This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Unexplained Eye Pain

LookingforAnswers15

LookingforAnswers15 Enthusiast

Hi all,

once again I need some help. Since September/October of last year, I have had (on and off), what appeared to be an eye infection in my left eye. It was constantly tearing and at some point it would start hurting. I went to see different doctors multiple times, just kept giving me eye drops and saying that it makes no sense and it is possibly connected with something else in my body. I asked my gastro doctor and she said i was tested for Sjorgens (no idea which test that was) and that I did not have it. When I was diagnosed with celiac, in the hospital they said they tested me for lupus and i did not have it. However, i wonder if anything has changed. I still have another 3 weeks to wait for the results of my recent tests:

ANA, rheumatology factor, anti-CCP, anti-TTG, C3,C4,CIC, ACA, B2-glycoprotein, Anti-gastric parietal, ENA-6. I started googling those ones, but I am not completely sure what they would be able to tell a doctor. Do you know what they are supposed reveal? 

My eye is tearing and it hurts again. So, I worry again about having other AIs. If it is Sjorgen's, I read that people with Sjorgen's usually have Rheumatoid arthritis or lupus....exactly what I have been scared of.

It seems like I keep questioning whether or not I have one or another AI. I was worried about MS (because of random twitches, weakness, pain), but luckily my MRI was ok. Every time I am hopeful, some symptoms appear or reappear and scare me. 

Do you have any advice regarding my eye and what these tests are for?

THANK YOU!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Have you been to an actual eye MD?  Actually, could just be an allergy.  My eyes water and hurt during certain seasons.

Yes, I have been to three ophthalmologists. The last appointment was in August, at that time my left eye was not tearing or hurting, but he said that he can see chronic inflammation and he kept saying how weird all this seemed to him. The only reason why i went to see him then is because I mentioned to the neurologist that i sometimes have this eye pain so he sent me there. The ophthalmologist also said that he did not think it was Sjorgen's but he was the one who thought it could be MS. That was another reason why I did an MRI.

I would be happy if it was an allergy but I had these problems on and off. Sure enough it is September again, when originally it all began last year, but I really don't know.

Thank you Kareng! 

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Have they done the test where they put a little piece of paper in your eye? That is the way the eye doctor tested me for Sjorgen's when I was having problems with my eyes. IMHO the doctor who was puzzed by the inflammation shouldn't have just basically shrugged his shoulders.  Can you get a referral to another doctor for a second opinion?  The eye doctor I was referred to was not just an eye doctor but also an eye surgeon. Maybe someone like that might have a better idea what is causing the inflammation.

Do you ever see auras or sparklies? I used to get that and was told what was going on was ocular migraines. Have those been ruled out?

Hi Raven, 

yes, I have done it a couple of times. I think it is called a tear test or something like that because they use tear test strips to see how many tears you produce and I was producing plenty. I honestly saw 2 doctors at one hospital. They gave me some  corticosteroids eye drops telling me that if they worked I would know it is related to the autoimmune disease. After a few days I stopped using them because my eye felt stiff (a weird way to describe an eye) but almost as if the eye drops were numbing the eye but not taking pain away. Soon after, although slowly the eye begin improving so I was assuming that it was not  getting better from those eyedrops. When these doctors said there was nothing they could do after that (they did do that tear test), I went to a private doctor who said it could be related with autoimmune system but could not tell me anything else. The last doctor checked the eye pressure and did all other exams that he had equipment for. He really took his time with me but said he really was confused why this was happening when I also did well on the eye exam. 

I do not think that I have seen those. I just noticed that my vision was worse at night especially with all those bright lights (Street lamps, store signs,etc).

Do you know what some of those tests (ANA, rheumatology factor, anti-CCP, anti-TTG, C3,C4,CIC, ACA, B2-glycoprotein, Anti-gastric parietal, ENA-6) are meant to reveal?

Thank you!!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Have you been tested for thyroid disease? Graves Disease (autoimmune hyper) can affect one or both eyes (lots of doctors assume it should affect both eyes....). It can cause tearing and eye pain, especially the muscles around the eye. It took some time for doctors to catch my Mom's Graves Disease.

Regarding the blood test.... I assume the TTG is a celiac re-check. The others are for R. Arthritis, lupus and pernicious anemia. I guess they are checking for other autoimmune disorders -- but not for thyroiditis (in this case, Graves).

Hi Cyclinglady,

I have been tested for thyroid but someone suggested making sure that I also have FT3 and FT4 (I think) tested to make it more accurate. So, I am planning on getting it done.  My eye pain is just like you described it, with the muscles around it hurting.

Would an MRI of my neck show my thyroid and whether it is ok? I hope this is not a stupid question but since the MRI revealed swollen lymph nodes, I wonder if it can catch anything with thyroid.

Thank you for your suggestion and clarifying what those test were for.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cristiana Veteran

What it can capture is if you have thyroid nodules.  I had a C-Spine MRI which showed them present.  They then had to be investigated by ultrasound  and samples were taken with a fine needle to check they were benign.   If someone has had other thyroid difficulties revealed by MRI perhaps they can chime in. 

Thanks Christina!

The ultrasound originally did not show anything. I wanted to do an MRI of my neck, thinking it would show atlas, c1,c2 to see if that was causing my headaches. Did not know and the doctor did not tell me that is completely a different MRI. The MRI I had showed these lymph nodes and I was told by the doctor who looked at my MRI to go to otolaryngologist who might choose to take samples. However, when I went to otolaryngologist, he said it was not a big deal and gave me some antibiotics.  

Archived