Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beadgirl

Fat Malabsorption & Deficiencies

Hello everyone.

Just a quick question!

Is it possible to experience fat malabsorption and/or vitamin and mineral deficiencies WITHOUT some form of intestinal damage? (Assuming your dietary intake is normal).

Thanks very much.

ETA: Particularly B12, iron and magnesium. I seem to always get deficient unless supplementing heavily...

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What is your definition of intestinal damage? I suppose you could have normal villi but a non-functioning gallbladder. That could cause fat malabsorption. You could have a big parasite (e.g. Hookworms) in your gut feasting on all your food and leaving you with little.

Here is a government link regarding malabsorption syndrome:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/malabsorptionsyndromes.html

As you can see, the list is endless.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) can result in vitamin deficiencies, and those with NCGS have no intestinal damage.  Actually, most autoimmune diseases can result in vitamin deficiencies; I think it is from the inflammation rather than the damaged intestines.

I don't know about the fat malabsorption... I'm a celiac who never had a problem with that.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I recently got the results of stool testing and had a high amount of fecal fat, so I'm not absorbing fat correctly.  My gallbladder, pancreas, and liver are all fine.  I haven't had lactose in 3 years.  Don't know if it's intestinal damage or what.  I'm currently looking into this, too.  It's such a slow process getting the appointment, doing the test, waiting for results, etc.

I did find this article.

http://www.healthgrades.com/symptoms/steatorrhea--causes

Sharon

gluten-free March 2011

Failed gluten challenge May 2011

Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

Join eNewsletter

I recently got the results of stool testing and had a high amount of fecal fat, so I'm not absorbing fat correctly.  My gallbladder, pancreas, and liver are all fine.  I haven't had lactose in 3 years.  Don't know if it's intestinal damage or what.  I'm currently looking into this, too.  It's such a slow process getting the appointment, doing the test, waiting for results, etc.

I did find this article.

http://www.healthgrades.com/symptoms/steatorrhea--cause

what testing has ben done to determine that all these are functioning ok?

Join eNewsletter

My biopsy was negative for celiac, and I had low magnesium and potassium years before (presumably from chronic diarrhea, though I had no idea what was causing it then). I also had low cholesterol on and off for years, despite eating meat, eggs, and a fair amount of cheese. I still had an abnormal fecal fat test after a full year gluten free, though subjectively it seemed to be getting better gradually over time.

It's been almost two years now and I haven't had vitamin and mineral tests done lately, but I feel like everything is still continuing to get better. It's just very, very slow. I did have huge improvements in many symptoms within weeks of going gluten free, but the fat digestion thing has been much slower to improve. My gallbladder and pancreas tests were also normal. I'm not confident in my biopsy results for all sorts of reasons, but in any case it's definitely possible to have malabsorption without any intestinal damage that is obvious enough to be found with a few biopsy samples.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosed by GI with "presumed celiac" based on health history, celiac in family, and resolution of fat malabsorption and many other symptoms on gluten-free diet. Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Negative celiac tests after 15 years gluten-light and then a brief but awful gluten challenge. 

Join eNewsletter

Thank you so much for your responses! It definitely cleared it up for me.

I'm awaiting my biopsy result but I've most definitely had concerning symptoms (as stated), so I just wondered if this HAD to be the result of intestinal damage, i.e. celiac or Crohn's. I wasn't sure if non-celiac gluten intolerance could do this also - it does make me wonder how it does though, if there's "no damage".....

cyclinglady, I certainly hope it's not a hookworm!  :o

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter