Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):



Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):


0
icelandgirl

I have kidney stones...spent last night at the ER

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

So...I spent last night at the ER with a kidney stone.  So not fun! I started off at my GP's office where they thought I was having an issue with an ovary.  They sent me off to the ER for imaging as everything was closed by then.  The ultrasound revealed nothing wrong with my ovary thankfully.  Right after the ultrasound I desperately had to go pee and in the toilet after were these little stones.  I called the nurse in and sure enough kidney stones.  This explained my excruciating pain.  They had me do a CT scan where they found that I have several stones in each kidney!  So this can happen again.  Ugh!

The ER doc came in to talk to me about diet and its part in kidney stones and I realized that everything I eat almost is high in oxalates, which is causing these stones.  He named nuts, dark leafy greens, berries, chocolate, etc.  So the super healthy way I've felt I've been eating since my celiac diagnosis hasn't been helpful to this. 

So frustrated right now.  I've obviously given up gluten.  But soy, certain veggies and oats really bother me too, so ive kicked thrm out.  And now it seems that some of my safe foods are causing me trouble.

Has anyone else had kidney stones?  Any advice?

Thanks so much!


January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):


I am so very sorry to learn of your new trouble.  If memory serves me, I'm pretty sure you've already had more than your fair share of Celiac issues.  I've not (yet) had kidney problems.  However, recently, after reading on this site about problems with a high oxalate diet, I have cut out almond flour.  This was difficult as all my baking involved almond flour.  Other nuts have lower oxalate levels.  I tried hazelnut flour only to learn that it also was high in oxalates--just not as high as almond.  No worry since it had such a strong taste that made it difficult to work with varying spices.  My next try will be with chestnut flour.  I can find no information on the oxalate level; but I'm assuming it's less.  I don't want to go without nuts completely as my body does not like grains.  A major problem is that when you search for information on oxalate levels of foods, you will find conflicting information.  I know what you mean about...What the heck do we eat now?!?!  Kiwi and buckwheat are also very high in oxalates.  I tried amaranth; but it made me severely nauseous for 24 hours.

Did they tell you to  "just"  try to lower your oxalate levels?  I don't think it's possible to eliminate them.  I think there are oxalates in most, if not all, plant foods.

Again, so sorry for your troubles.  Sorry I can't really help you.  However,  I definitely CAN share your frustration!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Aww...thanks Manasota!  That does help more than you know.

I'd just spent a week grain free and felt so much better digestively so I'm disappointed.   I can't cut out all grains plus all the oxalates.  The oxalates are in very healthy foods...spinach, which I love, is really high.  They just said to reduce.  Try to eat low to moderate oxalate foods.

Discouraged and exhausted.   Very little sleep and I'm hungry.  Lol


January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

I agree that it is SO discouraging constantly trying to find a "diet" that works for you.  It's annoying to always feel peculiar and very much unlike anyone else.  I feel like I'm continually reinventing the wheel!  Ha!

Strangely, after 6 years gluten-free, I am STARVING every 2 hours!  (I get so sick and tired of cooking and eating.) 

Luckily, we have this site where we can commiserate.  Thank God (or the universe or whatever you wish to insert).  Looks like we just have to continue doing the best we can.  I'm with you!!  We shall endure!

Sending hugs.  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Thanks so much for the hug!! Much needed.

I do agree that as soon as I think I have something figured out, something else comes up.  So thankful for this group!


January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Oh icelandgirl .... I am so sorry!  As we often share, There Is Always Something!  Poor you!

Do you think this might explain some of the other symptoms that you have had over the last few months? Maybe once this problem is addressed you might get relief from some of you other symptoms, I really hope so.   

It seems so unfair as you eat super healthily.   I guess you probably drink enough, too?

Take care and make sure you get lots of rest.

xx


Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

 

BRITISH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

1 hour ago, cristiana said:

Oh icelandgirl .... I am so sorry!  As we often share, There Is Always Something!  Poor you!

Do you think this might explain some of the other symptoms that you have had over the last few months? Maybe once this problem is addressed you might get relief from some of you other symptoms, I really hope so.   

It seems so unfair as you eat super healthily.   I guess you probably drink enough, too?

Take care and make sure you get lots of rest.

xx

Thank you so much dear friend!  It is indeed always something!   

I think it may possible explain the episodes of constantly needing to pee with no UTI evident.  We will see.  I do eat really well, too well according to the Dr.  The foods that are high in oxalates  are fruits, veggies and nuts!  Alas, I will now have to go see a urologist.  I feel so old.  Lol!

The good news is that my entire pelvic ultrasound was good and all other organs in the CT were unremarkable. 

 


January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

23 minutes ago, RMJ said:

I have no advice but wanted to add my hugs.  I had a ureter spasm once which I assume is similar to the pain of kidney stones, and it was awful.  I hope you don't have to go through that again.

Thank you so much!  ((Hugs)) back.  Interestingly I've had episodes of urethral spasms and the constant urge to pee a few times.  And the residual feeling I have now is just that.  I'm wondering if this has been an issue for a whole and maybe yesterday I finally passed a stone large enough to cause agony.


January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Well one thing at least - it forced a CT scan of that area and it must give you terrific peace of mind that they found nothing else to worry about.  Not to underestimate the pain of kidney stones, but they can be dealt with.   

 

xx


Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

 

BRITISH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

1 hour ago, cristiana said:

Well one thing at least - it forced a CT scan of that area and it must give you terrific peace of mind that they found nothing else to worry about.  Not to underestimate the pain of kidney stones, but they can be dealt with.   

 

xx

You know me too well.  :P When I read the CT scan report I was so happy...everything unremarkable,  no enlarged lymph nodes.   Then after I found out that having one CT is like having 500 xrays.  That can't be good.

I do feel better today...the spasming has calmed down a lot.  I don't want this to happen again though.  The pain was awful.


January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Hello Icelandgirl.

You know, I would have done exactly the same thing!  But I have googled this issue about CT scans and there does seem to be a consensus that what risk there is is small.  Try not to dwell on this - rather, think that you have at least figured out what is going on and let's face it, your lifestyle is so healthy it will more than compensate I am sure.;)

I sometimes wish we lived in the pre-Dr Google era!   My current issue is itching when I do exercise which when I think about it comes up about this time of year.  Too much central heating and cold weather.  Except now I know what other nasties it could be thanks to the internet...


Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

 

BRITISH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

4 hours ago, cristiana said:

Hello Icelandgirl.

You know, I would have done exactly the same thing!  But I have googled this issue about CT scans and there does seem to be a consensus that what risk there is is small.  Try not to dwell on this - rather, think that you have at least figured out what is going on and let's face it, your lifestyle is so healthy it will more than compensate I am sure.;)

I sometimes wish we lived in the pre-Dr Google era!   My current issue is itching when I do exercise which when I think about it comes up about this time of year.  Too much central heating and cold weather.  Except now I know what other nasties it could be thanks to the internet...

I have to agree that life before Dr Google was simpler!  In the ER, waiting to be seen, I was googling this and thinking that it likely wasn't an ovarian thing, but perhaps kidney stones.  As soon as the nurse saw me she thought kidney stones.  But because I had been referred for possible ovarian torsion they had to check that first.

So, Dr Google...a curse or a blessing?

Thanks so much for your support friend.

Hugs


January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

4 hours ago, cristiana said:

Hello Icelandgirl.

You know, I would have done exactly the same thing!  But I have googled this issue about CT scans and there does seem to be a consensus that what risk there is is small.  Try not to dwell on this - rather, think that you have at least figured out what is going on and let's face it, your lifestyle is so healthy it will more than compensate I am sure.;)

I sometimes wish we lived in the pre-Dr Google era!   My current issue is itching when I do exercise which when I think about it comes up about this time of year.  Too much central heating and cold weather.  Except now I know what other nasties it could be thanks to the internet...

Have you tried an anti-histamine prior to exercising?  This happens to my kid and niece.  My kid gets a rash and my niece gets asthma.  Both do well with anti-histamines.   Personally, I am on anti-histamies daily (h1 and H2) because Spring is officially here in California.  Itchy rashes, eyes, mouth, nose, upset tummy, and feeling like a truck has hit me.  Yep, all that pollen!  

Of course, I am not a doctor, so talk to one before you start taking any medications.  

 


Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Sorry to hijack the post, Icelandgirl!:D

Thanks so much, cyclinglady.  There is a link with exercise in cold weather for me, I am sure, as my skin heats up, and where it touches belts, elastic, etc. We have some over the counter antihistamine that needs no prescription that I have taken before and forgotten about - I might just take a couple of teaspoons to see if it makes a difference.  This is a problem that tends to come and go for me but is very much worse at those times of year when one goes from cold to hot quickly.   I don't recall it being a problem in the summer.  I appreciate your words - it might help another bout of completely unwarranted health anxiety get the better of me!


Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

 

BRITISH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

23 hours ago, icelandgirl said:

You know me too well.  :P When I read the CT scan report I was so happy...everything unremarkable,  no enlarged lymph nodes.   Then after I found out that having one CT is like having 500 xrays.  That can't be good.

I do feel better today...the spasming has calmed down a lot.  I don't want this to happen again though.  The pain was awful.

CT scans (I have had one) do save lives!  I try to think of that versus the negative ramifications of having one.  So, I can totally relate!  


Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

6 hours ago, cristiana said:

Hello Icelandgirl.

You know, I would have done exactly the same thing!  But I have googled this issue about CT scans and there does seem to be a consensus that what risk there is is small.  Try not to dwell on this - rather, think that you have at least figured out what is going on and let's face it, your lifestyle is so healthy it will more than compensate I am sure.;)

I sometimes wish we lived in the pre-Dr Google era!   My current issue is itching when I do exercise which when I think about it comes up about this time of year.  Too much central heating and cold weather.  Except now I know what other nasties it could be thanks to the internet...

 

1 hour ago, cyclinglady said:

CT scans (I have had one) do save lives!  I try to think of that versus the negative ramifications of having one.  So, I can totally relate!  

Thanks cyclinglady!  I'm definitely looking at it that way now as well.


January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

I'm glad you have answers for the pain and know have the information to get and stay healthy!

Let's try and stay positive here.  (If you knew about the current implosion of troubles that have crushed my spirit this week and left me cussing and swearing and praying you would be shocked I could even say this to you or anyone right now.)  You are allowed a little pity party, but your going to have to pull up you big girl/ or boy pants and get on with it.

Back when my daughter was desperately ill and just diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis on top of having been gluten free for 5 years, she had to go on an even stricter elimination diet.  No top 8 allergens (wheat was already gone) and no peas.  That even took out a lot of gluten free products- pea starch.  She was given amino acid formulas to try and keep some of her nutrient levels.  That stuff was so nasty.  The alternative for not following the diet or not finding the triggers for the damage occurring to her esophagus?  A food pump/ feeding tube.  She wouldn't be able to eat food at all.  Just dumping a formula of nutrients into a port that was put into a location on her body.

It took some time, I found recipes to adapt with allergen free ingredients.  I researched.  We tried things.  Not only did it work out fine, but some of the "new" foods were better than what we were eating before.

Cyber ((HUGS)) for you.


Michigan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

31 minutes ago, mommida said:

I'm glad you have answers for the pain and know have the information to get and stay healthy!

Let's try and stay positive here.  (If you knew about the current implosion of troubles that have crushed my spirit this week and left me cussing and swearing and praying you would be shocked I could even say this to you or anyone right now.)  You are allowed a little pity party, but your going to have to pull up you big girl/ or boy pants and get on with it.

Back when my daughter was desperately ill and just diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis on top of having been gluten free for 5 years, she had to go on an even stricter elimination diet.  No top 8 allergens (wheat was already gone) and no peas.  That even took out a lot of gluten free products- pea starch.  She was given amino acid formulas to try and keep some of her nutrient levels.  That stuff was so nasty.  The alternative for not following the diet or not finding the triggers for the damage occurring to her esophagus?  A food pump/ feeding tube.  She wouldn't be able to eat food at all.  Just dumping a formula of nutrients into a port that was put into a location on her body.

It took some time, I found recipes to adapt with allergen free ingredients.  I researched.  We tried things.  Not only did it work out fine, but some of the "new" foods were better than what we were eating before.

Cyber ((HUGS)) for you.

Hi mommida,

I didn't realize that sharing my experience and asking for advice from anyone else in the same situation qualified as a pity party.   I sincerely apologize to anyone who may have read it that way.  

I wanted to share with some friends on the board what happened to me and as I said hoped for advice on avoiding further stones. The only other person I know who has had kidney stones was my grandfather who passed away 4 years ago.

Once again,  I apologize to anyone who felt I was having a pity party.  No worries there...big girl panties have been pulled up the whole time


January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

well.  *iiiiiiiiiii* want a pity party!!  after every day eating (what i thought) the incredible, edible egg for breakfast (the perfect protein source) i'm finding out by accident that i need to eliminate it!!!  grrr!!!  i had my suspicions, but i skipped it for a few days and have had unarguable results.  so.  mad.  :angry:  

evidently, having it baked into something or cooked in a pancake or waffle is no problem.  i do not understand.  stupid junk body............  <_<  who said 'constantly reinventing the wheel' that's it, exactly.  what is in my diet *this* week????? :( 

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) to y'all, amen to people who understand!!!!!


arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

 

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

 

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

51 minutes ago, notme! said:

well.  *iiiiiiiiiii* want a pity party!!  after every day eating (what i thought) the incredible, edible egg for breakfast (the perfect protein source) i'm finding out by accident that i need to eliminate it!!!  grrr!!!  i had my suspicions, but i skipped it for a few days and have had unarguable results.  so.  mad.  :angry:  

evidently, having it baked into something or cooked in a pancake or waffle is no problem.  i do not understand.  stupid junk body............  <_<  who said 'constantly reinventing the wheel' that's it, exactly.  what is in my diet *this* week????? :( 

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) to y'all, amen to people who understand!!!!!

Thank you so much for the much needed hugs!  (((((Hugs)))))) back!

Have all the pity party you want!  It is frustrating!   As soon as I think I've got what I can eat figured out...nope...something will happen to let me know I'm wrong.  I feel like my body is just so weird!  And why is it healthy stuff that bothers us anyway??  Urgh!


January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Who'd've thought things could get so complicated.  I too think I might have a problem with eggs now.

Earlier I was sharing with Icelandgirl a thought for today from none other than Winston Churchill.

http://susaneliamacneal.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/winston-churchill-and-kbo.html

KPO gals, KPO!

 


Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

 

BRITISH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

2 hours ago, notme! said:

well.  *iiiiiiiiiii* want a pity party!!  after every day eating (what i thought) the incredible, edible egg for breakfast (the perfect protein source) i'm finding out by accident that i need to eliminate it!!!  grrr!!!  i had my suspicions, but i skipped it for a few days and have had unarguable results.  so.  mad.  :angry:  

evidently, having it baked into something or cooked in a pancake or waffle is no problem.  i do not understand.  stupid junk body............  <_<  who said 'constantly reinventing the wheel' that's it, exactly.  what is in my diet *this* week????? :( 

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) to y'all, amen to people who understand!!!!!

 

1 hour ago, icelandgirl said:

Thank you so much for the much needed hugs!  (((((Hugs)))))) back!

Have all the pity party you want!  It is frustrating!   As soon as I think I've got what I can eat figured out...nope...something will happen to let me know I'm wrong.  I feel like my body is just so weird!  And why is it healthy stuff that bothers us anyway??  Urgh!

 

29 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Who'd've thought things could get so complicated.  I too think I might have a problem with eggs now.

Earlier I was sharing with Icelandgirl a thought for today from none other than Winston Churchill.

http://susaneliamacneal.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/winston-churchill-and-kbo.html

KPO gals, KPO!

 

I am 100% with you all!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

0


Join eNewsletter