This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie Clueless In Pain! Help!

Missal

Missal Newbie

Hi,

I have suffered three bouts of what my docs diagnose as gastritis in three months apeach one lasting around a week and being incredibly painful, docs have asked me to have a scan to see if it's my fall bladder,, waiting for appointment. Reading these forums is great but I have no idea where to start with my issue as my go seems happy to label me but not to actually do anything or give any advice. I am to take lanzaprazole every day and have a prescription of bus open for when I have symptoms, I take these alongside paracetamol or codeine, staying well clear of anti inflammatory pain killers.

I have have dermatitis, which I would have never related to my stomach pain and this flares up occasionally, but generally I have a small amount on hands and feet, I blister up occasionally but am used to it now so doesn't bother me that much, I don't treat It I just let it come and go in its own time.

My pain is almost labour like radiating around my back, cramping twisting in my stomach, pain under my rib cage which feels almost bruise like.

I suffer from depression and mainly anxiety which I use Sertraline for, up until the last week or so I have ran my own business which has caused me a huge amount of stres, I have decided that it's not worth the pain and have decided to take some time off.

I'm just looking for some advice on what could potentially be wrong as docs seem to just want to fob me off, I don't think they'd take too kindly to me telling them what's wrong, but if I can get some guidance and proper advice from people who know their stuff, at least I'd sound less neurotic!

Hoping someone has some words of wisdom, this is all very daunting

Missal :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Make sure that gallbladder scan is a HIDA. A HIDA scan will check for functionality of the gallbladder. Other tests like an ultrasound will only catch stones. My HIDAa revealed 0% functionality and was infected -- no stones. I had gallbladder pain on and off for 20 years (it would work and then not work) and surgery was my only option. It is a family curse!

But you sound like you could have celiac disease too. Have you been tested?

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Food intolerances/allegies can cause gallbladder like pain.  I read this in the book, Say Goodbye to Illness.  by Dr. Devi Nambudripad.  My gallbladder showed stones, but no blockages or inflammation.  I had symptoms that could be gallbladder, but these went away when I avoided nearly all foods I ate while I had leaky gut.  I wish you well in figuring out the roots of your problems and solving them.

Dee

Missal Newbie

Thank you, any ideas as to why it's on/off? Last time I shifted it really quickly by eating raw foods only, this time I haven't changed anything and it's sticking around, I can feel it waining but still there.

It's so debilitating, first three to four days tend to mean no sleep and with 5 kids that's a real struggle :(

nvsmom Community Regular

Welcome to the board.  :)

Many, or even most, diseases seem to have symptoms that are on and off again,  Gall bladder problems and celiac disease are both that way.  It's like our body is trying to make it harder diagnose on purpose.  ;)  I don't know about very much about gall bladder issues (beyond that celiac disease can cause some of the problems) but I do agree that your symptoms could be celiac disease so you might as well get tested.  Keep eating gluten until you are tested and try to get the whole celiac disease panel run:

• tTG IgA and tTG IgG
  • DGP IgA and DGP IgG
  • EMA IGA
  • total serum IgA (control test)
  • AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older and less reliable tests)
  • endoscopic biopsy
  • dh biopsy (beside rash) - some with dermatitis herpetiformis will not test well in the blood tests

If the problem is caused by non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) these tests will be negative - the only way to diagnose NCGS is by a positive response to the gluten-free diet (over many months).

Good luck.  I hope you find answers soon. It's tough not being at your best when you have youngsters relying on you. Hang in there.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I do not know why it was on and off. Attacks were so severe that I always passed out. After waking, I would vomit and then have intestinal pain that lasted for up to 12 hours. I went to many ERs, but no one was able to diagnose me. In the end, I passed out at a company dinner in Las Vegas. By this time, my gallbladder was infected. I had been feeling bad for two months. The ER doc suspected appendicitis but the surgeon suspected gallbladder and ordered a HIDA scan. Surgery was my only option. Scary to have it away from home! My work friends were so supportive until my husband flew in.

My Dad is one of seven and six of his siblings have had their gallbladders removed. I am one of 27 first cousins and the five oldest have had theirs removed. Of those, that have had their gallbladders removed, three of us have celiac disease. The others do not want to give up gluten, so they refuse testing. Ugh!

I can tell you that my only symptom at the time of my celiac disease diagnosis was anemia. I was shocked!

I hope you find an answer!

Missal Newbie

I'm in the UK so it's around 2am here and have been woken up by my first ever explosive diarreah, sorry for the information overload but I'm new to this and am assuming it's all connected.

My guts feel rotten :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Missal Newbie

If I do In fact have celiac, Where do I start with nutrition? I understand that until I am tested positive I shouldn't change anything but hypothetically speaking where's the starting point for nutrition? Is here anything else I need to do?

I have a German mum friend who is like the font of all knowledge when it comes to this sort of thin (her son has ASD as does mine, but her son is Gluten-free Casein-free) I honestly don't know how she finds...let alone stores all the info including nutrition, supplements etc, I think she's amazing, I'm just not sure im cut out to be this good at knowing what I need to know, hope that makes sense!

Missal

cyclinglady Grand Master

Nutrition? That is easy. Gluten free grains, veggies, fruit, meat, eggs, fish, all the things you should normally be eating (except for wheat, rye and barley).

But...just focus on your upcoming appointment. Get the scan and talk about the celiac blood test with your doctor. I know that you are hurting, but it doesn't make sense worrying about something (like going gluten free) if you do not need to!

Missal Newbie

Thanks, I just called my doc as I missed a bloods appointment in November so thought I'd check if I could still pick it up, they said yes, I asked what they were testing for and they told me

Full blood count

Liver function

U's & e's

Amylase

Can anyone shed any light on what the go may be thinking? I have an appointment on Monday where I will discuss the new symptoms and my findings here and request further testing, just wondering if anyone has any clue what my go may be considering?

Missal

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am no doctor, but those appear to be just standard tests (checking for anemia, etc.). Good to have. I could not possibly second guess what you doc is thinking.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I'm in the UK so it's around 2am here and have been woken up by my first ever explosive diarreah, sorry for the information overload but I'm new to this and am assuming it's all connected.

My guts feel rotten :(

I know it doesn't seem like a good thing that this is starting to happen but it may keep you from getting labeled with IBS. Be sure to let the doctor know that the D is waking you up from sleep as that doesn't happen with IBS. 

Bring the list of celiac tests with you and request that the doctor add those to the tests he is already doing. 

I hope you get some clear answers and that you are feeling much better soon.

nvsmom Community Regular

Some celiacs are a bit low in some nutrients so if you are concerned you could have these checked: folate, B12, D, A, ferritin, K, Mg, Ca, Fe, Cu, and zinc.  

Giving up food with gluten should not affect your nutrient levels unless you are relying on fortified (vitamins added back in) products, like breads or cereals, for your vitamins. Veggies, meats, fruits,some eggs and a few grains (debateable) are all you need.  

Best wishes.

Missal Newbie

Update

Managed to get my docs to pop the celiac blood test onto some tests I was having done, there were two different tests, so... Not sure what I'd like the results to show but they're done, just waiting now :/

Missal

Missal Newbie

Update

Bloods back and antibodies result is normal, going to pick results up.

I have to see docs Monday as my full blood count is "borderline" no further clarification than that, does anyone have an idea what this means?

Archived