Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

peppyking

De-Glutening The Home

How crazy do I need to go with getting my home gluten free? I am giving away all gluten containing food and possibly cross contaminated foods like sugar and PB. For cooking items, I am cleaning the oven and everything in the kitchen, getting rid of the toaster, plastic containers, spatulas, plastic mixing bowls, marble rolling pin, cookie cutters, sandwich shape cutters, hand mixer, old baking pans that may have cooked on cake/cookie batter, pizza stone and cutter, flour jars...

What about my daughter's sippy cups (possible crumbs in crevices), serrated knives, other knives? Am I missing anything else? Am I getting rid of too much?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would get new sippy cups! Too many crevices. Sounds like you have it down.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

If you can toss most of that in the dishwasher, it should be fine.  The sippy cups, maybe--but again, if you can wash/rinse them well, they will be fine.  Your hand mixer should be fine too.  Plastic that is intact is fine, scratched up, probably not.  The toaster is obvious--no possible way of cleaning that.  

Join eNewsletter

Sounds  like  you are  in control.... a  stand  mixer  is  fine  but  take  a good look  at  a  hand  mixer  where  the air  vents  are,  you  probably  will see  residue  of  wheat  flour  blowing  around  or  suck  to the  air  vents.. I would  get  a  new  hand  mixer.. Also  if  you have  a  bread  maker  used  with  wheat  flour  , get a  new one  for only gluten-free, no  way  to clean  the  crevices  around  the  paddles....don't  forget  the  mustard  jar, jelly  jar, mayo  jar! wooden  cutting  board or  anything  scratched   or  marred  ie: non stick  cooking   utensils,  wooden  utensils,  cast  iron  that is  scratched.. colander.....

Also  remember  to check out  your  toothpaste, lipstick  for  gluten  ingredients,  prescription  drugs  ..

Donate  your   gluten  items...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter