose but, hey, if I can.....I will. 

I was given carafate at one point (when they thought I had an ulcer...I didn't) and it made me nauseous.  They told me to stop taking it.

The kicker is with PPIs or H2 blockers that you can't stop cold turkey.  If you do, the acid comes back WAY worse.  Your stomach knows its supposed to be producing acid, it knows for some reason it isn't making enough, so it produces more acid producers.  SO, when you stop taking it cold turkey, you get a real whammy.  It's called Acid Rebound; there's oodles of info on the web about it.

CajunChic Explorer

I have been on prescription Prilosec/Nexium/Generic for over 15 years.  I was on 20mg 1xday, then 40mg, then back to 20, then 20mg twice a day.  I have a hiatal hernia that causes bad heartburn no matter what I eat, etc, so mine is a plumbing problem and not (necessarily) a food issue.

In June 2013 my dose had been upped to 20mg twice a day.  I had known for some time that this med caused some side effects and in September 2013 I decided to start weaning myself off.  The kind I get is a capsule with little white balls inside.  I know there are other kinds.  Anyway, I opened one up and counted the balls: 18.  I started by taking one ball out, so I was taking a dose with 17 little balls.  I did that for two weeks (17 little balls twice a day).  After two weeks, I bumped down to 16 balls.  I kept that pace up until I was at a half-dose in January, and I've been there ever since. 

This dose is working fine for me, I haven't really had any breakthrough hearburn.  I will try to continue weaning myself down.  I did this without telling my doctors I was going to do it BUT I have told them since then.  Everyone is fine with it.  My GI does NOT want me to go lower with my dose but, hey, if I can.....I will. 

I was given carafate at one point (when they thought I had an ulcer...I didn't) and it made me nauseous.  They told me to stop taking it.

The kicker is with PPIs or H2 blockers that you can't stop cold turkey.  If you do, the acid comes back WAY worse.  Your stomach knows its supposed to be producing acid, it knows for some reason it isn't making enough, so it produces more acid producers.  SO, when you stop taking it cold turkey, you get a real whammy.  It's called Acid Rebound; there's oodles of info on the web about it.

Very interesting! The nexium does ave those little balls! I'll be popping mine open soon! Thanks for the info!

I started taking carafate for peptic ulcers due to h.pylori, then went back on it for my bile reflux. I can't tell if its helping or not : /

LauraTX Rising Star

I have been on carafate before as well... multiple times, that was before I realized I can stop the acute attacks (usually when someone dies or some real bad stress happens) by taking two nexium a day for a week or so.  The little balls in Nexium are the functional part, and you can actually get packets of just the innards of the capsule if it makes it easier for you.  The pharmacy may have to order them, but they do exist and work great for people with feeding tubes and those who can't take capsules, which is very nice considering most extended release capsules cannot be breached and maintain the dosage. 

Archived