Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

abenedum

gluten-free Imitation Crab Meat

Since I am two weeks new to a gluten free diet I am still doing my research and learning the tricks of the available products.  Several websites, including this forum, say that imitation crab is a no-no.  However, I just found a gluten free imitation crab at Walmart.  It is transOcean Crab Classic and states "Gluten Free" on the package.  I checked the ingredients list and there is nothing about any wheat or wheat by product in it. 

I've had some already and did not seem to have a problem with it.  I also checked my Nori and the brand I use is just a roasted sushi nori, no soy sauce added.  Of course I just stocked up on gluten free soy sauce as well, so I am set for sushi night.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this brand of crab meat with any different results?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you can verify it is gluten-free then eat up!  Things like that are just a heads up, since a lot of crab meats can have wheat in them.  The same thing is thrown out there with things like soy sauce- they do make gluten-free soy sauce and that is fine to eat as well, as long as you verify.  Awesome that you found gluten-free imitation crab meat... so can I come over for sushi night?  :D

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

thanks for the heads up. 

I just checked the package again and it states on the back that Crab Classics is produced in a dedicated gluten free facility and made in the USA.  It does have egg and soy in it though.   And I double checked the soy sauce and there is no wheat in it.  It is San-J Tamari gluten free soy sauce made of 100% soy and certified gluten free.

So it is sushi tonight!!

Join eNewsletter

Trans ocean recently made the change to gluten free, I think they are the main producer of imitation crab, as I noticed as soon as they went gluten-free so did several store brands (kroger, food lion)  It wasn't always gluten free, thus you will often find outdated information on websites, books, etc. Always best to check with manufacturer's websites on status of gluten free or not. 

Join eNewsletter

With the new labeling  laws in place I believe if  the product  states  gluten-free  then  it  must  be gluten-free  or a  big  lawsuit  would  happen... with new laws  in place  this  is the best  time  ever  to  be  gluten-free... there  still is work  to made  in labeling  every  product  for  every allergy..... I probably  will never see that in my lifetime  but  wishful  thinking...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter