Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goubs

Newly Diagnosed

Hi there. I was diagnosed with celiac disease two weeks ago today. I am really struggling to come to terms with it. I am eating completed gluten free but don't feel better as yet I keep getting pins and needles constantly is this normal? Also I am petrified about the long term effects of this disease everywhere you look it's states about cancers and diabetes which runs in my family anyway and also other autoimmune diseases. I am a very anxious person anyway and any advise or reassurance would be gratefully received. Thank you

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome! Here is a place to start in our forum.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Welcome, Goubs!  The good news is that most of the bad effects from Celiac disease are from an untreated disease.  So as long as you continue to strictly eat gluten-free, you greatly reduce the risk of those things.  It is going to take a while to feel better, the damage in your small intestine has to heal up and it may take a couple of months depending on how bad the damage was in the first place.  Read around that thread linked to you and feel free to use the search function on the website to look up specific things, and ask any other questions you may have.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I am recovering from 30+ years of celiac damage which had been undiagnosed until nearly 3 years back.  I think that one can actually fare better than people without the disease, because we are motivated and learn to make changes in our diet to preserve our health.  Making a few mistakes early on in learning, help to assure and reinforce the need for absolute awareness.  I feel much better than I did the 30 years since I was struck and have a hope for the rest of my life.  It is difficult at first and it can be a long process, but getting better is exciting and worth the effort!

Dee

Join eNewsletter

Welcome to the board.  :)

Like the others said, recovery can take months or years so be patient. Some symptoms, often bloating, will resolve in the first week or two, but others like neuropathy, pain and cognitive issues can take some years to get better. Be patient.  And be kind to yourself - about 30% of celiacs experience a withdrawal so they may feel worse before they feel better. Hang in there if this is you.

Those other illnesses that you mentioned mainly apply to undiagnosed celiacs. Once you are on the gluten-free diet for some time, your chances of cancer drop to normal. Your chances of developing type 1 diabetes will be a bit higher than that of most people but you can reduce that by staying gluten-free.

Best wishes.  :) 

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter