Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Awol cast iron stomach

Former life cookbooks? Donate or salvageable?

Rate this topic

So finally able to move those joints again (10 months !!! Sigh), kids off to school, time to do final purge of the possible contaminated items . Most are gone but venturing to basement for donation to food banks, any missed items, brings me to cookbooks.

Did you all pitch your pre diagnosis cook books due to possible cc from flour? I was not much a baker ( hmm subconcious knowledge proir?) However at thanksgiving I use to make pies so that joy of cooking book may be zombified? 

Does it go to donate pile? Are my exercise books stored in same box ok if I wipe over covers since they never saw a kitchen? No peanut gallery comments yes the exercise book in box joints said only walking and occasional biking for past 10 months :)

Respond to the fate of the books ?

I kept all my cookbooks. You could get a clear stiff piece of plastic to put over the open pages and then just wash your hands before you start cooking if you are really worried about it. i used to cook professionally so I have the habit of washing my hands repeatedly while cooking so I have never been concerned about CC from mine. I can see how it might make you nervous though and if you feel better doing it go ahead and replace any you used while baking with wheat flour.

Phew thanks Ravens wood that helps tremendously. You definetly have done more baking than I so I can feel a bit more comfortable following your advice knowing a pro kept hers. 

Ironically I didn't do a lot of wheat flour baking from scratch which now makes a ton of sense. I bake more from scratch now etc than I ever have and prior to that which was only with great grandma who died when I was young. My memories of her are mostly about cooking from scratch.

I'll wipe it down and just be extra cautious at and around the apple pie pages for I do recall sometimes attempting crust from scratch . Often having young kids and a big group caused me to cheat and use store bought prep crust. So hopefully the book had minimal exposure to wheat.

Its mainly the joy of cooking book the others are more vegetarian based books but joy is the one with a wealth of details for a gal like me and one given to me by my mothers dear friend and her daughter at my engagement party . So I am conflicted about it.

You gave me the answer I hoped for, but I very much so was nervous about a trivial potential back slide.

thank you for responding