Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TruePrep

Blood Test Results

I got the results back from my celiac blood screen...

Immunoglobulin A:  226

Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody IgA: <1

<4 No antibody detected

> or = 4 Antibody Detected

So my doctor said it came back "completely negative" but as far as I can see they performed ONE antibody test? So frustrating, as I would like to have a complete blood panel done and now I will have to continue this process. 

Any insights as to what these numbers are/mean and what my next step is would be greatly appreciated :) 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You'll find others on this forum who know and understand a whole lot more about the blood test results than I do, however, I had a full Celiac panel done and my only positive was the TTG, IgG test which came back as a strong positive.  There are definely other blood tests that would be helpful in making a realistic diagnosis.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks, that's what I thought... I actually just  got an appointment to see a gastroenterologist TODAY, so I am brining a copy of my results and I'm going to request a FULL blood screen. Any other questions I should ask or things I should know before I go??

Join eNewsletter

Try to get the full screen. Remember, I tested positive on the DPG IGA test only and negative on all the rest yet my biopsies revealed severe intestinal damage. Plus, you need to be eating gluten for 8 to 12 weeks. I recall that you had been gluten-free for a while and then only ate gluten for two weeks prior to the blood test. That can be an issue too.

Best of luck!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thank you very much; I plan to request the full blood screen... Fortunately, this doctor is listed on the Celiac Disease Foundation website so I am *hoping* he knows what to do and what the proper protocol is for testing & diagnosis  :rolleyes:

I will keep you posted!

Join eNewsletter

Good luck!  Many labs and doctors will only do the tTG IgA test, my doctor being one of them   :rolleyes:   I hope you find answers.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Well, I just got back from the gastroenterologist and it went really well... He ordered a Celiac Plus panel from Prometheus Labs that tests for all the antibodies (it lists: tTG IgA recombinant antigen, EMA IgA, total serum IgA, DGP IgA, DGP IgG) and also includes genetic testing (HLA DQ2/DQ8) so I'm pretty happy! :) I think that's pretty much all you can test for, right?

He said to wait a few more weeks before taking the tests since I was on a fairly low gluten diet before. I am 3 week into my gluten challenge so perhaps I will wait another 3 weeks before getting this bloodwork because I want it to be as accurate as possible. 

This certainly isn't a fast or easy process, but I am happy to be able to thoroughly investigate this and eventually know where I stand either way...

Join eNewsletter

Thank you! Now that I got the full panel ordered, I am obsessing about how long to continue my gluten challenge before getting tested... lol

I was not on a gluten-free diet before, but it was somewhat gluten-lite. I am so anxious to get the results, but I want to make sure they are accurate so I think I will aim for 6-8 weeks of this gluten challenge. I'm 3 weeks in already, and I feel better than I did initially when I was going really gluten-heavy. Now I'm just aiming for about 2 slices of bread daily which isn't nearly as bad. The waiting will be the hardest part...  :D

Join eNewsletter

That's awesome that your GI doc ordered the complete panel - glad for you.  I'm still new here too and not officially diagnosed.  I did have two positive blood tests though and have my biopsy this Thursday.  I had gone gluten free for almost two weeks prior to the blood testing so my GI doc wanted me to do an 8 week challenge (ugh! it's been rough a few days).  I have chronicled some of what I have done over the past 8 weeks to prepare for this Thursday on my original thread here from February if you want to check out one newbie's experience.  I'll post more after the endoscopy and once I get the results.

Good luck!

Join eNewsletter

I will check out that thread, thanks jbeilfuss! I (think) I have decided to do 8 weeks of gluten challenge before getting my blood draw. 12 weeks just seems like an eternity, and I was not completely gluten free before so I'm thinking 8 weeks of daily consumption may be enough? I am just wanting to move the process along but I also don't want to have any doubts about the accuracy of the tests, so I change my mind daily about when to take the tests... lol In the meantime I will keep eating my sandwiches and perusing this forum :) 

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter