This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could I Have Celiac Disease?

ses32

ses32 Newbie

For many years I have had problems with loose stools that started gradually. In the beginning I only had loose stools when I was nervous or stressed. Then I started having loose stools everytime I had my period and now I have them every single day. They have also started being pale in color and they smell bad. For many years I was also depressed. 

Then for one year I took birth control pills and all of my symptoms disappeared. Every day I had perfect stools and no stomach pain or bloating and I was no longer depressed and I had much more energy and I just felt generally really good and I hadn't felt like that for years.

After one year I stopped taking the pills because I wanted to get pregnant. A couple of months after I stopped I had really bad stomach pains. I thought it probably was just because I stopped taking those pills. But then gradually I started getting loose stools again. It has been 9 months now since I stopped taking them and everyday I have loose stools. 

Maybe it's just related to hormones. I don't know but I just thought maybe it could be celiac disease because my grandmother has celiac disease and my mother hasn't been diagnosed with it but she refuses to eat bread or pasta because she says it makes her bloated.

Could it be that I have celiac disease even though my digestion was completely normal when I took those pills? I'm not sure if it could be because that year I basically lived on bread (I was a poor student).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

being as your grandmother has celiac, and it is a genetic disease, certainly you could have celiac.  but you could also have something else.....  you should go and see a doctor.  they can test you for celiac and also other things which may be your problem.  can't remember b.c. pills ever making my digestion any better?  but everyone is different.  really, you should see a doctor.  and, keep eating gluten if you intend to be tested, otherwise the test will not be accurate.  good luck and i hope you find some answers :)

Celiacandme Apprentice

You never know. If I were you I would schedule an appt with my gp. Explain to them your bathroom issues, etc, and request that they run the full celiac panel on you. Keep eating gluten so it will be accurate. I would tell them you'd really like to be tested because of the fact that you are having some issues and your grandmother has it. Good luck. Keep us posted!

ses32 Newbie

Thanks for answering. Yeah, I should definitely see a doctor. I went once and said I thought I maybe had it but that doctor didn't do anything. She just said it's really hard to diagnose it and told me to book an appointment with a gastroenterologist. But I'll try again. I'm really sick of having this problem. 

nvsmom Community Regular

The loose stools may be hormone related but that doesn't mean it isn't celiac disease linked either.

Right before menstration, the body clears out the large intestine - it does the same thing in early labor.  Before I was diagnosed I looked forward to that because it was the only time I felt cleared out; I had chronic constipation so that time of the months was loose to normal and got things moving.

Now, I have normal stools so for a day or two each month, I'm in the bathroom a few times a day with looser stools.  It's just the hormones clearing you out.

That being said, loose stools every day isn't normal so you might as well get that checked. 

You doctor is incorrect to say that celiac disease is hard to diagnose.  If they actually run the right tests, it isn't usually that difficult.

Ask for:

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG (deaminated gliadin peptides)

EMA IgA

total serum IgA - control test

AGA IgA and AGA IgG (antigliadin antibodies) - older and less reliable tests replaced by the DGP tests

Make sure you are eating gluten in the 2-3 months before testing.

You also might want to check your thyroid. Hyperthyroidism can cause loose stools.  Other food sensitivities can do it too.

Best wishes and welcome to the board.  :)

ses32 Newbie

The loose stools may be hormone related but that doesn't mean it isn't celiac disease linked either.

Right before menstration, the body clears out the large intestine - it does the same thing in early labor.  Before I was diagnosed I looked forward to that because it was the only time I felt cleared out; I had chronic constipation so that time of the months was loose to normal and got things moving.

Now, I have normal stools so for a day or two each month, I'm in the bathroom a few times a day with looser stools.  It's just the hormones clearing you out.

That being said, loose stools every day isn't normal so you might as well get that checked. 

You doctor is incorrect to say that celiac disease is hard to diagnose.  If they actually run the right tests, it isn't usually that difficult.

Ask for:

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG (deaminated gliadin peptides)

EMA IgA

total serum IgA - control test

AGA IgA and AGA IgG (antigliadin antibodies) - older and less reliable tests replaced by the DGP tests

Make sure you are eating gluten in the 2-3 months before testing.

You also might want to check your thyroid. Hyperthyroidism can cause loose stools.  Other food sensitivities can do it too.

Best wishes and welcome to the board.  :)

I've been to a doctor now and had all those tests done. I'm still waiting for the results.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Keep us posted! Celiac disease symptoms can wax and wane. It is so frustrating! I sincerely hope you find answers.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived