• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

kathy1

Book Suggestions

Rate this topic

I am wondering if there are any books on the market that refer to the asymptomatic celiac disease patient? Also, are there any books that are written just for children with celiac disease?

I am finding that there are sooooo many books out there, and reading the forum here I am finding out that they are not all good books. I don't want to spend a furtune buying books that will give me the wrong information. I know that so many of you have already done the reading, so your advice is taken seriously.

Thanks!

You'll want to read Dangerous Grains and Wheat Free/Worry Free. There are some debates about books by Jax Lowell (Against the Grain) - I found it humerous and it gave me some good tips on how to deal with others - but some of the info is out of date or not correct. I am a big fan of the library - I get most of my gluten info and especially cook books there. If I really like it I can go buy it, but I've found just having them around to read once (and copy special pages) is handy and quite the money saver. You could check for childrens books too, maybe they'd even order it?

Dangerous Grains is definately a must--a real eye-opener. Another good book for someone new to the gluten-free life is Wheat Free Worry Free by Dana Korn. There's a lot of good, practical advice in there.

Wheat Free, Worry Free by Danna Korn--yes, this is one of the best books. I am now reading Dangerous Grains too--its good. I think I'll emerge even more of a radical :)

There are a few out there for kids. "Eating Gluten-Free with Emily" has gotten some good review. Danna Korn has one on Celiac Kids as well as the Wheat Free-Worry Free book.

Amazon's site for the Emily book has some others listed below as well.

http://www.amazon .com/gp/product/189062762...glance&n=283155

Debbie

Wheat-Free, Worry-Free is really good. I only skimmed Dangerous Grains (in the store), but it looked pretty good from what I saw. Just, naturally, not as celiac-oriented as the former.

"THE AUTOIMMUNE CONNECTION" by Rita Baron-Faust and Jill P. Buyon, M.D.

My daddyO picked it up at my local libray yesterday for me. I sat up all night last night reading. It had more than a chapter on celiac disease and it made it all click for me... Worth reading. They consulted Dr. Green he is quoted in it.

Anyone else read it???

I also found "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" totally fascinating...it has a very good chapter devoted entirely to celiac disease, and it has some information that I hadn't read elsewhere. Very very thought provoking, to say the least. A different perspective on all this.

A few great book I've just read...

"LIVING WELL WITH AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need To Know" by MARY J. SHOMON

"THE AUTOIMMUNE CONNECTION" by RITA BARON-FAUST & JILL P. BUYON, M.D.

"Breaking the Vicious Cycle" is also a very good book.

If you can't afford them go to your local library. If they don't have them ask them to please do a inter-library loan. That is what I'm doing and I'm waiting on "Dangerous Grains" and "The Paleo Diet" http://www.thepaleodiet.com/

I was diagnosed with celiac 3/7/06 and one of the first books I bought was "The Gluten-free Bible" by Jax Lowell. I am now kind of freaking out after reading the post about her info be questionable (ok really freaking). Should I scrap what I've learned and start over??

I found another good book I just finished it this evening. It's not the first book I would read. I would NOT read when just DX it's way to technical. Good information about celiac disease. She writes about a number of other autoimmune disorders and talks about triggers and foods. Newer book Copyright 2002.

AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE and THEIR ENVIRONMENTAL TRIGGERS

by

ELAINE A. MOORE

here a link to read more

But by far a must read for everyone "Dangerous Grains"

Also my 2 favs--Wheat Free Worry Free--great overview on Celiac and the lifestyle, foods etc. Dangerous Grains is good too--more on the different kinds of damage gluten (and dairy) can cause and links to other diseases...MS, cancer etc.

"The Paleo Diet"

Is a wonderful book that will help each and everyone of us. If you haven't read it buy it, borrow it, or order it through your local library (a inter library loan.) I just finished it. Its a great reference. And THE PALEO DIET RECIPES are safe and yummy too.

"Dangerous Grains" must be in your book collection. Some how we have to this book into each and every nutritionist-dietitian, doctors hand to read. If they understood our issues and the disease perhaps we could get better care...

Eating Gluten Free with Emily is a great childrens book. The illustrations are simple and colorful and it explains Celiacs on a childs level without a lot of medical jargen. I read this book to Katharine when she first was diagnosed and it helped her out a lot. We talked about the similarities between her and Emily and talked about what makes Katharine special. The book emphasizes that all kinds of things make a child special. Also that Celiacs is only part of who you are, not the only thing about you. I also read this book to my nephew to help him learn that he can't just give food to Katharine and to help him learn about the disease. Now he is always asking if things are gluten free so he can share with his cousin. I have also offered this book to her kindergarten teacher if children start asking about why Katharine has special play doh or eats special treats on birthdays etc. She may use it if she sees a need. Anyway, we read it all the time, Katharine just really enjoys the story. It puts a positive spin on a difficult thing, but also talks about how a child could sometimes feel lonely, sad or angry about the disease and that they should find an adult to speak with. Anyway sorry for going on, if you can't tell already... we give it 2 gluten free thumbs up!

;) Melissa

what age group is the Emily book for. I looked at it online but it looks a bit young for my dd. She is 7 going on 37! We have been very homest with her about everything that is going on and she has been wonderful, I just don't want to make it too simple for her. It might be a great book to get for my 5 yr old to help understadn why his sister can't eat certain things?

I just bought Let's Eat Out your passport to living gluten-free and allergy Free. I am still very new to this and we eat out alot and it helped me realize we still can!

The absolutely best book for kids is "The G.F. Kid: A Celiac Disease Survival Guide" by Melissa London. (http://www.amazon .com/gluten-free-Kid-Celiac-Disease-Survival/dp/1890627690/ref=sr_1_1/104-2007085-7137553?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189651191&sr=1-1) I first found it in our public library and have since ordered two copies. Each year we've given a copy to my son's teacher to read, so they can learn about and understand celiac disease. It's written about a girl (around 10 years old) who didn't have any symptoms except failure to thrive. The girl has such a positive outlook and focuses on what she can eat and not what she can't. My son is 6, and he loves the story. I can't say enough good things about it.

The absolutely best book for kids is "The G.F. Kid: A Celiac Disease Survival Guide" by Melissa London. (http://www.amazon .com/gluten-free-Kid-Celiac-Disease-Survival/dp/1890627690/ref=sr_1_1/104-2007085-7137553?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189651191&sr=1-1) I first found it in our public library and have since ordered two copies. Each year we've given a copy to my son's teacher to read, so they can learn about and understand celiac disease. It's written about a girl (around 10 years old) who didn't have any symptoms except failure to thrive. The girl has such a positive outlook and focuses on what she can eat and not what she can't. My son is 6, and he loves the story. I can't say enough good things about it.

You must be a Parrothead too. ;)