Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest BERNESES

I Did It!

Guest BERNESES

You guys have all been so supportive this year as I struggled (and tore my hair out) that I wanted to share something personal and important with you. For the last three years I have been in the PhD program in education at UNH. In the first year of the program, my mom passed away very suddenly from a rare form of stomach cancer. The year after that I got married and then three months later became really ill with my gluten-intolerance. But despite evrything, I officially finished the course work for my PhD on Monday (all 82 credits! Yikes!). I can't believe it!

I want to thank all of YOU because without the support of this board (and of course my DH and friends) it may not have happened! Thanks to all of you, Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Congratulations! I am going through something similar to you - I am working on my masters of science (in biology) and had a difficult time in the last year b/c of my celiac. Now, I have one chapter left and a defense, and I'll be done. It definitely shows our strength considering the disadvantages we face from our illness (and being sick so often) that we have made it this far. And, I am so proud of my "sisters" that follow through with advanced degrees! Not enough women out there have masters and Ph.D.'s. So, congrats again!

The temple bell stops

but the sound keeps coming

out of the flowers

-Zen Haiku Master Basho

B--Congrats Congrats! Be proud--you had a lot of overcome. Hope your holidays are good this year, even as you miss your mom... Your story is encouraging to us...especially when I think about going back to school too!

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

Good for you Beverly! Major Congrats!

On a side note, have you been able to do any horseback riding lately? I'm a wimp about the cold weather, so I've stayed away from the barn recently :P

- Lauren

Guest Viola

Congratulations Beverly! That would be a major accomplishment for a healthy person with no problems. Good for you for getting it done under all that stress!

Guest BERNESES

Lauren- I haven't been able to ride lately because it appeared as though it was making me sick. However, I'm willing to try again in the spring- right now we have a ton of snow and it's been in the 20's. No indoor ring either. I won't give up hope! My major goal is to get back to skiing this winter as I had a bad accident last winter (right before we figured out I was gluten in.) and was out for the rest of the season. 2005 was a heck of a year!

Thanks everyone- you ALL rock! B

Congrats, Beverly!!!! Way to go!

That is quite an accomplishment!

Hugs.

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Guest nini

That is a very big accomplishment! Congrats! I'm sure your mom would be so proud of you!

YEAH FOR YOU B, I ADMIRE ALL OF YOU THAT ARE CONTINUING WITH YOUR STUDIES. BRAIN FOG DID NOT HINDER YOU......................YOU MADE IT!!!!!!!

Proud of you. :rolleyes:

Lisa B

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Congrats!

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Congratulations! :) I know how it feels to be done of something that you worked so hard at. It's a great feeling!

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Guest BERNESES

Thanks you guys- if we all lived near each other I'd invite you all over for a BIG gluten-free feast! So, I'm sending you all a big virtual hug instead :D ! B

Congratulations Beverly! That is a big accomplishment and an even bigger one in the face of adversity.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

Beverly,

I wanted to add my congratuations too! I want to get my masters, but so far haven't had enough relieve from the brain fog to do it. I've had to drop out twice now. You give me hope that I too can one day go further with my education.

Thank you.

“This email is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws.”