• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows if birth control pills are gluten free. Specifically, Yasmin pills.

If they are not, does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

-Al

Your pharmacist (sp?) should be able to give you a company number to call to check or look them up online. I found most of my drug info online. Mine were OK and I wouldn't skip a day of mine but you will need to check with the company.

Yes, Yasmin is gluten-free. I take it, and it's great.

Guest mvaught

Anyone have any idea about Ortho-Tri-Cycline-Lo? I get mine from the health center at school, so there is no formal packaging and no pharmacist!

Thanks!!

I checked the website, but that was incredibly UNinformative. And I didn't want to call from work and broadcast my personal business to my co-workers. (Don't you HATE people like that!)

I love this forum! I often get an answer quicker that if I tried to research something myself. You guys are so knowledgeable and generous with your information!!!

Guest nini

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com

anytime I have a question about a prescription, I go to that site first. Then, if I don't get the answer I'm looking for, I come here next!

I take Microgestin, a generic form of Loestrin and it is gluten-free... the pharmacist was actually able to verify that for me.

Guest mvaught

Oh wow - thanks for that link...that is a great list (most of my meds are on it) I noticed that Orth-Tri-Cycline is on it, though I didn't see the Lo version (but the Lo version is pretty new, so aybe it is the same - something to check on). Again thanks so much, that list is so wonderfully helpful 9espically since it has a great many of over the counter items on it as well). I LOVE this site!

orth tri cyclen Lo is gluten free, i used to take it. But I would be really carefull because it you have a reaction to something it could mess up the medication. Because you will not absorbe it. I personally have bypassed my small intestine so that I can make sure that I am getting the medication because I dont want any accidents. I am on the patch. I am very sensitive to gluten and since I have been diagnosed I have been glutened at several gluten free restaurants in the past couple of months. I just like to play it safe beacuse I am going to school and I just dont want there to be an "accident".

Amanda NY

Guest mvaught
orth tri cyclen Lo is gluten free, i used to take it. But I would be really carefull because it you have a reaction to something it could mess up the medication. Because you will not absorbe it. I personally have bypassed my small intestine so that I can make sure that I am getting the medication because I dont want any accidents. I am on the patch. I am very sensitive to gluten and since I have been diagnosed I have been glutened at several gluten free restaurants in the past couple of months. I just like to play it safe beacuse I am going to school and I just dont want there to be an "accident".

Amanda NY

I was wondering, are you very sensitive to birth control - that is the reason i use the LO...I can't tolerate the other doses - I've never tried the patch or ring because it has the same dosageas regular birth control - have you found there to be a difference (and if you have had problems before). I have only recently discovered my celiac, but have had problems fo years - non absorbtion probably is the explaination of one of my boys =)!

From the beging i was put on the LO (pill from since I was 16) I am now 20 and I have been on the patch for about 1 year. I love the patch and I feel that it is very reliable. the reason that I think that I was originally put on the LO was because I have a slender figure. My weight ranges from 100-105. that is why I believe that they have the low, but being on the patch, I have not had any problems. Like I said, I dont want any ACCIDENTS but I feel taking the birth control this way it is kind of fool proof. I can understand your concerns, but I personally have not had any problems with the increase in birth control. Maybe I should ask my BF though LOL (he might think I am little more moody, but I will def. ask). But medically wise I have not had any problems.

If I do have a reaction, this is def. one medication that I do not have to worry about.

I hope that I could help, if not feel free to ask me more questions. :)

Amanda NY

I was wondering, are you very sensitive to birth control - that is the reason i use the LO...I can't tolerate the other doses - I've never tried the patch or ring because it has the same dosageas regular birth control - have you found there to be a difference (and if you have had problems before). I have only recently discovered my celiac, but have had problems fo years - non absorbtion probably is the explaination of one of my boys =)!

you might consider talking to your dr. about the ring - as it isn't oral (same with the patch), the liver doesn't have to process it, and in the case of the ring, the effects don't *appear* to be systemic.

on the other hand, studies have shown synthetic hormones in birthcontrol to lower free testosterone levels in women dramatically - measure for as long as a year after stopping the hormones. (personal pet peeve - I now have chronically low testosterone; I had been on the pill for three years.)

I switched to nuvaring for some of the reason's Tiffany mentioned...didn't want to take any chances, and it has less hormones than oral too. Tiffany--I better watch out for my Test. levels since I've been on bc for like 10 years! (Damn those cysts!)

Guest mvaught
I switched to nuvaring for some of the reason's Tiffany mentioned...didn't want to take any chances, and it has less hormones than oral too. Tiffany--I better watch out for my Test. levels since I've been on bc for like 10 years! (Damn those cysts!)

Really, the ring has lower hormones? For some reason I thought the stuff I take is the lowest - but it would make more sense to me that the ring is lowest...How often must the nuvaring be "installed?"

Yeah- I've already had cyst problems (but I have also been on the pill for like 10 years)! We want another little person soon, though, so I'm stuck on it for now...

-Michelle

Michelle-

Well, I'm not sure about Ortho Lo...I was on Ortho Tri-C, regular. So, your version may be lower. The ring goes in for three weeks, stays out for one for period, just like a regular 28 day pill pak. I feel your pain on the cysts and the pills :(

Guest mvaught

Thanks! I have an appointment soon, so I'll just have to ask. For now at least, I'm going to set my alarm to take my pill in the middle of the night (I already take it late - so I'll try moving it back an hour each night), so that at least it isn' around food time - besides I'm trying t be super careful (but I know sometimes we still have gluten accidents). Anyway, thanks so much for the input.

-Michelle

Really, the ring has lower hormones? For some reason I thought the stuff I take is the lowest - but it would make more sense to me that the ring is lowest...How often must the nuvaring be "installed?"

Yeah- I've already had cyst problems (but I have also been on the pill for like 10 years)! We want another little person soon, though, so I'm stuck on it for now...

-Michelle

Hi Michelle, I read some of your posts and had some questions for you from your experience. It really sounds like you've been through a lot, with all the testing through out the years and I'm sorry to hear that. I have endometriosis and I've also been diagnosed with Celiac last year (after being misdiagnosed and treated like I have mental problems a million times). I've been gluten free for a while and I've been taking Ortho Lo and it seems ok. I like it better than any others I've tried. I really want to have a baby though and am considering getting off the bc. The doctors have already told me in the past that it will be nearly impossible for me to get pregnant b/c of endo and then recently a friend (not a doctor) told me that Celiac was genetic and can possibly cause autism and/or learning disorders in children. I see you mentioned that you were going to try to have another little one soon, so I guess you already have one and I was wondering if you've had any issues with pregnancy or your kids or if you'd heard anything and were worried about trying again. I am both worried about even being able to get pregnant and also if I do, what risks my children would have. I appreciate any input as I am really frustrated. You can also email me too if you'd prefer at lilytaylor1975@yahoo.com

-Lily

Guest mvaught
Hi Michelle, I read some of your posts and had some questions for you from your experience. It really sounds like you've been through a lot, with all the testing through out the years and I'm sorry to hear that. I have endometriosis and I've also been diagnosed with Celiac last year (after being misdiagnosed and treated like I have mental problems a million times). I've been gluten free for a while and I've been taking Ortho Lo and it seems ok. I like it better than any others I've tried. I really want to have a baby though and am considering getting off the bc. The doctors have already told me in the past that it will be nearly impossible for me to get pregnant b/c of endo and then recently a friend (not a doctor) told me that Celiac was genetic and can possibly cause autism and/or learning disorders in children. I see you mentioned that you were going to try to have another little one soon, so I guess you already have one and I was wondering if you've had any issues with pregnancy or your kids or if you'd heard anything and were worried about trying again. I am both worried about even being able to get pregnant and also if I do, what risks my children would have. I appreciate any input as I am really frustrated. You can also email me too if you'd prefer at lilytaylor1975@yahoo.com

-Lily

I just sent you a super long email - hope i didn't talk your ear off and it is helpful - can't wait to hear back from you =)

Necon 7/7/7 Which is a generic for Orth TriCycline 7/7/7 is Gluten free. I spoke with the company directly. Which is awesome because tis only 7 bucks instead of 20. More money for gluten-free food.

Elonwy

Necon 7/7/7 Which is a generic for Orth TriCycline 7/7/7 is Gluten free. I spoke with the company directly. Which is awesome because tis only 7 bucks instead of 20. More money for gluten-free food.

Elonwy

I can't remember the website, but I read a huge forum where a lot of women said that the generic form of ortho lo gave them really bad side effects, whereas ortho lo itself did not. Plus my doctor said there's not officially a generic version of ortho lo, but the regulations for labeling something as "generic" are really lax. I'm gluten free and on ortho lo and have been ok with it. I've had some nausea, but if I take it at night, it seems to be better.