This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Snacks!

Jherm21

Jherm21 Community Regular

Just wondering if anyone can tell me the most trusted brand for corn tortillas or tortilla chips? Also wondering if bettermade regular potato chips are 100 percent gluten free. I call the manufacturer but the lady didnt sound to assuring I figured I'd ask you all. One off the wall question that has nothing to do with food. Has anyone experienced shortness of breath way before diagnoses and after? Ive only been gluten free for 5 weeks. But am having an echo on tuesday

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I use beanitos for chips, as for other snacks here is a link with places to get foods and food alternatives, how to order them and a few gluten-free list of foods at grocery stores. https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

tessa25 Rising Star

Tostitos scoops are supposedly gluten free. Lays original potato chips seem to be eaten by many here.

How bout the wonderful brand they sell at Walgreen are there pistachios and almonds gluten free in a facility with no wheat? How bout sweet treats like candy 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I would honestly stick with whole foods and dedicated stuff like Gerbs seeds, granola, and dried fruits. But do check those grocery UPC list I had earlier as they had all the stuff those grocery stores have that is supposedly gluten-free in the entire stores including candies, nuts, seeds, etc. Always read the ingredients and warning labels as company s can change formulations per batch, and change sources. Not common but has happened over the years. Wonderful Pistachios brand I have gotten in the past no issue. I would stay away from stores off brands like Walgreen own version of nuts, and snacks. They are bargain snacks and commonly made on shared lines, this goes for most store specific brands. You sorta have to stick to known safe Name brands or specific brands of foods, sadly this is why a celiacs diet is normally so expensive for one part.

Open Original Shared Link

^HEB/Central Market

^Whole Foods select location and store and you can even see what they have in stock.

^ Kroger

^Trader Joes

icelandgirl Proficient

Mission corn tortillas are good.  Tostitos scoops and Lay's are gluten free.  Lots of sweets are gluten free...I have to avoid soy as well so I stick with Enjoy Life and Sun Cups.  I also bake sweet treats.  I eat Planters cashews with no problems.

When my ferritin was low I would get shortness of breath.

Iceland girl how low was your ferratin when you noticed sob? My hemoglobin was normal but ferratin was low. Technically not deficient but in the 20s. I have terrible sob

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
46 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

Iceland girl how low was your ferratin when you noticed sob? My hemoglobin was normal but ferratin was low. Technically not deficient but in the 20s. I have terrible sob

OK this has me intrigued, my ferratain has been 0-2 last few test. I know I get winded running more then across the street. I end up just having to power walk, resistance bands, weights, and exercise bike due to this. No supplements have seemed to help this -_-

icelandgirl Proficient
1 hour ago, Jherm21 said:

It was 15 with the range being 15-150.  I would get short of breath climbing stairs and things like that.  Getting it into the mid 20s solved that for me though.

Have you talked to your Dr about the shortness of breath?  It's quite scary.

I'm getting an echo on Tuesday three years ago they noticed my pulmonary artery pressure was high. I'm super super scared about this test. I don't want pulmonary hypertension. My actual heart looked fine but it's something they are testing. When it rains it pours

icelandgirl Proficient

I am so sorry that you are going through this and are scared.  ((((Hugs))))

Sometimes it does seem to be that when it rains, it pours.  I've been there too.  Try to be positive and take good care of yourself this weekend.  Eat nourishing food and do things that relax you.  I love yoga and Epsom salt baths for that.

I hope your test goes well, do let us know.

Thanks doll! By any chance do any of you known if Skippy natural pb is gluten free safe? And what about nutella? Or other nut butters. I'm trying to gain some weight and don't know where to start

Ennis-TX Grand Master
5 hours ago, Jherm21 said:

Thanks doll! By any chance do any of you known if Skippy natural pb is gluten free safe? And what about nutella? Or other nut butters. I'm trying to gain some weight and don't know where to start

Both claim to be gluten free on their sites, check the labels to be sure like always. I might suggest almond butter also, and if trying to put on weight a nice protein powder between meals, and before bed can help maintain weight. Pumpkin seed protein works great for recovery, and I personally use MRM Veggie Elite and Nutra-Key V-Pro. You might try a meal replacement shake from MRM, Oragain, or  a protein powder, also between meals in a smoothies or just to sip on during the day blended with banana, nut  butters, and coconut yogurt. 

Where do I get all that good sruff for protein you've mentioned. Online? Whole foods? How pricey is it. Im going to have to take out a loan from the bank to keep up with this diet???and all my needs!

Stuff**

And I need something super safe to take for my cold. Normally I dontbtake anything but cough drops but its bad this time and I wanted to get rid of it sooner than later. It changes my appetite that I cant afford

Ennis-TX Grand Master
18 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

Where do I get all that good sruff for protein you've mentioned. Online? Whole foods? How pricey is it. Im going to have to take out a loan from the bank to keep up with this diet???and all my needs!

Amazon has it for about $22-26 for 2lbs of either MRM Veggie Elite Vanilla or Nutrakey V-Pro Vanilla,  Pumpkin seed protein is much more expensive so I normally use it in moderation, But You can get it on amazon best pricing, there is also pumpkin seed meal full fat version from GERBS that is a tad cheaper per lb. Let me dig you up some links.

^MRM Veggie Elite, I prefer the cinnamon bun flavor personally this is a tad gritty but great priced per lb and a good yet simple blend helps with the full feeling,

^Nice Blend great BCAA support and super smooth and blends great with the best flavor while being safe, and simple with ingredients

^I use this brand and buy it by the 5lb bulk bag.

^Gerbs has it in a meal that can be added along with any other of the seed meals to smoothies etc to add more fats, I do suggest checking out this companies selection of sunflower, pumpkin, hemp etc seeds and their dried fruits for snacks. Nuts.com for nuts in bulk at great prices gluten-free (I do not use them due to my peanut allergy)

^Free Samples of all the MRM Vegan Protein powders just pay shipping not bad for a trial run before investing. As mentioned they are a bit more grainy then Nutra key but price wise pretty good on Amazon (Better then the retail site prices)

Gee thanks! Thats awesome Ill order something today. How about orange juice? Safe brands? 

kareng Grand Master

I have never seen an orange juice with gluten.  Not a pb with gluten. Just read ingredients.  That should work for most things.  There are plenty of main stream snacks, protein powders, etc.  you don't have to spend a fortune 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Unless you already know or have identified other food intolerances (that can be temporary or permanent), you can really do gluten free cheaply.  Need a protein snack?  If are not a vegetarian, snack on meat.  I pack my kid sliced chicken breast as part of her snack.   Hardboiled eggs, slice beef, tuna salad.   I often eat fish for breakfast.  Leftovers.  Plenty of fats.  Coconut oil in my coffee, olive oil (lots of it) to cook or coat my salad.  The list is endless.   

Ennis-TX Grand Master
35 minutes ago, kareng said:

I have never seen an orange juice with gluten.  Not a pb with gluten. Just read ingredients.  That should work for most things.  There are plenty of main stream snacks, protein powders, etc.  you don't have to spend a fortune 

I thought the same with peanut butter by my research led me to find that Skippys makes a chocolate blend that contains gluten, there are a few stores that make their own brand of PB on shared lines with "Cookie Dough Peanut Butter" and "Peanut Butter Snack Packs" . But Name brands seem pretty safe after looking into them. -_- I wish I could eat peanut butter again, been using peanut free peanut butter extracts in things to get that craving down. And eating plenty of almond and cashew butter. But as long as you check brands/products FAQ page and read labels you can be OKl

kareng Grand Master

Ok.... maybe the pb with cookie dough could get cookie dough in regular pb...... but I would think the pb is made in the pb machines and some of it is sent to a special mixer to add things like cookie dough.  The regular peanut mixer/squisher would  completely pulverized the cookie dough with the raw peanuts.  And the pretzels or breadsticks packaged in those little packs would have nothing to do with the pB machines.  And some strange flavored PB ?  I think I did say to check ingredients - it would be listed.

I just don't like to see this made harder than it needs to be for newbies.

squirmingitch Veteran

FritoLay gluten free list for the US:

Very trusted company by us Celiacs:

Open Original Shared Link they have nut butters too

Planters is a Kraft product -- Kraft is quite trusted by us. They will always label any gluten and further label any manufacturing info. that might cause a problem such as shared lines.

Charli61 Apprentice

Que Pasa are my go to tortilla chips, not only gluten-free but also non GMO, which is really important to me.

GFinDC Veteran

Jif Natural PB is gluten-free and soy free.  And it tastes better than Skippy too.

Quaker gluten-free marked rice cakes are ok.

You can make corn muffins pretty quick and easy.  There is often a recipe on the package of corn meal.  I use half masa and half corn meal.  A banana added in makes them less crumbly.

Mission brand corn tortillas are gluten-free, I think they were already mentioned.

Flourless peanut butter cookies are not hard, there are recipes online.

Sugar free peanut butter fudge is pretty easy, again recipes are online all over the place.

Archived